The inadequacy of Hapkido...

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by MaxG, Jun 5, 2006.

1. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Relax. I'm just kidding. I just thought I'd have a title that grabbed your attention. ;)

For the most part I see that most practitioners are cross training nowadays. I'd like to know what areas or styles do other Hapkido practitioners draw from to round out their curriculum.

Please. If you don't believe in doing this. Fine. That is your way and no one is criticizing you for it. However please don't post on this thread about keeping Hapkido "pure" or Hapkido not needing anything else. That is your belief and you're welcome to it. However I want this thread to be strictly for those that have chosen to add to their Hapkido curriculum and for those that have chosen to do so to list/describe what they've added and from what style/system.

For example at my school we have added the stick and knife techniques from respected MA's as Steve Tarani (who trained under Guron and Inosanto) and Julius Melegrito (who is under the Presas family). Also ground techniques of BJJ and Catch Wrestling. So what "spices" have you added to your Hapkido soup?

2. JimH

JimH Valued Member

For me :
    I came into hapkido/Combat Hapkido with training in various arts:
    Boxing,wrestling,Karate,Kenpo,TKD, wing chun,Krav Maga,Aikido and Military combatives

Since I have been in CH :
    The arts available as in traditional Hapkido cane,short stick as well as the non traditional Hapkido arts of BJJ and FMA.

Outside of CH:
    Reality Based Self Defense ( which also use MMA, Pistol,knife,improvised weapons) WWII combatives,Commando Krav Maga(some Kapap/Lotar),Elements of PPCT,Japanese sword and weapons.

3. rangerwalker

rangerwalker Valued Member

My instructor was, as you described, one of those that felt hapkido was the best at everything and you didn't need to look at other arts to supplement what you learned in his class. I felt otherwise. I think hapkido provides a great base in a broad variety of techniques but, aside from breakfalling, joint locking and kicking, I think all the other areas of hapkido could be supplemented by looking at other styles that specialize in the type of techniques you want to improve upon. The goal is not to add a new style to your hapkido, but build upon what you already know.

Personally, I added boxing combinations and drills using the focus pads. I took some of the jeet kune do kickboxing combinations (which I think they got from muay thai) and added that to what I teach now. I've added some additional throws from judo, but more importantly, I've added their training methods (randori, fit-ins, combination throws) which you can use to improve even the most basic throws. And of course, I've added brazilian jiujitsu's (and judo's) ground grappling techniques, drills and training methods (John Will, a machado black belt, has an awesome video and book curriculum designed for non-bjj instructors to teach in their classes if anyone is interested). I'd also like to add some filipino stick fighting and knife techniques as well.

Some the supplements I've added came from training in other schools (judo and bjj) and others (boxing, kickboxing) came from instructional videos and books. Because hapkido gives you a good base in many different areas, it's easier for us to add stuff than it would be for a kickboxer to add jointlocks to his repetoire.

As a student in hapkido, we didn't do any boxing/kickboxing combinations and padwork, didn't do any groundgrappling or chokes, and didn't practice throws on a resisting opponent so I had to do it on my own and just started doing it with my instructor's students when I became an instructor.

As an instructor on my own now, my goal was to add these types of techniques and training methods so that my students don't need to supplement their training, as I had to, because they feel they are missing out on certain important concepts. Instead, if they do supplement what I am teaching, its because they just want to specialize in a certain area.

4. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Good thread !!

I don't study Hapkido, I study Aikikai Aikido as my primary art however, I do additionally study Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai and more recently Shotokan Karate; I find the combination of the specific weapons and striking arts great compliment my aikido.

I do not however study any art specifically for self defence.

Regards

5. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

@ Dave

Interesting. Do you mean that for self defense you prefer to learn from all styles/arts? Or do you mean you study martial arts mainly for "arts" sake or fitness or hobby and not so much the self defense application of the arts? I studied Shotokan for about 3 years. It's a good place to start when you're look for a striking art.

@ everyone

Thank you for the responses. A very eclectic list of styles. Personally I plan to at least sample many different martial arts. Who knows what I'll learn in the end. I've heard from others that some styles conflict or don't go well together. It may just be me but so far I haven't had a problem combining any particular style that I've studied . In class I personally don't find myself struggling with combining different techniques. For example one second I can do a hard style block and strike that I learned in Shotokan and immediately follow up with a joint lock I learned in Hapkido. Or another example would be to do follow up a centerlock technique with a combo I learned in kick boxing.

I've only been doing this for about 10 years but so far it just seems like the sky's the limit when it comes to the wealth of knowledge that is out there :)

6. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

To answer this question fully I need to offer a bit of history:

I started learning Aikido whilst serving as a Prison Officer because much of the control and restraint applications approved for use by the British Home Office placed (places) a great deal of emphasis on use of minimal force. Because I worked primarily in Cat A establishments and Special Secure Units I had the opportunity to pressure test the aikido I'd learned on an almost weekly basis so, in part, and; at that time in my life I was more focused upon practicality and the need to apply techniques whilst remaining within the remit of my job role. However; as I continued to study Aikido, learned more about the system, its origins, the deep weapon's influences (which first introduced me to the Japanese sword) I realised there was far more to this thing called "aikido".

When I left the Prison Service my focus on training greatly shifted toward the study of the discipline and not just specific aspects I needed to rely on. I'd also begun learning the use of the Japanese sword as a side art with seitei iai kata (a gendai - 'modern' system of iaido) but later Muso Shinden Ryu which is a koryu (old style) This training further encouraged my interest in the system(s).

I've continued in this direction for quite a number of years now (indeed more than my original modus operandi) Recently I've shifted my study of Iaido to Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu and, enrolled in a local Karate class.

I've started karate for a couple of reasons,

1; I'm spending a great deal of time teaching in my own dojo and, although I enjoy this, my focus is very much on the development of others, and I feel a little lethargic in my own 'spirit' and I know that entering a new environment, as a rank beginner means I have to adopt shoshin (beginner's mind) which I know will have a positive effect of my own teaching and learning process of Aikido and Iaido.

2; Aikido is a great system however much of the atemi waza is being filtered out of the technique in favour of dynamic movement, I don't altogether agree with this shift, I much prefer to look at good technique, following the primary principles which makes aikido function but, still have the application of atemi waza, including the ability to kick and punch correctly.

So in essence, I no longer study martial arts purely as a means of self preservation, I do it because it is a continuous learning experience which stretches me mentally and physically. I agree that this approach won't float everyone's boat, but then I don't train for myself to please other people.

Regards

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi Dave
    There is a good thread on this topic a few clicks to the left from hapkido scott. There are a good number of posts and would you believe it everyone of them has something positive to say. I wish the aikido posts were the same.

Koyo

8. Shihan

Shihan Valued Member

I began my training with THD and san shou (chinese kickboxing) because it incorparated ground grappling and take downs. San shou also compliments my CH training as well. I learned some Jiu Jitsu unoffically from my THD master's master (I have no rank in that style) I've studied some arnis and hope to continue training in stick and knife combatives from Master Melegrito.

9. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Interesting. I don't watch the San Shou tournaments as much as I watch the UFC and Pride but iirc whenever the practitioners got taken down they were stood back up.

Anyone else experience any contradictory techniques from arts they have studied?

10. Shihan

Shihan Valued Member

I didn't study san shou for the sport aspect of it. With some modifications, it can be a pretty effective street self defense art. I believed it helps with my low line kicking from CH. Also learning to throw elbows and knees effectively is a good thing.