The Judo Double Leg Take Down

Discussion in 'Judo' started by CraneFist, Jun 7, 2013.

1. CraneFist

CraneFist New Member

My wrestling teacher always has us change levels first, and then do a penetration step when we go for the double leg.

I noticed Judo guys don't bother with the level change and just drop while making the penetration step if they step at all (starting from so close usually).

Is there a reason why you don't change levels in Judo before performing the double leg?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Its not allowed in judo at all nowadays.

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

fusen is right are you sure what you have been watching is even judo.

4. righty

righty Valued Member

Not allowed in most modern competitions.
    That doesn't mean it's still not taught in Judo.

5. Dead_pool

its not taught at the two judo schools I frequent, it is taught by the olympian that occasional teaches at my home BJJ gym.

I always assumed its taught differently due to the Gi, having grips makes it much easier to sprawl of a collar grip.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

It wasn't taught at schools I've been to either. A long time ago, I have seen someone perform this at one of the Judo classes and he was reprimanded. (Guess who)

A friend/teacher of a JJ taught this to others from a Judo school (away), but Judo is about "Gentle Way", that is why it was created leaving behind such tactics.

7. Dead_pool

leg attacks were only banned in comp comparitivly recently
    And leg pickups were a very strong part of kano's original judo.

8. 47MartialMan

Are we talking about a "flying scissors kick-trap?

9. Dead_pool

no, were talking about griping the legs and picking someone up to throw them.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi8MmLyD4ps"]Judo Double Leg Takedown (morote gari) with Matt D'Aquino - YouTube[/ame]

Basic wrestling takedown.

11. 47MartialMan

Ah. My mistake. Pardon me-my apology

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

There is a 'slight' level change.

Because of the gi, Judoka start closer together so there is less of a need to get as low as a Wrestler due to the reaction gap. The kuzushi on the opponent will break them 'high', also facilitating less need for such a dramatic level change.

13. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

comparison

We used double legs in judo all the time up until the rule changes (?5 years ago). It was different in a few ways than the wrestling double leg that I learnt in school. The judo double leg was more of a pick up move and then put the guy down for ippon. The wrestling double leg was much more of a blast through the person to take away their legs (in some ways more like a tackle in rugby). Of course they could each be done with similar variations but they each had their flavours. The wrestling move seemed more suitable as an attacking shoot while the judo move more of an aggressive counter to someone coming in to do a throw (as well as what Freeform said).

My understanding of both systems is elementary at best so take my observations in that light .....

LFD

14. Dead_pool

I thought direct leg attacks were banned a few years ago, but indirect (i.e. as a throw counter) was only banned last year?

15. Hive

Hive Valued Member

16. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Judo double leg take down is awesome, all judo leg grasping take downs are awesome. Just sayin.

17. Dead_pool

thanks for sharing.

18. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

If I want to incorporate these leg take downs if I join a judo class do you think it would be possible?

Also do they teach you how to roll?

19. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Now that they're illegal in Judo competition, most Judo clubs won't teach them or let you use them in sparring.
    This sort of thing, you mean?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztmcgEuzo9Y"]Zenpo Kaiten Ukemi - YouTube[/ame]
    Yes, most definitely, though the purpose isn't to get good at rolling, but to practice landing correctly from a throw.

If you mean "rolling" like BJJ sparring ([ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ceTwCJwU-w"]Jon Fitch rolling (jiu-jitsu) in a Gi - YouTube[/ame]), then Judo groundwork is broadly similar but with slightly different goals and it's normally less of a focus.

20. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Are the required for testing still as some are still listed in the kodakhan fundamental techniques? (Kata garuma, marote gari, ...). I've been to clubs that teach and roll with them. Though they are also open to other competition formats like no gi

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014