The Gracie Dispute

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by gedhab, Sep 8, 2005.

1. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Does anyone know what the dispute is between the Gracie family? I've heard that Rorion is trying to sue other gracie's who use the name "gracie jujitsu". What is going on?

2. UGFighter

UGFighter Valued Member

Ah, who cares?

Some of the Gracies are more concerned with $$$ and their ego and not so much the love of BJJ anymore. There are plenty of other great people to train out there with and idolise.

With that being said, I still respect Roger, Kyra & Renzo... plus, there's probably a whole heap of others I don't know about, there's just too many to keep up with these days.

3. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

roger gracie is da man!

4. Punch-Kik-Choke

Punch-Kik-Choke Banned Banned

BJJ is already evolving and out there on it's own.

It's far too late for one family to control it anymore.

Not to mention that some of the family members dont get along to start.

I think it's better this way anyway, it gives BJJ different perspectives to grow from.

5. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

PKC, that quote you have in your sig...is that from the troll Mano..thingy..watya?

6. TheWaterMargins

TheWaterMargins Valued Member

I love Gracie Fields me ...... some wonderful pictures .....

7. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

lol

and the lineage wars begin.

I'll give it five years max before we have BJJers arguing about who has got the "reall BJJ".

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  8. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Indeed, this could get amusing after all... :rolleyes:

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think Gracie Fields was the real 'voice of the people' during the war. Vera Lynn was more like the 'voice of the Home Counties' and therefore more acceptable to the BBC establishment. How many times do they put stuff on the box about the war and feature Vera Lynn as though she was the only one singing anything? But when you see old footage of Gracie Fields singing to a cinema packed full of thousands of soldiers, all singing along, it makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

Our Gracie - God bless her.

10. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

look, I know how the Gracies can resolve this. In the ring, you can only reslove this in the ring.

11. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

Im with firecoins on this one. :D

12. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Who cares !

13. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Wasn't that thing resolved YEARS ago?

14. Punch-Kik-Choke

yes.

15. Punch-Kik-Choke

pffft.

In the TMA'ers dreams :Angel:

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Doubt it.

They know better than to end up like all the Wing Chun people that sound like broken records because they are constantly moaning about lineage and who has the real t3h d3ad133.

:D

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

The main difference? Damn near every one of them has stepped into the ring and proven their abilities. As have all their first-run students. Gracie JJ, despite what anyone thinks of sport MA, has been proven time and time again in both rules-based and NHB competition. Lineage isn't going to matter. Yes, there will be gym wars, but it will NEVER reach the level of WC. Why? Because BJJ has been to the top of the game, humbled by being defeated, and is now a solid part of a tried system for sport MA. No one cares what you're lineage is when you put up.

18. Punch-Kik-Choke

you are in teh correct.

No one cares about the "real" boxing. The 'real' Wrestling. The 'real' BJJ.

You know how you know you've got the real wrestling, boxing, or BJJ? If you beat the poop out of the other guy.

With Wing Chun, well....it's all theory as to if it works. There is not much competition or actual fighting so one never knows if their particular lineage is any better than the next.

19. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Just so. I don't think anyone will give a rat's hind quarters if its "the real" bjj, so long as it's EFFECTIVE bjj. And there's easy ways to find that out now isn't there? All the same, whatever the conflict, I personally hope the Gracies work it out. It's a shame that a family that has so much inovated and reinvigorated martial arts may have their ability to continue to do so damaged by petty squabbling. Like 'em or hate 'em you have to admit the Gracies chagnged the martial arts world, and even peoples perceptions of martial arts forever.