The Good Ol' Final Argument

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Devoken, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

I find it really interesting that whenever I engage, accidentally or otherwise, with a person of some religious denomination or other, in the good old Final Argument about life, the universe, and everything, I always win. And unsurprisingly, so do they. Which begs the question, is there really much to be gained from partaking this argument?

I personally think there is some point to this argument, despite its frequent inability to reach anything resembling a conclusion (or at least a conclusion accepted by all parties). For instance, the other day I argued with someone for about three hours about the supposed merits and shortcommings of Intelligent Design Theory, and for once I really enjoyed the debate as an intellectual exercise, rather than just combating dogmatism with dogmatism. The person I argued with was IMHO quite intelligent, he used clever analogies and rational thought processes to make his point and didn't once resort to any form of 'we are not meant to understand' kind of argument or similar. So rather than the usual regurgitation of programmed responses that I am accustomed to giving, I actually had to think.

But by the end of this argument (that all-too-familiar stalemate), instead of exhausted I actually felt quite liberated. Anyway, I just wanted to hear peoples opinions on the subject, everyone has this argument at some point and some people on this forum (Tekkengod for one) are legendary for it. But do you think there is a real point to it? Have you had a similar experienece to myself? Have you ever persuaded someone to your point of view soley through tactful debate, or been persuaded yourself?

All responses welcome regardless of your position on said topic.

2. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

Yeah. My opinion on biblical judgement hasn't changed in the last 2 years but my "base" for this opinion (reasons to back it up, ways to explain it, why it makes sense to me) has grown phenomenally. When I was first told about "judgement" it just sounded wrong. I couldn't explain why but it was just "wrong". Now I can argue properly why I think so.

And although your main opinions rarely change, minor ones can. My idea of what a "Christian" is has gone through so many changes over the last 3 years...

3. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

If there was no discussion, we would not have this forum. Discussion is what makes life more interesting, we don't all have to agree... but it's good to see where other people are coming from.

Remember, we come from all corners of the world... all with our own customs and religious /spiritual views. I really don't think it's a question of who's right or who's wrong. The fact that these matters are being discussed is a positive thing.

So, anyone up for some new religious discussion ??? :D

4. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

I'll be posting a topic soon. It'll be something along the lines of "reason to be believing in God". The last time the topic came up it ended up closed. Let's see how long this one lasts, that is if I ever manage to find the right words to write it with. :)

5. Devoken

Yes, my own reasons have changed alot, especially this year. It seems the more you read and digest the world the more complex your motivations and judgements become.

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Sure, there's a point to it: to think. Use that noggin'.

I've been in these talks many, many times. I don't know of anyone who has been persuaded to my point of view on this topic as a result of tactful debate, but I've made new friends through tactful debate.

7. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

Now, if I was a mod, I would close it as soon as you opened it.

Guess thats why Im not huh?

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

LOL, I'm legendary :D

Is there a point to it? absolutely. I will grant you that often it does end in a strange stalemate of logic and faith, But, despite that, i've made more than a few friends. Convinced many many people to either become an atheist/agnostic, or at the least question their own beliefs, which is usually my intent, to convince doubt, not conversion. On top of that i've been educated myself in a few instances, and on a few sub-topics even changed my views. And for that i have to thank Aikimac and all the others who have enough gaul to debate, think and educate.

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Awww, group hug, group hug. :love:

10. Devoken

Did Tekkengod just say that? Fascinating, truly fascinating.