The Hero's of war today...?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Shai'tan, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Shai'tan

Shai'tan New Member

Hi peeps,

Is it possible to be a hero of war now adays? Now that great leaders don't fight in battles them self and you will only see them on TV telling that he will send some soldiers, no one has ever heard of, to battle. And that he will stay home doing nothing. Now that wars are fought whit guns so you never know how many man you have killed. That city's are destroyed by nukes.

I think that the time of war hero's had ended whit the start of WWI.

What do you think? And if you have no name one war hero who still lives who would it be. (please, let bush out of this oke?)

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

"There are no heroes in war. All the heroes I know are either dead... or in prison. One or the other." - Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid

PL

3. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

:confused:

I don't think it's really possible to be a "hero" of war anymore. I think soldiers definitely deserve respect and support, but saying that one of them is a hero is a hard thing to do because they all do the same thing. I don't the leaders of nations would be considered heros of war, either.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I think it was General Grant who said that anyone who kills anyone can't be called a hero. I agree that even justifiable murder is a shame on society. In the case of Iraq, I think that another leader instead of Bush and his cronies had started the war, they would have been accused of war crimes.

5. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Ah so I guess Saddam didn't do anything wrong then. :rolleyes:

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

It's one thing killing a guy because he beats his wife and kids, steals, does drugs, and is bad for society, and it's another thing when you kill this same guy and saying he had a gun and wanted to shoot you, when there was in fact no gun, or intention to shoot you.

PL

7. Lafhastum

Lafhastum New Member

sorry to interupt your discussion but.... I think every soildier is a hero, but now as war is being more controlled by machines every day we hear less stories about the really notable thing. Except jessica Lynch (Who it runed out wasn't really that heroic). machines have taken the real intensity of war. planes can fly in and bomb everything and it's over. Generals now sit at a computer and send a command to theri pawns. It ain't like the old days where Eisenhower planned D-Day for monthes, even going to normandy in a time of war secretyl to further plan his attack. Last really notable war heroes come from Vietnam, John McCain (maybe John Kerry, i can't be too sure about that one) or Dieter Dengler.

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

there are still heroes in modern warfare. Winston Churchill for one. However compared to the heroes of history- Boadicea, Alexander, Julius Caesar, Robert the Bruce, Joan of Arc... I wont even get into the greeks. there simply is no place for heroics in a modern army.

9. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

What do you call heroic though? Is it bravery, is it some noticeable ability at fighting and killing loaaaaads of other people?

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Huh. Facing machine gun fire to try and protect or rescue the soldier next to you isn't heroic?

Man. Tough crowd.

Personally, having never been in that position, I'm not willing to dismiss the heroics of anyone who has. People are knowingly putting their lives on the line everyday. Do you think for one moment that any of the 1,000+ soldiers who have died so far are any less dead because of modern warfare?

Stuart

11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

War Heros of Today

Men and Women currently serving in Iraq and Afganistan.

Men and Women of the L.E.O. community who are the last line of defense between order and chaos day in and day out.

12. Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson Valued Member

I would have to agree with ap Oweyn on this. I think there are heroes everyday throughout the world.

I have not fought in a war either, so I can't be sure what it is like, but I have lived in countries where the local military finds it necessary to follow you with their machine guns as you walk by any establishment that they deem is of importance. It is not a good feeling and that is probably only 1/10,000th of what it must feel like to be under fire. I call all of those soldiers that are in harms way heroes.

13. Shai'tan

Shai'tan New Member

I didn't say that being a soldier and fighting for other people isn't very brave and a hero's act. And we should all be very greatful that there are still people who are willing to risk theyer lives for our savety. Those people earn alot of respect from us.

But whit hero's I mean people like Joan of Arc. She made the history books and John Hicks didn't. And John Hicks might be fighting in Irac right now. When wars were fought whit swords and bows one "soldier" could make a differents. Like Joan of arc and she wasn't even a soldier.
    Today soldiers can't make big decisions they just follow orders. People who fight well will make the history books, Bruce lee "fought" very well and I think that he will be remembert for a very long time. But now we use :woo: in war and we don't see who fights good or not. There are no heroic acts in battle. Yes there are but no one sees it or knows who did it.

Now that I think of it, I think that the time of Hero's ended whit the end of close combat warfare.

14. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Shouldn't the unit of hero currency be saving lives, not taking them?

15. seikido

seikido New Member

I'd like to nominate those people that stand up against the war, despite being accused of a lack of patriotism, often risking their jobs and their friends by standing up for what they believe in. Of course, soldiers are heroic, but it also takes a lot of guts in these times to stand up and say 'no'.

16. Kwajman

Nothing that required the deaths of over 1000 american men and women. It wasn't our fight.

17. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

I think you have to go after ALL the evil dictators.. if that's your thing? :rolleyes:

18. Kwajman

I know what your getting at. But my point is, that we should take care of our little corner of the world first. There was nothing going on in Iraq that directly affected us. No WMD, no nukes, no anything. If anyone should have gone after Iraq, it should have been Israel. They had the most to lose. No one in the middle east can compete with Israel power wise. Why do we have to fight the fight for them? I don't think we should be the worlds policeman. Why don't we go after China, North Korea, the Sudan, Egypt, Turkey, theres a dozen other countries that were just as evil as Iraq. Look whats going on in South Africa, Brazil, even Mexico. If you have children, both men and women are going to be drafted in the next draft, are you willing to have them die somewhere for someone elses political interests?

I really would like someone to explain why we intervene on Israels behalf though when they are perfectly capable of fighting their own battles.

19. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

"In war, there are heros on both sides"~ Hero

I won't get into the ethics of deciding a hero, but I will say this. The greatest American men faught in World War 2, they faught the fascism of Japan, Italy, and Germany. Rescued millions from the horrors of the Japanese military, and the Nazis. I say a great war leader is General Douglas MacAurthor. He was a military genius, and lead the liberation of Asian from Japan. My family was a direct victom of the Japanese in the Phillipines (So much so that a group of people, lead by two members of my family, the Taruc, faught the Japanese during the occupation) He never forsake our men in Asia, if the pres. of US didn't fire him during the Korean War, would've defeated the Communist Chinese. He was a caucasian reincarnation of the great samurai general, Usugi Kenshin.;)

20. Master Lee

Master Lee New Member

Anyone who voluntarily risks their lives for a good cause is a hero.