The Kuk Sool List

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Xanth, Mar 7, 2011.

1. JKN-Pellegrini

JKN-Pellegrini Valued Member

Yup. Been there, done that. But if you relocate a lot like I have (in my case to go to college and then three times for the sake of my career), it gets a little old. Beyond the fact that you are often limited in pace and what techniques you're allowed to practice when you get to a new style, the worst part is you have to pay to promote in rank each time. It gets expensive, and it's not worth much if the only new thing you're learning is forms and one-steps (which are just a way to drill and practice the stances and strikes, and other techniques you probably already know if you have a black belt in a similar style).
    Anyway, the worst part IMHO is the price/cost of promoting to the level where you can finally learn new techniques. I could not care less what color belt I'm wearing so long as I can train and learn new things (and am not held back because of formalities like forms). Really, a belt just holds your dobok/gi in place. Respect is earned, and knowledge is gained through training and practice. There is a reason there used to be just two belt "colors" in most traditional martial arts: white and black. And black was usually attained because of wear (it was a white belt that got darker because of wear... belts are traditionally not washed). I think the rainbow of color belts we have in most western traditional eastern martial arts exists to break down a syllabus and make sure students can measure their progress, and not least to make sure associations and schools can make some profit (not that there is anything wrong with that, just that it gets old and expensive when you have to start over repeatedly).
    Anyway, look at that tangent I just went off on... LOL...

2. Humbleseeker

Humbleseeker Valued Member

That's some wisdom JKN I appreciate it. This is my first time in martial arts I know nothing but break aways, and the first part of the first form I forgot the name and the start of the throws, they have a Korean name too. KJN got us right in their and started sparring are first week. KJN only sparred with us at first, and taught me different things. the other students would give me tips when I spar with them. I learn so much every time. I am smoked after 1.5 hrs of training its great. It is like paying to get beat up lol

3. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

You'll lose the benefits that a big organization like the Won can provide, but most likely your school joined with NKMAA or another group. If that’s the only Kuk Sool you can get, then take it. I started Kuk Sool because of Ki Cho Hyung, which are now learning. When I saw a white belt doing that, and compared it to my Tae Kwan Do forms (even at upper belts) I was amazed. I love Kuk Sool Won as an art, it just “clicks” with me, so I’ve stuck with it all these years. I’ve moved around quite a bit for my military career so there are large gaps in my training which explains why I’m only a 1st degree that started in 1989. You can compare arts and you will find that there are better fighting arts, better grappling arts, better this, better that… But you will also find that Kuk Sool (won or not) is a complete art and will give you a lot of bang for your buck. There’s not much activity on this board in regards to Kuk Sool, but please feel free to ask questions and let us know how you’re progressing. Some of us are living vicariously through stories like yours since training in Kuk Sool is just not possible.