The "Hand Conditioning Will Ruin Your Hands" myth

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by hendry, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Yes, but I don't think Skuggvarg is talking about that kind of strength, but rather his hand/finger/nail hardness and condition...

2. noname

noname Valued Member

:)

from what I know, Takamatsu sensei did(not necessarily in this order):

1. plunging hands into sand
    2. plunging hands into grittier sand
    3. plunging hands into small pebbles
    4. plunging hands into larger rocks
    5. hitting trees wrapped in straw and animal hide(or cotton, or somesuch)
    6. using fig juice(of some kind) on the hands
    7. scraping the bark off of trees with his nails
    8. hitting people

in one his books, Hatsumi soke talks about how Takamatsu sensei did the water bucket carrying specifically to strengthen his legs and hips....of course, he carried alot of weight.......

"Thats the worst advice I ever heard. we´re no freaking farmers are we?"

and you probably aren't Japanese........if not, you should stop studying a Japanese martial art........according to YOUR logic.......

have you ever shook hands with someone who does tough manual labor for a living?......I'll infer from your post that you have not.......

3. skuggvarg

skuggvarg Valued Member

Of course I have. I never questioned that strong hands is a byproduct of baking lots of bread. What i did question was the absurb idea of becoming a farmer/baker in order to condition your hands. Im pretty sure this is not how Takamatsu or Toda or any of the other master of Gyokko ryu did.

If you want to believe its the best way, I wont stop you.

Regards / Skuggvarg

4. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Actually, that's not his logic at all :confused:

5. noname

noname Valued Member

:)

"the absurb idea of becoming a farmer/baker in order to condition your hands."

absurd to you, perhaps.....

"If you want to believe its the best way, I wont stop you."

I never said it was.

"Actually, that's not his logic at all"

perhaps, perhaps not.....

6. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

You have used this several times. What is your source for this? The reason why I'm asking is because I have heard of something but it wasn't fig juice and it told to me by John Lindsey through Ishizuka Sensei.

7. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Yes, and that's exactly what he said! :confused:

It's not... :Alien:

8. noname

noname Valued Member

:0

I'm 99% sure it was in one of soke's books.......I feel like saying "Essence of Ninjutsu," but I'm not sure.......I'll have to check as soon as I get my books back from one of my relatives.....

what would that other "something" be?

9. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

I remember reading something about "herbs", but I could be dead wrong.

10. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

what do you mean "going to" ;)

11. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

yes there were 11 of them and they were all a secret.

12. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

I believe you're thinking of Col. Sanders' recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken -- but hey, it might work for hands just as well!!

13. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Not exactly true! Of the 11 secret ingredients, some were herbs and some were spices.

14. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

Upon the death of Colonel Sanders his organisation splintered 3 ways, into Kentucky Fried Chicken, Southern Fried Chicken and Northern Fried Chicken, all with various franchisees but with KFC remaining the most publicly prominent and maintaining the status of Colonel Sanders as its founder despite the fact that other heirs knew all or part of the secret recipe. There are differences as to the flavouring and presentation according to whether you choose to eat KFC, SFC or NFC, although they stem from the same source. There are also spin offs such as Calendonian Fried Chicken. Most people choose which type of fried chicken they eat depending upon which is the closest to them, but others will go further to get the type they prefer.

If you want to know more, go to Kentucky!

(weird isn't it?) :Alien: