The Form Check Thread.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

cool, cheers.

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

When pushing the hips back at the begining of an romanian deadlift, should I try to contract the glutes as I stretch them back?
    I've been trying to do that to feel a 'grind' in my glutes but i can't feel it. I'm just using bodyweight, I feel my hamstrings stretch and whne my elbows are on my knees I can contract my glutes there, but I thought at that position i should be contracting my low back to keep the arch. :confused:
    http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/learn-how-to-hinge-in-three-easy-steps/

3. Fish Of Doom

no, the stretch comes from anterior pelvic tilt, and glutes cause the opposite tilt. contract your lower back muscles instead (like when keeping your back straight during a squat). it's better to contract the glutes nearer to lockout.

4. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHeCCQ9WGiA"]assorted form checks - YouTube[/ame] (sorry for crappy angle, leg curl machine was in the way of the ideal camera position)

OHP at various weights.
    push press.
    jerk.
    front, high-bar and low-bar squats.
    high-bar squats at near-max weight (i actually failed two more attempts at that weight afterwards :p).
    high-bar squats for reps.
    overhead squat (with BTW press/push press, but the crappy angle makes a form check for those impossible).
    one-arm DB push press/circus press.

things i saw:

-i appear not to be hitting depth properly on the high bar squats, but the angle makes it hard to tell.
    -my walkouts are inefficient.
    -not pushing my head through properly on the presses.
    -not dipping well enough on the jerks.
    -my clean rack position needs work.
    -need to pay attention to how i grip DBs for pressing.

5. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

@FishofDoom

OHP doesn't look bad, but you tend to push it too far forward and push the head through later than you want. Also the music sucks.

You need to put more leg into the push press. More speed. The jerk looked...jerky. Get the back knee down more, and try to make that catch position stronger. Don't move around. Just settle, and get back to standing when you are ready.

Get the elbows high on the front squats. Perhaps moving the hands in, and don't worry about getting all your fingers on the bar. Two or three is plenty.

In the high bar squats, you are hitting depth but its right at the point where its almost too high (actually at the 112 kg, I don't think I would count it). I don't know enough about low bar technique to comment. On some of the later ones, you are not hitting depth. YOu may want to put the safeties at a lower point.

Its tough because its just the bar, but try and stay more upright in the overhead squat.

I don't know enough to comment on the dumbbell stuff.

6. Fish Of Doom

musci is gym music. that's why i wear earphones :p

cheers, man.

7. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Good call, the music sounded like an alarm.

8. Fish Of Doom

since zaad asked, here's a bunch of footage of me doing cleans:

(warning: mild swearing faintly audible at a couple of points in the video)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK4Vxlihvic"]clean and press test - YouTube[/ame]

yes, i am aware i have forwards displacement, and i'm doing it on purpose, since i find it helps me catch the weight better (that was why zaad asked me to film it :p)

9. Fish Of Doom

note: i have massive forwards lean at the beginning because i have like zero dorsiflexion and the weights were too light to counterbalance me.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

oh lordy. fish you're strong. but technique...

Set Up: The cleans
    First Pull needs to be slower and more controlled. concentrate on getting the bar to below the knees for the hang clean position (explained below)

Set up: the hang cleans
    the set up needs to mimic coming out of the first pull (from ground to above the knees) and transitioning to the second pull (from the top of the knees caps to the rib cage)

Set up out of the rack by placing the bar between youe stomach and thighs (the crease of the hip) when standing with it and get your grips.
    Then slide the bar down you thighs and just below your knee caps, back straight, looking up and leaning forward. this'll load the hamstrings.
    as you pull, start by pulling the bar slowly from below your knees to just above the knee cap then explode up. that'll mimic the transition

Second Pull and Recieving: Jumping forward:
    you're not keeping the bar close to you. keep your forearms vertical until you have it high enough to get under. if your forearms point forward then as you pull the bar will move away from you and you'll have to jump forward, it's because you're anticipating the catch before you've finished the pull.

PRACTICE: with a broom stick or just empty hand slowly. elbows point up, forearms vertical, pull the bar to the the top of the movement, let momentum take over AND THEN squat and rotate the elbows round the bar simultaneously.

Pull the bar to the correct height, feel the momentum take over and get under.
    Clean pull height - between the sternum and the bottom of the rib cage.
    This'll stop you riding the bar down. pull it only to the required height.

Elbows more up during the catch.

Stop jumping up so much with the second pull too, this isnt crossfit, dont vertical jump the bar. controlled triple extension, practice that without the bar too.

CUES:
    Take it easy off the floor
    Fast in the middle
    To height
    Get under, get the elbows round quick
    Come out the hole

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  11. Mangosteen

34 seconds, that one second shows the issue with the jumping.
    in that one second you see an explosive reverse curl.

pull the bar vertically up.
    try this empty handed.
    make sure your forarms are vertical, elbows pointing to the sky, a spread your fingers and trace your thumbs - from the side of your hips, up your obliques and from your serratus to armpit - thats the motion you need with your arms

12. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Looks like you are finishing the second pull too early and bumping the bar forward because of it. Also not keeping the shoulders in front of the bar. Your butt should stick out more at the beginning of the second pull.

The angle in this video is pretty good to see. Take a look at 32ish seconds in, look how far back my butt is when the bar passes my knee.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNyB9j7PHlE&list=UUAQ6v4Atd-tRbrGOw2rdYAQ&index=38&feature=plcp"]Helinek Clean 133 - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT: I was looking through for a good video, I think this one does a good job. It looks like you are putting too much into the pull, and not enough into the hip pop (because your hips are popping the bar forward, not up.) Listen to the sound when it leaves my hips here, and you can even see the bar just kind of pop up and arms follow it. Feet don't leave the ground, its just an explosive hip pop. If you hear that sound, its good.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCPzYH1M_UI&list=UUAQ6v4Atd-tRbrGOw2rdYAQ&index=40&feature=plcp"]Helinek Clean and Jerk 100 KG - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. Mangosteen

cloystreng's advice on catapult may be more relevant to you

14. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Sorry Zaad, I just realized that my advice kind of goes against yours. I guess I focused on the second pull and you focused on the third. My problems have always stemmed from the second pull so I gravitate to it.

15. Mangosteen

no worries :)

i think it's also different lifting styles.
    triple extension and catapult
    in weight lifting orgs here, we only learn two pulls (the third is the catch which i guess is and active pull but terminology meh) and dont catapult because of trying to keep linear barpath. apparently the science on it is good for efficiency but i think its an each to his own thing.

agree on the set up though. hips further back and needs to pop the hips.

16. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

may have to do some cleans for zaad and cloy to look at, Vikka taught me to clean but that was many moons ago. (i think zaad knows who vikka is.) pretty sure it'll be a standard chimp esque brute force yank than a thing beauty but we'll see.

17. Mangosteen

no idea who vikka is tbh!

dont know any lifters outside my coach and his immediate colleagues.