The Git's Coronary Bypass Bypass

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by belltoller, Nov 29, 2014.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

FWIW, I prefer ellipticals as far as cardio machines go. It's also boring, but it's easy to change pace. Good for HIIT stuff. :cool:

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I'll have a go at it, then.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Do they have a rowing machine?

4. belltoller

Don't recall seeing one but I've not really checked out everything at both facilities.

There are several types, IIRC - hydraulic, air/flywheel/magnetic resistance, etc.,.

5. belltoller

No time for the elliptical or treadmill last couple of days. More BB - at least I can play with two hands now.

I've to give it to players on their footwork - surprisingly difficult to master - at least it has been for belltoller.

[​IMG]

I suppose it not a complete waste. I do see possible martial arts applications

[​IMG]

Continuing with slow, low weight curls and presses. Have added another "set". Keeping the weight minimal so as not to aggravate the tendonitis.

Alt Dumbell Curls @ 25lb 25 reps per arm X 3 sets

Alt Dumbell Shoulder Press @ 25lb 22 reps per arm X 3 sets

Alt Dumbell Inclined bench press @ 35lb 25 reps per arm X 3 sets

Managed time for squat-jumps, crunches with leg rise/splits 25, 1 set, side leg raises 40 per leg ( good form ) X 1 set

I've had to avoid like the plague, any form of bodyweight excercise that puts pressure on the arm/elbow - that includes press-ups, planks, pull ups and a host of other such routines.

Time I would've spent on the heavy bags has been spent drilling out the concrete floor and installing drop-in anchors for my new double end bag set up.

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Glad to hear your elbow is (albeit slowly) getting better!

7. belltoller

Last couple of days spent getting my **** handed to me by a group of 13 - 17 year-olds. I'm convinced if I'm ever able to master lightning quick crossovers as nimbly as they, I'll certainly have the footwork necessary to be able to give Floyd Mayweather a run for his title(s).

Otherwise this evening:

Evening spent in front of the telly watching Premiere Boxing Champions (Coatbridges' Ricky Burns - yay), World Series of Fighting and Glory Kickboxing.

Warn't all wasted as I kept the dumbells busy

dumbells @ 25lbs - All routines are in standing position unless otherwise noted

Alt Curls
    19 each arm X 2 sets; 16 each arm X 3 sets; 14 X 2 sets; 10 X 4 sets

Alt Shoulder Press
    17 each arm X 1 set; 16 each arm X 2 sets; 14 X 1; 12 X 1; 10 X 3; 7 X 3

Simultaneous Lateral raise (to parallel with floor)

Simultaneous Front Raise (to parallel)
    0 - began feeling tinges in the lateral epicondyle - thought better of it as I'd really pushed the number of overall reps well past what I've done since I developed the tendonitis - though I'm keeping the weight very low.

One Dumbell Triceps Extension (seated)
    15 for 3 sets; 10 for 1 set

Honestly, I'd done better numbers if I'd just left my right arm out of this one all together - but part of this is for PT on my right elbow.

Bulgarian Split Squats 5 reps per leg X 5 setsIts been a good long while since I've done these! Distance from the bench or table is everything and its far easier to balance when one is NOT watching fights on telly.

Hate to say it but the knobby epicondyle is a bit swollen as I type this evening :bang: I'll need to ice it before bed.

Bleeding freaking bored with this. Why dern't it just go away and leave me be.

8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Nah, love it. Nothing I like more than a couple of hours running through the forest.

I just think there's better and safer ways to develop cardio if that's all you want. I run because I like running as a....erm....hobby (??) The benefits are secondary to the fun factor for me.

9. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

25 lb tricep kickbacks with a knackered elbow? :confused: :eek: Seems rather heavy. If it's a particularly nasty injury, I'd drop it to 15 lbs or so. You can always use the 25s for rows.

10. belltoller

LoL - nahh. You're thinking of the other one. This one is done with both arms simultaneously.

[​IMG]

The left arm took the preponderance of the work - the bad arm was just along for the ride. :) There's no way I'd try a right-armed kickback over 5lbs at this point.

11. belltoller

Oh, I tHwAt I tWah sTome tHar-kAtH-Ham there ;)

I really don't enjoy running. Running through hill and dale in the west Midlands sounds romantic and all but the reality is guilt makes me to take the dog when I run at the park and when the dog is in the rural park next to our house, he smells rabbit, deer, fox, etc., etc, and I always end up getting torn up in some fashion.

Running on the roads is hazardous here as the locals are given driving licenses and give jim-bob license and put him behind the wheel of a pickup truck - well, it just isn't a good time.

12. belltoller

Well, th-th-th-that's all, folks!

I've to be on the road a couple of weeks.

Happy loggin

13. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

No worries. We'll be here when you get back. As will your gym, b-ball courts and "Empty Bag" :evil:

14. belltoller

First off, I need to get this off my chest

I goddam despise my wife's computer which she dern't do housekeeping on, dern't clean up her registry, dern't defrag her hard-drive and uses IE which just goes to hell without warning right before finishing 30 minute forum posts - but its what I have as mine currently has a "priority engagement"

Don't know if I'm up to typing all this down again.

Anyroad - what was I going on about?

I warn't planning to log anything as I'd not known what sort of place I'd wind up in but it just so happens that there be a crakin fitness centre right above the Confrence centre and its a huge facility resplendent with all manner of equipment - many I've not had experience with before including a big-league Smith machine with bench.

I canna say that I prefer it over benching with plain-Jane barbells - it just has this weird feel - but when you've no one around to spot you, it does give one the sort of peace-of-mind that allows for pressing more weights than you would otherwise...

I've managed to work more diverse muscle groups, with more volume, more reps, more sets the last few days than I can recall doing since I began logging after they found my heart condition.

My right arm is ... well, shot to fornication - but I had fun doing it - I knew the sod wouldn't hold, but it was worth it. At least it didn't pain me during my workouts!

Additionally, the 30 story building's lifts are slow during heavy traffic times which had me to take the stairs - 17 floors from the lobby to my room - and I've made it a habit to take them at least twice a day - so that's a bit more cardio on top of the rowing machines, ellipticals, etc.

Had two pieces of toast and a glass of OJ - that war today's meal. I went out for a walk around 11pm and lo and behold, unfortunately there was this hipster Starbucks still open and I now have a bad case of mocha induced insomnia.

network acting up again. I'll not bugger this pos any longer :bang:

I'd be worth trying to extend my stay - just for the wonderful fitness amenities!

15. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Ah the life of The Road Warrior! So glad I don't have to do that anymore!

We don't need another hero.

"Hipster Starbucks"? Sounds like you're either in Seattle or Austin...

16. belltoller

Nahh...Florida

Things wrapped up sooner than I expected :( I"m going to miss that fitness centre for certain.

17. belltoller

Haven't had a workout since I returned home. Did manage a few sessions of outdoor hoops with the bairn; however, with the temperatures and humidity beginning to soar in the South, its sapping our energy. Almost had a heat-stroke the other day, though I felt quite snappy and cardio held out well.

I'm going to try and put together a workable schedule between now and this weekend - really need to iron out what my goals are and make a workable plan to suit instead of doing anything and everything and ending up accomplishing nothing.

18. belltoller

As productive, training-wise, last week was, this past week has been just the opposite, although I did manage to acquire a proper, heavy-duty barbell bench.

Did spend the weekend engaged in the moving of heavy furniture, playing basketball, running the dog - all under 36 - 37C.

I plan to start (restart) bodywght exercise routines in the next couple of days. I would like to incorporate a functional wght training regime but it does seem that I grow more confused as to the right training methodology the more I research the issue - so much conflicting, contradictory thinking.

I'm also seriously thinking of joining the Crossfit place which is down the road from us as I've no real experience with lifting.

Will update.

19. ned

ned Valued Member

Have you had a look at 'starting strength' by Mark Rippetoe ? (recommended to me by Fish of Doom) - concise explanations of the biomechanics/techniques of the various lifts with a detailed guide to working out a simple , progressive programme (that said I have ended up using a more conditioning based approach - must get back on track with that :eek: ).
    He's an engaging writer and for me it was an informative primer on what , as you point out , can be a complicated subject .

20. belltoller

No, I've not heard of it. I'm looking for a relatively simple programme that will help strengthen the items that need conditioning ahead of beginning more precarious routines such as barbell squats, clean's, etc. - at which point I'd like to have a trainer to help ensure I'm doing things correctly.

A preconditioning phase, if you will.