The end of the northern white rhino

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by axelb, Mar 20, 2018.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Last male northern white rhino dies

I read this today, it's sad that they have come to the end of the line at the hands of humans. The last make northern white rhino now gone, only 2 females left.

I was lucky to see northern white rhino in the wild over 10 years ago, it's such a tragedy that poaching still goes on. :(

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Humans suck!

3. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Yep, it is a tragedy. Those rhinos came from a ZOO in the Czech Republic that I visited before. I was also able to see those rhinos years ago on safari in Kenya. It is such sad news. :( And there are so many other species becoming extinct, too :(

axelb likes this.
  4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

What gets me is the absolute stupidity and ignorance of the clown who shot him , it was no secret that they were endangered.
    If they really must shoot them , at least give them a chance to repopulate so they can continue to "hunt" them , which in itself is a farce as they're not that really that hard to kill once you find them.

axelb, Nachi and Pretty In Pink like this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have this image in our heads that the hunters are tall men who were well equipped and expert hunters. The truth is they are scared kids who are desperate for money. Absolutely gutted they will be extinct now.

axelb, bassai and Nachi like this.
  6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Wasn't he put to sleep due to poor health and not just shot for fun?

As for all the other Rhinos - I totally agree, of course.
    Not hunting endangered species would be nice change.

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

My understanding is that they're rich guys with big guns who can afford to hire local guides who know where to find their prey.

8. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

Blame Capitalism.

9. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Yeah, been on the news at work all day. Vet put him down due to ill health. They're hoping to use a never tried before IVF, using a female Southern White as a surrogate, as the two remaining Northern are his daughter and granddaughter.

Very sad day indeed.

axelb likes this.
  10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I saw 2 northern white rhino and one western black rhino in Kenya, hard to find, but really they did not seem at all bothered by us being there.

this is the harsh reality, driven by the desires of the rich to buy/sell "snake oil".

I'm happy to see some progress in the UK for a ban on the "legal" Ivory trade which is heavily linked to illegal ivory trade.

Surely the people with that money to throw around would be better put to other cause, but that's not how it works :(

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I don't know which is sadder - that such beautiful creatures continue to be driven to extinction even today, or that people on social media have said this is "fake news" driven by a liberal agenda much like climate change. I nearly broke my nose from facepalming so hard.

David Harrison and axelb like this.