the greatest throw of all time

Discussion in 'Judo' started by saikyou, Jan 31, 2004.

?

what is greatest throw of all time?

1. o soto gari

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. o uchi gari

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. harai goshi

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. uchi mata

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. morote seoinage

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. ippon seoinage

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. hane goshi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. soto makikomi

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. kata guruma

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. other (specify in post)

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. saikyou

saikyou New Member

cast your votes!

2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

1 for uchi.

3. jonsku

jonsku New Member

Can't decide between the four first throws (osoto... - uchi-mata). They are all so great.But if I have to vote, I'll go for o-soto-gari. It's the first throw ever taught to me, and it was love at first sight.. :D

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Kubi-Nage.
    Lovely all natural flowing throw. Just like the Headlock/ Clinch Throw in Muay Thai.

Out of the ones posted.
    O-soto-Gari

Nice simple balance taking-an 'easy' street throw.
    I like the others too.

5. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

This is like when we ask Sensei what his Tokui Waza is. At some point or another, everything has been his Tokui Waza!
    Harai Goshi, Tane Otoshi, O Guruma, De Ashi Barai, Okuri Ashi Barai, Sode Tsuri Komi Goshi, Yama Arashi, Tomoe Nage, Koshi Guruma, Ippon Seoinage, and Ura Nage are the personal favorites that come to mind right now.
    The two that I have the most trouble with are Uchi Mata and Uke Goshi. I think the problem with both throws is related somewhere, but I can't figure out where...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2004
  6. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Ippon seonagi for me:D

7. redbull

redbull New Member

tough choise between uchi mata and drop morote, but i'll have to go with uchi mata.

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Changes from month to month, but I'm kinda in a uchi mata mood just now.

9. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I'm very much the same as Freeform - it changes. I do kinda have a soft spot for ippon seoinage, it runs nice with a few drills, add a few strikes like an upward strike with your bicep(approx) to their tricep/armpit(possible shoulder dislocation maybe) when you're in there...corrrr.

10. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

i voted other - uki goshi, the founders favorite...... and mine :)

and i cant believe you left out tomo-nage! my second favorite. :D

11. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

for me it was a split between o soto gari and harai goshi only because I love the feeling you get when you reap your leg and see your uke go flying :D

unfortunately i didnt see any sutemi waza in the polls... STOMACH THROW!!! the most common technique of all wannabe-judo martial artists (j/k) or some yoko sutemi waza im personally fond of the tani and yoko otoshi as well

12. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

ogoshi, i used it this weekend when I got jumped. I used it a couple times actually.

13. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

I voted for Uchi-mata...but not having Tai-Otoshi in the poll?..I dunno

14. DeepFreeze

DeepFreeze Lurker

I wasnt able to choose one single throw, because most of those in the list are all splendid for different situations. And I have also been through phases where almost all of them have been my favorite techniques.

15. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

"Greatest throw of all time"

Ippon Seoi Nage, O Soto Gari, and Kugi Nage are the most naturally occuring/used throws of all time; but Katate Tomoe or Tora Nage, would have been my choices.

16. Specter

Specter New Member

My fave has got to be the double-legged Tomo-Nage, it's just too funny to see someone flying through the air with all their limbs towards you... plus it's just too powerful if you do it right. Of the listed is totally harai, just because so many things put you in a great place for it

17. HomoUniversalis

HomoUniversalis New Member

I would have to say Cani Bassami. Although it is not legal in tournaments, it is a great technique in Self-Defense. Not to mention a suprise attack.

Second comes Tane Otoshi.

HU

18. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I like morote seoinage. It's hard to do but its very satisfying when you fling the other guy in the air, tracing a semi-circle, ad then slamming him on the mat like a rag.

WHAPAACKK!!!

19. snailfist

snailfist Valued Member

I didn't vote- i don't know enough of them :eek: so i couldnt pick a "greatest" throw. Besides, in what way greatest? Most powerful? most spectacular? Most useful? Looking around at other posts it seems that different people have voted for throws for different reasons.
    But at the moment my favorite throw is ippon seoi nage. Reasonably easy to do and to follow up with a lock.

20. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

The basis of my vote comes from this fact: morote seoinage is a real test of skill and might. It is similar to ippon seoinage except that both hands are gripping the other guy (unlike in the formar the other arm is curled under the armpit of the other guy).

In competition, no referee in the world would give a perfect morote seoinage an ippon (unless of course if he was bribed or just hates your face)!