The Devil ~ Beyond Evil?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Judderman, Mar 22, 2004.

1. elektro

elektro Valued Member

You all seem to assume that God is the same now as he was thousands of years ago. The assumption that as an immortal, he stays static in character and power.
    Anyway - is he immortal? If "Time" ends when this universe ends, then so does God. Then what? Is he just one of many Gods of many universes that in the grander scale of things each does actually have a limited lifespan, that ends when his universe ends. In which case if humans reflect God, then he could go throught the same ageing process as humans.

What I'm trying to say is - perhaps he's mellowed out. Which could explain why his behaviour now is different to his behaviour then. And also accounts for the differetn interpretations of him over the ages, adn perhaps the creation of some things that maybe now he wished he hadn't.

That is if you believe in God of course.

Edit : Same goes for Satan too, maybe it used to be fireworks and hellhounds, but now perhaps they are two grumpy old men slagging each other off from across the universe. Just a thought.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  2. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

Good point. the same God we worship for being loving and kind is also the same God who cast down fire on Sodom and Gomorrah. Oh and the same God who Helped Sampson Kill 1000 men with the jawbone of a donky. To me God is Both a Mystery and a paradox. :Angel: :yeleyes:

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Why would God end?

4. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

Ahhh.. soo many good questions so with very few answers, always looking, always searching for that wich can't be found. that is the essence of philosophy.. If we knew all the answers then I wouldnt be posting this message on this forum. and that is the same with God. No mater how out of the box you may think you are. You are thinking out of the mortal box not the immortal box. We cant prove that there is a God who fights Satan for our souls.. Heck, we cant even prove we have a soul. But the one thing we humans do have that could be compared to swinging a bat wildly in the dark.. Is Faith.

5. elektro

elektro Valued Member

lol I don't know..... I think I logically came to the conclusion that immortal=lives forever, and forever=for all time.
    If you take time as being particular to this universe or "local" to each universe then the only way to kill an immortal being would be to end time.
    Time being measured by change (in the universe).
    Therefore - The only way to end time is to end the universe. Change stops, therfore time stops.

However if time exists outside of this universe then God would survive I guess...

:confused: don't pay too much attention to my ramblings ;)

6. elektro

elektro Valued Member

Mind you that's going by a man made definition of time. So it all kind of goes out the window really.....
    Time might be measured differently in another universe, for example if there are an infinite number of universes tehn the chances exactly 1:1 in other words 100% that there is at least one which consists of entirely matter and no energy, in which case there is never any change. Time, does not exist in that universe by the way we define it, so - if time does not exist in that universe surely there cannot be an immortal God? Unless time is measured in a different way in that universe. In which case, I wonder how that God's existence ends? He must be quite bored LOL.
    Opps sorry there I go again......

7. aikiMac

Why must God be immortal?
    Why can't he be eternal?
    Isn't *something* eternal? And if so, why can't we name that thing "God" ?

That's probably good advice. ;)

8. elektro

elektro Valued Member

9. aikiMac

You said immortal = lives for all time.
    Okay. That's fine. I'll go with that.
    But eternal = lives beyond the boundaries of time.

Is your God bounded by time? Usually people credit God with creating time, which puts him outside the boundaries of time, which makes him "eternal" rather than "immortal."

10. elektro

elektro Valued Member

That was why I asked you it all depends whether he is immortal or eternal. Not being part of any organised religion (I won't say not religous as I like to keep an open mind if possible) I do not know which one God is "meant" to be.
    Also - if he is immortal, within what time scale is that? The local in our Universe, or teh more "general" concept of time outside our universe - if there is one.
    In my opinion the "answers" to these questions lie somewhere halfway between science religion. Mix these two and you have a very powerful system IMHO.
    Having said "science" what I said wasn't really science just attempted philosophical rantings, but I think you get my point.....

Edit - he created time in all religions? Or just some? But good point......
    How could he have created time when time is a man made concept? Or do you take the argument that everything we do and think is "Of God"? In which case I answer my own question.
    I don't care what the answers are, I'm just fascinated by the subject matter. Good brain food :cool:

For example - the Greek Gods seem to be more "mortal" than our God......it seems they could destroy each other, or reduce each other in power/fight amongst themselves etc.

11. elektro

elektro Valued Member

Also - what say you aikimac on teh concept of the "character" of God being ever changing? Explaining the changeable behaviour and demeanour?
    I we are made in his image, surely he is also burdened with bitterness, jealousy, etc. ?

12. aikiMac

I don't know. That was your idea, not mine.

If God created time, then time is not a manmade concept.

I have never thought of God changing his character. That would, like, totally suck, because morality might change. What was good might become bad, and vice versa, and we'd be confused.

There is good bitterness and bad bitterness, good jealousy and bad jealousy. Consider what your God displays before accusing him of bad character.