The First Aikido Students in Scotland

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hellis, Dec 5, 2020.

1. hellis

hellis New Member

Hi
    I am working on a book of ` British Aikido History ` to be published very soon on Amazon publishing, I would like to pay tribute to the first students in the main areas of Britain, I with Ken Williams Sensei first taught Aikido in Glasgow in 1960 (?) I remember Tom Weir and William `Slim` Coyle, I would be pleased if someone can jog this old memory of mine with maybe two more names. If anyone from Wales is reading this, same question applies.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Regards
    Henry Ellis
    Co-author of ` Founding of JuJutsu, Judo,Aikido in the UK` (Amazon)

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Sensei William Coyle was a long time great contributor to this forum.

You may be able to find his posts on here as "Koyo".

koyo

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Koyo was very knowledgeable and knew his Aikido in Scotland .
    Are you going to mention the hut ?

4. hellis

hellis New Member

Thank you to both axelb and Alansmurf , I remember Coyle Sensei from my first visit to Scotland in 1960 (?) I also have my old friend Joe Curran credited.
    As to, will I mention the Hut? the `Hut Dojo` and Aikido are one and the same, I trained at the Hut from 1957 until 1967. Once again thankyou for your interest.
    Henry Ellis
    Co-author of ` Positive Aikido `
    Co-author of ` Founding of JuJutsu, Judo, Aikido in the UK.,

Dead_pool, axelb and Alansmurf like this.
  5. hellis

hellis New Member

6. hellis

hellis New Member

Hi -Alansmurf;
    Thank you all for your replies, the book "British Aikido History" was published by Amazon on the 7th of March. I have referenced for Scotland - W Coyle (Koyo) G Girvan - Joe Curran. I have also included a photo of Koyo and Joe Curran. The B/W book is £6-35p - a coloured version is available for £27-00 - you don't need to buy the book to see the credits, just go to Amazon - Aikido Books` enter - " British Aikido History" at the top of the books cover image - it says [ Look inside] for a free preview. Thank you once again for your help.
    Henry Ellis
    Co-author ` British Aikido History` .

axelb and Dead_pool like this.