The GOOD Video Thread - No off topic posts allowed

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Fudo-shin, Mar 31, 2012.

1. george rodger

george rodger Valued Member

You seem to have missed my point.
    I could post anything and you would be unable to tell me it was rubbish.
    If someone else make videos like those old Quest ones,they would be ridiculed ,and rightly so.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Take this discussion to another thread or I will start handing out more bans. This is a protected thread, for the sole purpose of posting videos that are 'good'. If you don't like the video, take the discussion to the bad video section. Easily done with a 'my feelings about this video can be seen here' and post a link post. That's as much as will be allowed. If you don't like the policy, don't post in the thread.

I realise that this is not a perfect option, but otherwise this thread will descend into chaos, back and forth sniping and general nastiness. The next off topic post will be deleted and the poster may get a ban.

This is not up for discussion.

3. george rodger

But here you go
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5gGrU2d6Jw"]京都å¿è¡“ä¸å‹•å¿ƒé“å ´ NINJUTSU IN JAPAN- TOGAKURE-RYU NINPOTAIJUTSU TONSO GATA JAPON - YouTube[/ame]

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Why is this video good, George? The point of this thread is to discuss (partially for the education of newbies and those who don't know much about the style), what is good 'ninjutsu'. If you post a video, please add an explanation of why you are posting it, what it is that you particularly like about it etc, otherwise (as happens in the bad thread) it will be deleted.

5. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  6. george rodger

Ok sorry,
    This is how I think an art with no real SD should be taught.
    I like the way he does not pretend to be doing something "real"
    I also like his movement .To me it seems short and effective .Rather than long and useless.
    PS ,unless you don't know.It is hard to look good with a greenbelt as uke.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  7. george rodger

Perhaps for this "protected thread" people like Hayseed should be allowed a "Thank You to george rodger For This Useless Post:"option

8. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Again, I see good and bad in this video...

But as the main subject is Pedro I've posted here because:

Some very nice subtle movement. Some of which I'm sure is hard to see.

Locks, distance, deception all good.

Some lovely ladies in the audience!

Pedro actually seems at one point to tell an uke to not throw himself on the floor...

Bad:

As with any seminar dvd, its difficult to know what is missing.

The ukes are embarrasingly weak, uncommitted...awful

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swFWwtvKSoQ"]Tai-Kai 2011 Israel Clip.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

9. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Well don't miss a trick George ! Resurrect some of those jag videos, before they change the posting rules!(wink) lol

10. gapjumper

There were vids?

Oh cool

11. gapjumper

I've not seen this before.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhv4x5xdHSQ"]München Taikai 1989 - YouTube[/ame]

Very nice movement. Video quality is bad though which is a shame.

12. gapjumper

Double post.

13. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUgaS1vfGlM"]Sweden Bujinkan Taikai 1992 (2/4) Doron Navon - YouTube[/ame]

Doron, he was good!!

14. bnyd

bnyd Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YcF3iAmKY"]Bujinkan Dojo Budo Taijutsu 武神館é“å ´æ­¦é“体術 - YouTube[/ame]

Though its only a trailer for his DVD, you can see his ukemi is nice, his movement flows and he's controlling the uke.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Sorry but I wouldn't say he's controlling uke in that clip.

It's probably due to it being a trailer and all that but uke seems to be helping a fair bit in that clip, just like the sword cut isn't very convincing.

One problem with marketing a DVD is that it seems to lead to making concessions in what you do, so that it'll look better on film.

Probably better if you could post some class time.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  16. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I just found 2 videos of the teacher of my teacher, the guy that gentleman that granted me with my 9th kyu,my first and only grade in Bujinkan.
    I was wondering how you guys would find him. Unfortunately both of videos are trailers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bz5lg0yVpk&feature=relmfu"]Ninjutsu Seminar Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEW2vzuwgqQ&feature=relmfu"]Bujinkan Hellas/The Screaming Fly -"Spacefly" ninja - YouTube[/ame]

17. Please reality

Well, his taijutsu is about par for the course(wide base throws, looking away, stop and go movement, etc), not what you would expect of a person with that kind of rank but again, that is also par for the course. His sword work was horrible, as was the mural on the wall and the scarf wearing(disrespectful if you ask me). I wouldn't put it in the good video thread but I am pickier than some.

18. gapjumper

Can't seem to view the first video. Second one was not as bad as some we see here.

But.

The sword draw was wild and left him wiiiide open. Bent back. Odd footwork.

Screaming Fly? What? Why?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  19. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

All neck, no hips.
    When he wants to move with force, he snaps his head and shoulders around instead of driving from the hips.
    Makes for bad balance, guard, mobility and power. Most bad habits are grossly magnified in free, resistant movement (like a fight) and this is definitely one of them.

On the throws, as PR has said, his feet are wide and his hips aren't deep enough. That means the throw will function on twisting the opponent around you. This is bad because not only will any opponent who is not actively taking a fall usually just step out and probably counterthrow, when someone actually does fall without deliberately doing so, both the uke and tori's knees are at risk.

The giant windups on pretty much all his striking is a terrible habit for obvious reasons and again function on momentum and arm power rather than hips.

He's standing up too tall most of the time and when he isn't he's exaggerating the crouch so far that it's almost unusable in live movement as well leading with his face (not the part of your body you want to be the "tip of the spear") anytime he does get low.

Nothing personal, but as far as fundamentals of movement goes, he rates about the same as someone coming into his first class. But I'm speaking generally. I see him imitating some things that Hatsumi did when I was in the Bujinkan but I think a competent Bujinkan guy would say the same thing (as some already have).

Since this is a "Good Video" thread, maybe it'd be a good idea for a mod to split the request for feedback as well as the pertinent responses into another thread?

EDIT: Also, why is the scarf disrespectful? I'm not familiar with the etiquette, but I did hear about Hatsumi showing up publically in a kama-sutra print kimono once. Admittedly that might have been in one of the SKH books so I'm not so sure about it. Also I've seen one of Hatsumi's uke (maybe one of the Japanese shihan) regularly wearing a bandanna in videos. Not calling you out, just genuinely curious.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  20. Please reality

Yes, some people wrap towels around their heads too. I think the bandana thing is a group of people trying to stick out. Like all th ads and patches on the jujitsu "kimonos," personally I don't think it belongs in the dojo anymore than an instructor chewing gum does.