The Knight Shop / Dave Rawlings Sparring Swords

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by mr nate, Dec 8, 2009.

1. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

Below is the latest info from The Knight Shop

Hello Chaps

I now have a confirmed release date for the Longswords (hand & half) from the factory.

Blades will be ready for the end of December.

Cross Guard and Pommels - middle of January.

Grip - middle to end (hopefully middle) of January.

So full product will be on the shelves middle to end of January.

We are going to work with retailers to try and maintain a fixed price globally. Being (no more than):

Price for full sword is £40 (ex VAT)

Blades are £25 (ex VAT)

Basic Guards £10 (ex VAT)

Basic Pommel £10 (ex VAT)

Replacement Grip £10 (ex VAT)

Pictures and videos will be posted this week along with lots more info.

We will also be doing a special price for pre-orders of only £35 (inc VAT) - they go live on the site next week...

Single Hand Sword Blades will be ready by end of December.

Guards & Pommels - end of January.

Complex Hilts Early Feb

After this we should be releasing new guards, pommels and blades at a rate of 1-2 a month. Initailly this will be based on what you have told us so far.

A concept view of the construction of the hilt. Photos will go up shortly.

The standard guard is made from reinforced nylon. The ball shaped quillons are designed for safety when sparring (large surface area = less chance of being impaled). They are exactly the same size as the ones shown on the Del Tin 15th Century sword to the right. A nice example of a historical design that helps us with safe sparring!

The grip is made from a thermoplastic elasomer to closely replicate the feel of a leather wrapped wooden handle. It serves to soften any impact but does not feel spongy to the touch.

The handle is reinforced by a threaded steel rod molded into it and right down and into the first couple of inches of blade. This stops any flex in the handle and reinforces the weak blade to tang joint where breakage is more likely to occur.

The pommel is contructed from nylon (less likely to damage your fencing mask on a pommel strike) and is weighted to give the sword realistic balance. Different weights of pommel will be available to change balance to suit.

Guards and pommels will be BLACK.

Grips will be DARK BROWN.

Blade colour will be GREY (almost matt metalic but not silver - we don't want this to look like a toy sword)

Museum Replicas are going to be retailing and distributing these swords in the USA shortly so postage won't be expensive for you guys at all.

Pictures can be seen here

http://http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13171&start=220

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yea, just a shame they're still gonna suck. Nylon just isn't an appropriate material for fencing. Atleast the don't cost £80 of suck like the last set.

The Bear.

3. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

Wow, guess you didn't like the 1st model then?

These are much better and they are very much appropriate for fencing, atleast most of the WMA groups think so and they can't all be wrong.

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

First model was pretty bad.
    too flexible, too bouncy, bad balance and causes massive bruising and skin tears. I much prefered their wooden wasters except their cross-pieces broke when doing german style longsword after a week. If I could have a more durable wooden weapon I would buy that everytime.

The Bear.

5. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Argumentum ad Populum.

Personally, I don't practice this style so the debate is entirely academic to me, but "everybody can't be wrong" isn't evidence.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yes I am constantly amazed by the numbers of people who watch the X-factor and think it's good.

The Bear.