The Kuk Sool Global Alliance

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ki_Power, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

I searched, but found nothing.

Can anyone shed any light on this or does anyone have any clue who is behind this website? http://www.kuk-sool.org/

2. KSstudent

KSstudent Valued Member

It's not me......It looks to me that it would be of benifit to students looking for a place to continue their Kuk Sool training with only slight changes in corriculum if they moved somweare that no longer had their current "style" of Kuk Sool. Member Schools would be listed and honor belts from diff. Orgs.

Please correct me if you read it differantly.

3. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

I had posted most of this reply in the Franchise thread before noticing this one. So I have posted again as I think maybe it belongs here!

The KSGA could be a good idea for some schools but........

.......surely if they want to use a name like The Kuk Sool GLOBAL Alliance they should contact every KS school in the WORLD, WKSA and otherwise.

If they were to do that then I for one would certainly be more likely to take them seriously.
    The WKSA schools would be relatively easy to contact as most have addresses and telephone numbers and many have their email addresses on the WKSA web site. It would take only a few minutes to write an email detailing the objectives of the Alliance, including a hyperlink to the site and send it to everyone on the list. But as yet I haven't heard from them. Has anyone else?
    Maybe there is no more information on the website because no-one has registered yet?
    They definitely need to be a bit more proactive. Maybe they will be...........

4. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

The only problem I see with trying to convince WKSA schools to join, is the *sacrosanct* policy against cross-training. I'm sure if someone were to earn their BB from NKMAA, UMSF, HMJ-HKD, etc., then they'd still have to start out as a WHITE BELT if switching to WKSA, just like many TKD BBs have had to do in the past, according to the "we don't share rank with other MA styles" rule. Hadn't this occurred to you? Or do you guys in GB follow a *different* set of rules than us here in the USA?

What a clever fellow you are! :happy:

I read on the website that until they enroll TEN members, there won't be anything displayed showing who has enrolled. So it's safe to assume that less than ten [<10] have taken that *leap of faith* but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's NONE [∅].

Well, the franchise agreement is not quite finalized yet, and it's my guess that the KSGA may be biding their time until people "waiting to see what happens," will stop *riding the fence* and be more receptive/wiling to look into other avenues, before taking more aggressive tactics. Even Wells-Fargo started out as just one guy delivering a letter, so showing a bit more patience before condemning what just might be a viable alternative for those WKSA school owners not willing to *dive into* the franchise, may be the judicious thing to do.

5. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

I thought it was you!

Oh, and there was me thinking it was you! ;)

6. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

well...since nobody else is speaking up, I could always "take-over"! :evil:

7. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

No Unknown we follow the same rules! I can understand a TKD Black Belt having to start again as a white belt as the syllabus is vastly diferent. It has never happened to me, but for someone who has studied a diferent "version" of KS surely we should be allowed to test them and then let them take whatever rank we feel they deserve?

Probably right. But unless they start by contacting KS schools wholesale they are unlikely I feel, to create too much interest. However I will wait with interest to see what happens.

I am sure you are right and I certainly wouldnt want to condemn anyone for trying to make things better. I will do as you suggest and be patient!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  8. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

A friend of mine suggested: "Maybe the KSGA has been put forward by an agent of WKSA/GMIHS to 'fish' for [find out] those who are considering leaving WKSA, etc."

9. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

Its possible I suppose, but I doubt if anyone would register with the KSGA if they were only "thinking" about leaving. I doubt anyone would risk registration unless they had actually left.
    Also, surely if it were an agent of the WKSA they would have sent an email to every WKSA school soliciting members?

10. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

You're probably right...

You're probably right, but it still seems to me that someone is 'fishing' to find out if it (the KSGA) is a viable concern. If they don't get ten schools sign up soon, they risk becoming a bit of a joke. Come on KSGA, stand up and show your true face so that everyone can start to take you seriously!

11. unknown-KJN

I bet your friend believes in Remo Williams or 007, too. Seriously, WKSA could care less WHO has decided to leave, as they'll find out once those unwilling school owners fail to return the franchise document with their signature. In fact, many have not even returned a signed FDD (Full Disclosure Document), but it's my guess that WKSA will send the final rendition of the franchise document to EVERYONE on the school owner list in the USA, in hopes of not "losing" any schools unnecessarily.

But until then, I suppose we'll just have to wait & see....

12. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Darn it!!! First Santa Clause and now I have to find out about Remo and James this way!!!

I don't know what to do with myself now...and to think I almost nailed walking on sand without leaving footprints!

13. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

The more I think about this KSGA the less I like it! They are asking school owners or students to "Come join us, especially if you are skeptical about franchising with your present organization" (obviously an attempt to lure away current WKSA members).
    Their application for membership requires that you supply your name plus your school name and address, which they say, when they have 10 or more members, they will publish on the site. However, they have not got the courage to let those who MAY be interested know who THEY actually are until several others have taken a huge gambol and released such information! Why is that? If they are indeed school owners themselves, why don't they just come out in the open?
    While I can see the attraction of a non biased, no-profit organisation of like-minded MAists I dont see how any school owner could possibly take such a gambol on going public about any dissatisfaction they may have with their current organisation without knowing who is behind this group?
    They say they have 3 current members...I wonder if these are just the founders? Is there anyone out there willing to own up to "signing up with them? You may as well do, because according to the site, your details will be up there for all to see as soon as 7 more take the plunge.
    And as for students signing up, rather than school owners, they would be advised to consider what effect this might have on their current school owners status with their organisation before they get too enthused by the idea.
    Something doesn't seem quite right here.......

14. unknown-KJN

I don't think there's any "luring" going on there, but merely reassurance that there will be *support* for anyone not willing to sign the franchise agreement. Don't forget what you, yourself, said just a few posts back:

So I doubt if anyone that has enrolled is *worried* about their choice being made public, and who's to say that some of those enrolled aren't already ex-WKSA? Consider the fact that there's *strength in numbers* and this may be why they want to wait before publishing more revealing information about their membership. I agree that the unwillingness of those who created the site is rather questionable, but I suspect it's like you posted elsewhere (just not in THIS thread) that they may be hedging their bets if this idea fizzles. That way they can crawl back to WKSA in "good standing" rather than be cast away after being shredded, tattered, and torn (meaning their return gets rejected for instigating a mutiny).

If you mean that a student might sign up their instructor without their instructor's approval, then I agree, that doesn't seem right. NO... let me restate that idea, it ISN'T right! The site clearly states that enrollment is for school owners ONLY. Hopefully no one is so unscrupulous as to do such an underhanded thing.

15. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

You know, I spent about an hour this morning scouring this KSGA Website...and here's what I think.

I left the WKSA with my Teacher. I have NO ill feelings towards anyone that remains part of the WKSA or any other org. I still have fellow students who are in the WKSA. Now I'm KSSD (Kuk Sool of San Diego), associated with my teacher who is KSCA (Kuk Sool of California). *I love acronyms!

I believe and feel there should be no segregation between any of our organizations...WKSA, KSGA, KSSD, KSCA, KSK, KSHKD, UMSF, Etc...

...and I get what the KSGA is about now...I just had to marinate on it for a while. It's not a fishing scheme or lure to "find" out who may be leaving the WKSA...it's simply a way to unite all the brothers and sisters of KUK SOOL <---regardless what word comes before of after [KUK SOOL].

"Joining" them [KSGA] doesn't mean you are turning your back on your present org., nor does it imply that you will now belong to them exclusively...* I didn't see a contract or franchise agreement. I think it is simply a networking tool.

EX: I'm going on vacation to Louisiana...I wonder if there is a Kuk Sool based school there where I can train??? Hmmm, I'll check the KSGA website for a list of non-biased schools...oh! there's one! Awesome! A place where I can go train away from home that won't have me looking behind my back like I have the KGB following me! :woo:

I’m beginning to think this is going to be the start of a really good idea…unification! :cool:

I know since I’m a single entity it’s easier, and our fellow players in the WKSA couldn’t just do this…but maybe one day the chains will be loosened. I’m going to give it a try…I like to take risks! I mean, if nobody ever "tried" where would we be…I’m signing up…Heck, when the originator finally reveals him/herself, I'm going to request I be a board member!

...and I want every Kuk Sool practitioner out there to know, if you ever want to join my school, I will recognize your present rank (provided I test you for that rank and you pass), and if you are visiting from any other Kuk Sool School, come and train with us, and I’ll keep your secret safe if you need it be.

I love you all!

Semper-Kuk Sool!

16. karma

karma Valued Member

very nice post.

17. KSstudent

KSstudent Valued Member

Thats My take on what its fore also!

18. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

I firmly believe that Kuk Sool will eventually end up with many different styles and organisations, in the same way that Karate has. Whilst I am no expert on Karate, the history books tell us that modern-day Karate started out with just three different variants of te (hand art), which were named after the regions or provinces of Okinawa they came from. These styles of te were called: Shuri-te, Naha-te, and Tomari-te. All three had their origins from, or were highly influenced by, Chinese martial arts systems anyway. Although there were of course earlier known methods of fighting, they were more-or-less replaced, or made redundant (to an extent at least) by these more modern systems. Nowadays, there are many different styles and systems of Karate. (Please don't confuse 'style' with 'system' by the way.)

In the same way that In Hyuk Suh and his brother In Sun Seo have chosen slightly different paths [here I go again about 'choice of paths' in life!], it may well prove to be that IHS's own sons may one day do likewise. Even if his natural blood sons do not, many of his 'adopted sons' (the WKSA Masters) WILL eventually break away. THIS PROCESS IS ENTIRELY NATURAL in life. So I suggest you accept it, and move on.

19. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

One thing that concerns me about the KGSA enrollment form is that it is a bit too simple. Normally I would say simple is best, but not in this case. The site does not ask for any kind of verification of your school or qualifications. Hopefully they will do do checks to verify the identity and maybe the rank of anyone who fills in the application form before publishing their details when they reach the "magic" figure of 10 members enrolled. Otherwise there is nothing to stop any unscrupulous people from completing the details for any school and registering "on their behalf" when they don't actually want to be registered at all. I am not saying that I think that is likely, but it is certainly possible. Having their details published on such a website could obviously be potentially disastrous to the future of, for example, WKSA schools who want to carry on with their current organisation. And if that were to happen it wouldn't do much for the credibility of the KSGA either.
    Another point is that despite the name of Kuk Sool GLOBAL Alliance, the form does not allow for schools from any other countries to "sign up" should they wish to.
    Finally despite being refuted by others on this forum I still maintain that to use the phrase.. "Come join us, especially if you are skeptical about franchising with your present organization" gives the impression that the site is hoping to attract those who are simply not sure about the franchising issue, rather than those who have already left the WKSA. This could be seen as an attempt to "lure" them out of the WKSA. I am not saying that is what they intend, simply that it could easily be seen that way.
    As I have said before, there may well be a case for a virtual networking organisation of this kind, and I certainly wouldn't condemn it. All of the positive things mentioned in previous posts about the idea are certainly valid. However, I think those behind it need to give the site a little bit more thought to avoid potential problems and to ensure their own success.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  20. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

OK. So somone out there is listening! I note that the "offfending" quote I mentioned above has now been changed and they have said that there will be a form for schools outside of the USA "soon". I would still like to see some reassurance that before School details are published, that checks will be made to ensure that the application for enrolment is genuine, but even so what they have done so far is positive and could certainly be beneficial to non-WKSA KS schools. I can't see anyone from the WKSA joining though. Be interesting to see how it pans out in future.