The Kajukenbo Hui

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Nuck Chorris, Jan 11, 2008.

1. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I'll let Dan field this one in more depth, but I can say that if you read the site, there are pretty strict guidelines for rank. So there is no rank skipping, and no promotions without achieving those standards, no matter how many people support you.

Personally, I don't see the big fuss about this, as the organization is more about bringing everyone together, than ranking black belts.

2. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

The members of the Hui only set the guidelines by which someone is to be promoted. The members don't vote on an individual application for promotion. So what works for one, works for all who qualify under those guidelines. The point is that there is a fair and objective criteria by which one will gain recognition of rank.

I hope that answers your question.

3. KempoFist

Answers a few of mine that have been lingering as well...good thing I'm not on any board/counsel/panel, else we'd be in a world of trouble ;)

4. Luis1968

Luis1968 New Member

I have been following this thread ,this is a statement by james that i can agree with.. while not in MA for that long i have seen this happen to a few folk.

5. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

So who does decide on the promotion since you said there is no board? It's only the guidlines that are democratic?

6. Nuck Chorris

The members of the Hui set the standards by which someone is promoted. The officer(s) who are appointed by the Hui look to see if the criteria has been met. If the criteria has been met, the officer(s) promote on behalf of the Hui. If the officer(s) don't think the criteria has been met, the candidate may appeal directly to the Hui for a special review. At which point, the members of the Hui will elect a 7 member board of appeal. This board will review the candidate's application and make a final decision.

7. KempoFist

Unity through 100% of the Ohana directly. Crazy thought.

8. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well, I'm not sure how six guys and a bunch of cross ranked people are considered 100% of the Ohana, but I was only a History major.

9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Thanks for the replies... I have a few more questions:

1. Do you have a Quorum for the voting process when setting the criteria for promotion and for election of officers? If so, what is the Quorum? If not, why?

2. What is the process for removing rank through the Hui? For instance, say it is found out that someone lied about their qualifications.

3. Can non-black belts gain their black belt through the Hui? For instance someone has been in martial arts fifteen years but never got a black belt or they had one and it was taken away by their organization.

4. Is the criteria for rank promotion going to be disclosed publicly? If not, why?

5. Are members of the Hui expected to follow the same promotion guidelines for their own school? If not, why? If so, why? For instance, say someone meets all requirements and is promoted to 9th degree black belt through the Hui. Then they promote all their students (regardless of what qualifications they have) to 8th degree? Or say someone gets promoted to 2nd degree black belt by the Hui and then they start a program where people pay him $10,000 and he gives them a black belt in Kajukenbo automatically... and by the way the program sucks and other members of the Hui complain.

That's about it for now. Thanks.

10. Nuck Chorris

Is this Yamaguchi (sp?) Regardless, thank you for the constructive questions. Dan is going to think what he thinks because he is a puppet for someone else. It is obvious that he has no real interest in getting questions answered based on his rhetoric here on the board. I am sure when Danjo meets all these "cross ranked" Hui in person he'll have a different tone.

To answer your questions:

1. The election of officers is a simple majority vote. The setting of the criteria is a 2/3rds super majority. We started the standards off somewhat conservatively so it would discourage people from jumping ship from one instructor or organization to the Hui. For example, KSDI tends to promote on schedule every 3 years for upper ranks (no requirement for hours of mat time etc.) The Hui requires a minimum of 4 years and 800 hours for 6th and 7th then 5 years/1000 hours for 8th and above.

2. The background check and the process by which one receives rank is somewhat lengthy. Obviously we want to be as accurate as possible. The Hui has not set a means by which to remove someone's rank. That of course can be changed by the members of the Hui if they feel it is necessary.

3. The Hui does not have any means by which someone can attain the rank of black in Kajukenbo. This means that people outside Kajukenbo who are black belt who would like to be cross ranked may also not apply to the Hui or receive recognition of rank from the Hui.

4. It is disclosed on the website. www.kajukenbohui.com

5. What one does in one's own house is his/her business. I think that rule is pretty universal among all the organizations. If the members of the Hui feel that a change is needed, they may vote to change the regulations by which all in the Hui are subject.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like you are off to a good start and have thought things out. Still, I don't think it will be easy though, best of luck.

Yes sir, this is Yamauchi from Mateo Kajukenbo.

12. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I doubt that.

13. Nuck Chorris

Say hey to Professor Frank for me.

Thanks for the wishes.

14. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

If that ain't a bunch of Hoo-Eeeee :D

15. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Yeah I know. I get all intimidated and change my story when I meet people in person....er...wait a minute...no I don't.

If I don't say certain things it's due to respect for either the person or the circumstance. I won't say things out of line to people I respect. I won't go into someone's house and disrespect them. I won't screw up someone's ceremony in order to vent my opinions etc. etc. But I never stop out of fear or intimidation. Not in my nature. If something's true, then I will say it if the time and place are appropriate. If I'm shown to be wrong, then I'll admit it. I don't need everyone to like me in order to be ok and I don't hold grudges.

A lot of this boils down to opinions. I've got mine which are fairly obvious. How much does that matter? Well, if Dan Tyrrell is someone who is far from being the head of the system, that only puts me even lower on the food chain. I'm not claiming any authority to tell him how to do things, just asking questions and sharing my views about His attempts to recruit everyone in Kenpoland to the Hui. There's even a thread on San Jose Kenpo about everyone getting emails and none of them knowing what it's about except Gary Brewer (nice to have a spokesman). Why would a letter be sent to that many non-Kajukenbo people if it wasn't an attempt to cross-rank and merely gain large numbers?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  16. Nuck Chorris

I emailed everyone who had an account on Emperado.com. Since I do not do all of the admissions on the board there may be Kenpo practitioners that are members there. I am fine with it because they are extended family. I suppose that is why the letter I wrote announcing the Hui begins by saying "To the Kajukenbo Ohana and Extended Family:" Gary can take part in whatever discussion he feels he would like. He has Kajukenbo training from ways back. Regardless, he is not a spokesperson for the Hui. I am slightly flattered that there are other people discussing the issue on non-Kaju boards. I will have to check out their website to see what is being discussed.

There is no method by which non-Kajukenbo black belts can attain rank via the Hui. Only Kajukenbo black belts may join the Hui and benefit from the Hui.

You can feel whatever you like Dan. I really have no problems with it and I am not out to sway your opinion. Just letting people know what the facts are about the Hui. Nothing more, nothing less.

17. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

And that's as good a place as any for me to jump off of this bandwagon.

18. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

:eek: Oh Hoo-Eeee you done killed me humor :p

19. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Sorry. I be dense sumtimze

20. KempoFist

I stand corrected, allow me to rephrase. 100% of the Ohana that believes in and supports the ideals of standards in rank and progress of the art. The org is inclusive not exclusive, so you can belong to any other group or organization you please. But if you want to help such a cause, then we welcome all Kajukenbo brothers regardless of politics and affiliation with open arms. Oh and I know Dan already said it, but I feel it should be repeated, the Hui does not cross rank.