The Kama

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by |-KINJO-|, Nov 10, 2003.

1. |-KINJO-|

|-KINJO-| Valued Member

Hmm, that's weird. I can't seem to find any threads about kamas. Anyways, I am a kama weilder (single/double) and trying to specialize on this weapon as far as I can. I'm quite clear with the spinning from the normal grip to the reverse grip, as well as 'flicking' them by relaxing the wrists (don't know if you get what I mean...).
    Is there anyone who can provide further sources or tips or tricks to add up my sleeve in Kama play?

2. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Learn some katas - that will add more depth to your training. If you can't find any, make some up.

I don't really know what kind of kama work you are doing though - are you 'traditional' or 'modern'. If you are 'traditional' then Mikio Nishiuchi might be able to help you out (at Panther Videos).

If you are doing what I would call 'modern' (freestyle form things) you might want to chat to a guy called Ashley Beck. One (at least)of his students is here on MAP, and he's pretty hot with his twirly weapons of mass destruction :) He used to have a website with info on (I think).

Of course that is here in England, but the internet is a wonderful thing.

3. |-KINJO-|

|-KINJO-| Valued Member

Hey thanks man. Is Ashley Beck guy you're talking about a member of this community?
    I've not much problems with traditional stuffs, just want to add some fancy stuff to my existing knowledge. Yup, so to say to increase that freestyle element. "he's pretty hot with his twirly weapons of mass destruction"--> sounds 'destructive' to me. haha...

4. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

I don't think Ashley Beck is actually a member, but I saw a picture of him in the photo album on MAP. One of his students is a member however - I think her name is Samantha or Sam or something. SOMEONE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME.......anyone there.....hello? (LOL)

I can't help you with the fancy stuff, sorry. Maybe find some stuff about Mike 'Chat' - the guy who is World Freestyle Forms champion. He speciality is the gama/kama.

Hope this helps

-T

5. |-KINJO-|

|-KINJO-| Valued Member

Geez.. Thanks buddy...
    That's the problem when the country forbids such weapon practice... Lack of local resource... Hur~

6. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Looks like you are up a certain creek without a certain paddle :S