The Knees have it

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xue Sheng, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I have had to stop JKD class...again. Basically at the "Dang I'm old" point.

I go to class wearing knee braces and I'm fine. But when I train at home in those same knee braces I'm not fine, my knees hurt for 2 days. So I take a 2 day rest and try training again.....and my knees hurt for 2 days. Noticed about 2 weeks ago that my knees did not feel right at all even with 2 days off. Then doing regular work any homeowner has to do I noticed my knees, mainly the left getting worse. So I went to wear a compression sleeve on that knee most of the time. But then I went to push hands class twice in one day this past weekend and I felt great. So I went home and tried to do some JKD on the heavy bag. This was a mistake.

The knee sleeve no longer helps the left knee, but the right is doing ok, does not seem to be as much of a problem as it was previously, but it is still bothering me a bit. However I am once again in a semi-rigid knee brace for my left knee just to be able to walk normally. Can't do taijiquan, Xingyiquan, of Yiquan stance training due to the left knee, without the knee brace. And now even with the knee brace JKD and Xingyi are not really good ideas right now.

This decision was actually harder to make than the last time I had to stop JKD do to the thinning retina. That was basically "If get hit in the head" "Then possibly go blind" kind of thing (sorry about the Computer programming If/Then reference, I am an IT guy after all). But this time my brain clicked back to the younger me who believed you need to work through the pain. And when you are in your 20s and 30s that actually seems to work....although I do believe you pay for it later...but in your 50s it does not work and you need to stop and recover, or you will eventually stop because you can't do it anymore and you won't recover

I truly enjoyed the training, the other students and the teacher, but at this point it is probably best to take a break to get the knees back and then do some strengthening and loose some weight. Then depending on where I am at with the other arts I train, and based on my schedule, I might be able to return.

I'm closer to 60 than 50, I'm arthritic, and currently over weight. But I am still not ready to say I am to old and beat up for JKD....I might be, but I'm not will to admit it just yet.

I have now given JKD a try 3 times, the first time my right knee and the teacher relocating to the southern part of the US stopped me. The second time it was my eye and some minor hip and knee pain (but no braces were needed) The third time it is my left knee with a little help from my right. Who knows, maybe the fourth times is the charm...when and if there is a 4th time

2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Wow, that is a pity. But taking a break is a good idea if you have trouble like that. Hopefully you will be getting better soon :/
    Did you also go to see a doctor about it? Do you know what the cause of the pain is? The arthritis?

Xue Sheng likes this.
  3. Xue Sheng

Thanks.
    Saw doctors (note plural) about starting years ago and as recent as last year.

I blew out one knee many years ago and injured the other shortly afterward. It was all part of my 2 years on crutches, canes and wearing knee braces. Broke the left ankle, then tore the cartilage in the right knee, then bruised the left knee joint. And now, arthritis is in both knees and both hips.

However proper diet helps with the arthritis and I have not been following a proper diet of late.

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

That must be a bitter pill to swallow :(

Such conflict! I recall the frustration of stopping training because of a car crash. In my 20s that was frustrating, but I could see how it panned out for return.

It sounds like you have some options, although not the ones best in your favour.

If I saw an older guy coming into class with knee braces I would think they had some spirit!
    You've done well to persevere this far!

5. Xue Sheng

They never saw the knee braces, I wore sweatpants ;)

And thank you.
    Hey, it ain't over till its over. And like you said, I have options

axelb likes this.
  6. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Wow, that sounds... terrible :/ I am so sorry to hear that. I mean... from how this sounds, it is good you are still even able to walk...
    I hope you will be able to get better enough to restart JKD some day...

7. Xue Sheng

Thanks, that 2 years of ankle and knee issues ended about 6 years ago. Walking it fine, generally, although I have been told I should not run. I'll wear the braces for a couple weeks and I should be fine

The irony here is the very first day of the JKD class I saw my first shifu, who is now close to 70. His exact words for me, when I told him I was going to start JKD were "You're to old for Jeet Kune Do...stick with taiji" Dang, he may have been right.. I hate when that happens

8. Xue Sheng

Actually been without a knee brace today..... so far so good

axelb likes this.
  9. Xue Sheng

Yesterday I was able to do the Sun Short form I know and the Yang Long form yesterday...without knee braces...have not been able to do that for a few weeks

axelb likes this.