The Git's Coronary Bypass Bypass

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by belltoller, Nov 29, 2014.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Bleedin' 'ell, you're not hijacking - my thread's a scribble pad, an ongoing bulletin board, whatever - and the more comments the better.

I don't know how you're doing it, Van, the Achilles' tendon (you still wearing a brace on your foot?), the hip that needs replacing ...

Ja, gradual progression is the smart way when it comes to this - think that would also apply to cardio ( which is my achilles heel ) ?

I suppose I could google 'stair repeats' though I've no doubt I've done them.

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

We have BJJ matches every few hours in our place. I really can't pass their guards at all. And they are phenomenal at the old shrimp!

I think chokes are useless on them...necks like tree trunks, bigger than their heads.

I need to video it.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Cast came off two weeks ago. Calf and ankle are stiff as hell; tender too. I'm more motivated more now than before I blew my A.T. because I've more or less been sat on my **** for two months. Which is good, but also dangerous because I need to temper my eagerness in case I overdo it. Hip is another story, still don't know how I'm going to handle that yet.

Stair repeats, stair reps, stair climbs. Whatever you wanna call 'em, it's just walking up and down the stairwell in your house. Doesn't have to be fast so long as when you reach the top/bottom, you turn around immediately and go back down/up. Up and down once = 1 rep. Easy enough to do, can be varied and kicks my ass pretty badly.

4. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Too late, man. Cat's out of the bag, now. Maybe we'll just have to come up with a move to go with that name.

I'm picturing a "veg stew" as sort of a haymaker/upper cut hybrid involving a bag of frozen peas.

Okay, the definition need...work.

5. belltoller

That'd be jollies to watch. You ain't gonna bully no bullies - you've bull terriers, right? No way! How much they weigh now?

6. belltoller

Oh man, I'ven't a clue what was sloshin' 'round my noggin when I put that down. Stew and ... pie :)evil:) - must've been thinking about eating

7. belltoller

That's for certain. I remember when I had a bad pulled hamstring and started physio for it, I really over did it the first time or two - but it feels deceptively good so you think your alright till...

8. Bozza Bostik

Yeah, the cone headed idiot dogs. Well, they're minis, so Bozza is about 17 kgs now and Poo (Roo) is only 5 months so I am not sure how much she weighs. She's quite tall at the moment and hasn't filled out yet, But she's X amount of trouble all the same, the lanky streak of cabbage. :)

I prefer the standards and wouldn't mind getting one, but then I remember Boris spends half our free time sleeping on me...I think a mini is enough.

Snogs! :heart::heart:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You know what this thread needs?

[​IMG]

10. Bozza Bostik

Is that picture taken from a Korean cooking site?

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Is that question racist?

12. Bozza Bostik

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Nice work bubba, you've got a good log going already, you be sure to keep it up now! :)

The pic of the cats in buckets just seals the deal :p.

14. belltoller

The wife said, "What're you looking at hunched over your laptop, over there?"

I responded that I was looking over my fitness log and she replied "What are they saying?"

"Well", I said, "it seems to be a debate about eating kitty"

"Oh", she said, "did you tell them you have it unshaven?"

[​IMG]

15. belltoller

Continuing logistical nightmare of getting belltoller jr #2 off to basketball practice while I and belltoller jr#1 make our 20min drive to boxing gym in the opposite direction had us going in over a half-hour late once again :bang:

#1 didn't re-roll our hand-wraps (again) which are entwined together in a ball at the bottom of the bag. Fortuitously, I've stashed back-ups in one of the pockets, so feverishly mummifying our limbs done, jump into class ...

jab, cross, lead-arm hook

• work on shifting weight onto lead leg
    • back knee forward as jab arm retracted

• upper body follows in line with delivery of cross
    • retract cross to guard, shifting upper body direction, deliver hook
    • work on blending steps into a seamless, fluid movement
    After students practice these with instructors on the pads, this is practiced on the heavy bag.

While the rest of the class do a few more rounds of combination eights, one of the instructors goes over some of what I'd missed...

Left Hook, Right Cross to Head

• work on proper distance issues I'm having
    LH/RC on Heavy Bag
    Coach not overwhelmed with the speed and quickness of my combos on the bags, so we go over it again

While the rest of the class do the class wrap-up drills and exercises, the coach kindly goes over another combo on the pads with me...

Right Cross (head) left Uppercut

Importance of not overreaching on an uppercut is stressed. This one's a bit tricky as one needs to close the distance rapidly after the cross. The cross really needs to count as a stunning blow as one doesn't want the target to be anticipating your uppercut and cause you to overreach, setting up a bad counter.

Briefly go over the drill on the heavy bag.

16. belltoller

Had to skip boxing class last evening as one of my kids came home from virus cesspool (school) yesterday with what's likely Strep Throat.

If'n I can square away some time this afternoon, I'll head down to the basement for whatever I can do before the "Da!!, Da!! Da!!!"'s pull me away.

17. belltoller

Tonight, mostly an exercise in frustration as it was difficult to get halfway through a routine without some sort of interruption - yes...we've issues with boundaries here. When one is both mother and father - that happens.

First time I've ran/jogged since I was diagnosed with the atrial leakage and enlarged heart - popped an aspirin to be safe

1.5 mile slow jog 15 min
    Rope Skipping 3 min
    70 lb Bag.................................Time / Rest
    Rapid Straight Left/Rights (1,2's,1,2's,1,2's) 3min 30sec
    Jab to Head/Right Hook to Body.......... 3min 30sec

Propa left hooks are surprisingly difficult - I tend to throw one like one would throw a left roundhouse kick - which is wrong. One key essential to doing one correctly is pivoting left foot and upper body to the right - which is a simple concept, but the nuances of a good left hook demand that the pivot, the turning of the torso and delivery of the hook happen in a single, fluid motion - one canna just throw a left roundhouse out there...

Left Hooks ( really wish I had a mirror or two up ) 5-6 minutes (just practicing form here, not for cardiac intensity)

Jab, straight right, left hook (1,2,3's)........3min, 30sec x 3 sets

I know my time is running short and my kid will awaken shortly from his long, fever induced sleep and will be ravenously hungry...I decide to change paces...

Pull ups from Dead Hang
    I'm really feeling frustrated here - lack of muscle mass increase is really hampering progress - My testosterone levels half of the lowest parametre of the range isn't helping things - or so I imagine - perhaps, its been my inability to make the time to get down and work on it being the real problem...

We want things easy...

I change tactics this time and use the doorway pullup bar instead of the joist mounted one

Chin ups (a set of sit-ups after each set of chin-ups) 3 X 3......15 X 3
    Hopefully, I can arise early tomorrow and manage to get in 45 minutes before the family awakens.

18. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Don't beat yourself up about pull ups/chins bubs, they take both strength (and relative strength at that (strong compared to body weight)), and skill, so you've got the right idea of many sets of a few reps to get more per day/week without blowing it all on one big set.

Nice bag work! I think I know what you mean about the left hook/left roundhouse dilemma, I try to set them both up by throwing something on the right hand side first, as if I start with the left side (other than jab/straight kick) it's either weak or telegraphed :( I guess we all have stuff to improve!

19. belltoller

Right - some sort of initiating right is almost required in order to use the momentum to pivot the hook with!

20. belltoller

A chronic lack of stable sleep for such a long period now has made early morning routines an anathema but as that being one of the unhealthy aspects I need to change, I was up early for this one.

Whether it be due to the leaking heart valve, low testosterone levels or whatever, involved warm up routines leave me fairly knackered, so I'm leaving them off before doing bag-work as the heavy-bag itself is quite sufficient to accomplish that goal and I'd like a bit of energy and pop for a bit as I work them.

I've also moved the cardio-intensive rapid, straight 1-2's to the end of the routine as they are always done at the first of any bag-work in class and leave me winded pretty much thereafter.

Times via the Everlast Interval Training Round Timer.

Routine................................................................Time/Sets......Rest

.............................Warm Up.................................................

Rope Skip...............................................................3min.............N/A

Jump Box..........................................................3min.................N/A

..........................70 lb Bag.......................................................

All bag-work routines done with maintaining good form as possible, retracting to stances/guard after delivery, stepping, pivoting and sliding around the bag.

Double and Triple jabs (1-1), (1-1-1)....................3min.............30sec

Jab, Straight Right (1-2's)..................................3min.............30sec

Jab, Cross, Left-Hook (1-2-3's)...........................3min.............30sec

Cross, Left Hook, Cross (2-3-2's).........................3min.............30sec

Left Hook, Cross, Left Hook (3-2-3's) - awkward!....3min.............30sec

Jab, Right Cross, Left Hook, Right Cross, Left Hook, Right Hook...3min...30sec

I'm throwing the power combos with conviction and I'm getting quite winded...

Jab, Right Cross, Left Hook, Right Cross, Left UpperCut, Right Uppercut (1-2-3-2-5-6's)...3min...30sec

Jab, Right Cross, Left Hook, Right Cross, Left Hook, Right Hook...3min...1min :)()

Left Hook, Cross, Left Hook (3-2-3's).............3min.............30sec

Cross, Left Hook, Cross (2-3-2's).........................3min.............30sec

Jab, Cross, Left-Hook (1-2-3's)...........................3min.............30sec

Jab, Straight Right (1-2's)..................................3min.............30sec

Double and Triple jabs (1-1), (1-1-1)....................3min.............30sec

Amasing how fatigue sets in and obliterates one's snap, then obliterates the will to maintain guard...I hear some on the forum complaining about how such 'n such boxer or MMA fighter doesn't keep their hands up during portions of a bout...cor blind me ... have they ever?? I can only imagine going 3 -12 rounds in front of a highly conditioned, trained killer would be like.

Maybe its just me and my over-the-hill-wasted-tired-**** sod all.

Rapid 1-2's....................................................3min(X 3 sets).............30sec (1min final set)

jump box with burpees (really struggling to maintain composure...cor almighty :mad: ........3min

Leg stretches