The joker

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

.... So I hadn't heard much and assumed it would be trash, then I caught the trailer....

This looks so good, really surprisingly good.

Grond and axelb like this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

IGN gave it 10/10.

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

IMDb has it on 9.8/10, looks like October is gonna be fun!

4. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I can't stand most comic book films, but yah I'm totally going to see this.

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I got friends in the industry who watched the press screening and told me its one of the best films about. And I like Joaquin Phoenix as an actor...

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I can't remember any time Joaquin Phoenix produced anything other than excellence. He may actually be the greatest actor of my generation. He's killed at everything up to and including the Man in Black, Johnny Cash himself. It'd be him or Leonardo DiCaprio.

The sad thing is Heath Ledger's uncanny portrayal of Joker will be lost in time, like all things. This trailer makes me wonder how and when they will introduce Batman, and who will play him next.

7. Pretty In Pink

I was under the impression this is a stand alone piece. I do know though that Robert Pattinson is set to be the new Batman.

8. Mushroom

Yeah its a stand alone piece. Although it could easily be not "our" Joker...(even though they are using canon names).

Well excited for it.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I think I had purposefully forgotten about that, but lo and behold..there are definite possibilities of a crossover based on some potential spoilers on the part of Pattinson. Apparently because the new Batman movie is an origin film, and so is Joker, and the whole DC universe split.

Besides where in the DC universe is there a Gotham City without a Batman? So this movie might not be so stand alone as it is setting up a longer, epic story arc.

Robert Pattinson Sparks Theory His Batman Will Crossover With Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker

10. Mushroom

There is a casting for a "young Bruce Wayne"...so its possible that R-Pats-Man will meet with Joke-quin Phoenix. But then the age difference will be an issue...hence I think this Joker origin story will be Joker Mk.1

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Why would an age difference matter? The original Joker was far older than young Master Wayne, was he not?

12. Dead_pool

All the clickbait movie sites say joaquin phoenix only signed on, because this wasn't part of the greater DSU, and they're wouldn't be follow on films.

Grond likes this.
  13. Mushroom

Not much older (depending on which Universe as DC rebooted theirs multiple times) Batman is supposed to be same age as Superman (32). Whilst Joker is supposedly slightly older (40 at most) - but its not actually known hence the whole mystique of the character. But we do know that originally, he was the Red Hood, who had a wife and baby to look after. Hence his one crime attempt and falling into a vat of acid and that was Batman Year One.

So....Joaquin being mid 40s. And Bruce being about 10-12 when Martha dies (no one cared about Thomas) and lets say Bruce becomes Batman around 25 at the earliest...making Joker closer to 60 by the time its Batman Year One (which is the rumoured R-Patz role)

Grond likes this.
  14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Well it wouldn't be the first time they changed something from the comics and still called it canon.

I just read Joker won the Venice Film Festival. Wow, a comic book movie??? Brave new world..

Is Joker going to win an Oscar or two? Phoenix is due...3 nominations, 0 wins.

15. Pretty In Pink

I remember someone on a forum saying that they hadn't seen the Dark Knight but they were sure that Heath Ledger only got a sympathy Oscar. That person then watched the film and took it all back.

Thankfully Phoenix I'm sure will be fine and we can all enjoy the film.

There is also some mild concern that this film will create copycats and that it might encourage acts of violence from incels who see it as justification.

Grond likes this.
  16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I hate you.

Mushroom and Grond like this.
  17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Life imitating art imitating life. Batman copies are everywhere. He's the comic archtype for flawed human heroism since 1940, unlike Superman who is not human Mr Perfect. Nobody can be Superman in real life, but being Batman is just inside the realm of possible, in a conceptual way.

Lots of quiet heroes working the shadows of the city...the comic theme is that without them, the evil men fear nothing and get away with everything. Police, firefighters, EMS, social workers like the one in the trailer.

It's hard to find a comic character more copied in art and real life than the Bat, I think. Only a couple other older contenders come to mind, like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  18. Mushroom

You heard it here first!

19. Mushroom

Yeah that's been bandied about by sites like Cracked and weirdly enough like Financial Times. I assume none of them have seen Taxi Driver then....

Grond likes this.
  20. Pretty In Pink

But didn't some guy also do similar because of that film?