The "Hand Conditioning Will Ruin Your Hands" myth

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by hendry, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Wow, I haven't seen that film for so very many years! I'll have to see if I can get a copy in the bargain bins or something. I bought the Ray Harryhausen "Sinbad" movies the other day for the nostalgia. But that's gone off topic now. Meanwhile, back at the topic.....

2. garth

garth Valued Member

I saw Remo unarmed and dangerous just the other month. Apparantly it is now available on DVD.

What a great film.

Garth

3. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

A japanese shihan I know (who is rather famous for his former hand conditioning practice) doesn't seem to be showing ill effects from all the boards he punched in the 'old days'. He still plays guitar, ukulele, etc in his band. And can that guy hit hard.

Also, I notice a big difference when being hit by both conditioned and unconditioned hands. After being hit by conditioned hands enough times now, when someone hits me with unconditioned hands it pales in comparison. The same applies for grip training.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Okay, jumping in here a little just to make a quick point. Something like hand conditioning does not automatically ruin your hands, what it does is increases the risk. In the same way that smoking increases your risk of lung cancer, but does not automatically mean you will have lung cancer.

5. hendry

hendry Valued Member

Was that the movie where the karateka punches the train?

IMO that was a stupid thing to do and is not what I mean by good hand conditioning.

6. hendry

hendry Valued Member

Who told you that crap?

You've either been listening to people who only learned a very low level of conditioning and/or frauds.

Proper breaking can be done extremely relaxed, with what looks like only a mild slap.

7. hendry

hendry Valued Member

(YAWN)

Your ad hominem responses are getting boring. While ad hominem is strictly speaking not against MAP's Terms of Service, it does reveal that you are unable to deal with the content of my post.

If you feel that the content/substance what I have written does not stand on its own merits then you're free to say so and I'll discuss it happily. If you can prove it, I'm ready to listen.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  8. hendry

hendry Valued Member

Sorry but that's nonsense. You've been hanging around people who don't know what they are doing or have made up their own hand training or have learned from frauds.

erm let's see ... Gene Choicoine, John Allen, James McNeil, Brian Gray. And that's just the tip of the iceberg in the USA.

All of the genuine experts in hand conditioning (including the four men listed above) are in total agreement that good conditioning should not damage the hands at all, or lead to any visible signs at all.

They all agree, as do the experts in the orient, that the damage and other signs like calluses, scars, and hands that look like clubs are all signs of low level training and frauds.

Someone asked about whether the motor skills of the hands suffer. Brian Gray plays music in a band and is well known for his calligraphy skills. His hands have not suffered at all, even though he is capable of smashing through bricks and concrete with ease.

If you've only seen the people that have wrecked their hands doing stupid things that's your problem not mine.

9. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I feel compelled to point out that anyone who presents a photo of a chinese man breaking bricks is evidence that supports the idea that hand conditioning does not ruin your hands does not deserve to be taken seriously.

10. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Well that made me smile, and i do agree :D
    Hand conditioning can be beneficial if you can find a way to bring calcium deposits to the surface of bones away from joints, as this will strength the bone but not effect movements?

11. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Please check back to the original thread on Kutaki.

Hendry is spot on here.

Why is it sooooooo hard to imagine that there are ways to condition your hands well without making them into lifeless stumps.

This particular issues is one of faith and repetition. The detractors of hand conditioning just keep repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over again - hoping that mere repetition will make their point "right".

But yes... it does hurt a bit. And it takes time. Something that the latest batch of poofs in the BJK don't want to deal with. Having the ability to hit something hard proves you don't understand real budo - you must have the right... "feeling".

Buwahahahahaa.

Anyway... James Garcia is dropping alot of truth on Kutaki. Read.... please.

-Daniel

12. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

do they look good though?

I use oil of ulay on mine and the look fabulous, far better for stroking a girls boobs than some scabby lumpy things so i'm right.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

14. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

i have seen that before and its good resource, but is Hendry looking at hand strengthening which i am happy to do or is he on about constant punching of an object ie wet sand to build that callousy feeling?

15. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Just a question though Hendry,how many people have actually said its a myth/wrong to condition your hands?

one, two, a few?

How do you get to your theory from a couple of views? source please.

16. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Face it what's more likely? You getting in a fight that needs knuckles of steel or having the chance to feel some girl up?

Better start punching that Makiwara mate :p :D :D

17. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

yes but i get to feel your moobs weekly!! :D

18. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Yeah talking of that you still owe me money.....

anyway back on topic :D

19. MagokoroDojo

MagokoroDojo Banned Banned

Funny, I know quite a few people who do quite a bit of hand conditioning... all of their hands look fine.

In fact, the person who scares me the most when it comes to being struck by him (other than Soke) has done decades of hand conditioning and his hands look just like anyone elses and in his 60s still plays the ukulele regularly.

20. Axelton

Axelton Valued Member

That right there shows your ignorance of the subject. Hand conditioning isnt to build callouses, its to strenghten the bones so you dont break your hand when striking something.