the Dane Cook sucks thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Cosmo Kramer, Feb 14, 2008.

?

Do you hate Dane Cook

Poll closed Feb 14, 2009.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Yes, I do

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. He blows

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

**** that unfunny overated hack comic who is only liked because women think he is hot, and not because he is funny.

2. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

Actually, he started out really funny, some of his beginning stuff was hilarious but then he got overblown with how famous he'd became and started sucking it up big time.
    It's a shame how a talented guy can turn to tripe, but that's show biz for ya

3. I'mKira

I'mKira Banned Banned

4. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore Valued Member

What if you are simply indifferent to Mr. Cook?

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I watched his DVD at my buddies house and fell asleep.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmm... I'm actually a big fan of Dane Cooks early stuff. His early standup was great. His later stuff... some of the TV stuff wasn't all that. Then again... that shouldn't be any surprise. Most of the crap on sitcoms isn't funny. Hollywood has a way of taking people that are good at standup and getting them to do TV series and sitcoms... and generally they suck.

I think his early skits Aliens/Mr. Kool-Aid/Public Toilets/DMV Year 2099 were all fricken hilarious. :p

I can't blame him for picking up TV/sitcoms and series work... he's got bills to pay like anyone else. People want to bitch about Dane Cook? Get in line... start bitching about the sorry state of comedy on television in general first. It was a huge problem long before Dane Cook came on the scene. :rolleyes:

7. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Dane Cook is also notorious for stealing jokes from Louis CK and others.

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Dane Cook on stilts is a famous rehab technique they use for woodcarvers. It gets them on the stuff pronto!

9. slipthejab

Hmmm... curious if you know of any of his bit thats are 'stolen' have vids or show the material as delivered by other comedians/writers? :confused:

Do you know if any of the particular ones I've mentioned are 'stolen'? :confused:

Are you referring to his stand up or his TV stuff?

10. SonOfGrimmy

SonOfGrimmy Valued Member

Says the guy named after a comic who throws out racial slurs?

11. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

This is one example that I found quickly.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh_xfJZxvto"]YouTube[/ame]

Seems like youtube has a ton of others. I have a friend who is a stand-up comic and he's got a list of the "Comedians Most Wanted." I think Carlos Mencia is on the list too.

I'm not sure if the other bits are his own, I'll have to do some digging.

EDIT: Here's another one, from Demetri Martin who's one of my favorites. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KVSwBfyXe4"]YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  12. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I'd pay a dollar to watch him fall off a skyscraper and splat on the ground. I'd LMAO over that for sure.

13. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

1. I had the name before that happened and was not interested in doing what is needed to change it after posting with this name for over a year.

2. Michael Richards was making slurs, not Cosmo Kramer. Cosmo is not a comedian, he is a fictional character played by a comedian.

3. It has nothing to do with the Dane Cook, or the thread. Thanks for your great input, the thread would have no substance without it.

For the record, I feel racisum is an evil thing and I wish that humans of all races would not be racist. I would like that all races see things as issues or as people, and not see just skin color. Beyond that I am not gonna sit here and try to explain it anymore to you <<snip>> people who spam or troll message boards.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  14. SonOfGrimmy

SonOfGrimmy Valued Member

Dane cook never made naughty comments
    Just saying ;)

15. slipthejab

Did you even listen to that? :confused:

It's not as if Dane Cook made verbatim copies of the jokes. In fact I wonder if there's actually any sort of proof other than some random video on YouTube?
    (lol - well to be fair... there are a ton of DC hater vids on YouTube. :D )

I think Dane Cooks delivery and timing are far better than Louie CK anyhow. He's got a better knack for buildup and resolution than the other guy does by far. His stuff isn't an exact copy of the LCK stuff... in the same vein.. yes... but that's to be expected with comedy to be honest. It's been going on since time immemorial. Given human experience I think we can agree there are going to be similarities in material. Christ... look at Hollywood films... formula theft left right and center.

I think the case for copying is pretty weak. It'd be like someone telling a knock-knock joke and then that same person claiming that they told a knock-knock joke first and therefore you were copying when you told yours.

I just don't see it. I think this is more a case of simultaneity than anything else. It happens.

That all being said... I watched a bit more Louis CK's stuff... it's pretty good actually. Totally different style/timing/delivery than Dane Cooks stuff... but still funny. :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  16. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

no need for profanity guys, really.