The Countdown Starts Today!

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Korpy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. JeffNights

JeffNights New Member

Pheraps I shoulda put one of those smiley faces next to my original comment.

It was typed in jest.

I was merely trying to imply that there are many more acheivments to be had and not to get so worked up about the Yellow Belt. But it was late for me, and I was off to bed soon.

Anyways, Dangruss, I fail to see how you can interpet my attitude through 18 typed words of mine. As far as me dropping out, which you implied, I have been attending class now for 6 months 4 times a week and have not missed a single class. But you can have your opinion.

Way to go Korpy, I didnt know so many people were so sensitive about a post.

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you for the way to go.

3. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

Your first joint lock you learned in HKD was as a yellow belt ?

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Yep. It's my 6th technique.

5. JeffNights

JeffNights New Member

That raises a red flag for me.

6. BackFistMonkey

so ummm you have learned 6 techniques ... 5 of them qualified you to your yellow belt ? None of the five for the yellow belt were joint locks ?

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I don't get it. What's wrong. I learned so far 1 and only 1 joint lock.

White belt was all breakouts. These are breakouts and joint locks I believe. (for yellow belt)

8. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

No this is what I had to do to get my yellow belt.

Starting from when I was a white belt.

2 kicking combinations

10 techniques (breakouts it's the white belt equivilent to what I'm learning now, no joint locks)

11 forms

1 board breaking technique

Now this is what I have learned so far for yellow belt.

2 kicking combinations

There are 10 techniques, I have learned 6, 5 of them are breakouts, and the 6th is my first joint lock. I believe the rest of my techniques are joint locks.

Then I forget, but I have to learn more forms. And then another board breaking technique.

9. BackFistMonkey

Wow heavy on the forms ... do they really make you learn 11 different forms ? for yellow belt ? We have a nine STEP white belt form , a 11 step yellow belt form and only one for for each belt except green .. which has two forms ... one focusing on knees and elbows .. and one that involves break falling , recovery to feet and sweeps ( working high and low fluidly is the point of the second form ) .

I think I see how the basic breakaways and joint locks are being taught in your school ... I am pretty sure My school has four non locking breakaways and three joint locks from breakaways for white belts to learn . I think your school just simply put all the releases in white then the locks in yellow ... nothing wrong with that I guess I was just curious and worried there for a minute when you said you had not done any joint locks till now .

Thanks for taking the time to answer Korpy .

10. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Ah, it's no problem, you asked, I answered. You were just curious how to see my school works out.

11. BackFistMonkey

but I was serious when I asked about learning 11 diferent forms for your yellow belt . Was that a typo or a miscommunication ? or are you guys really that heavy on the forms ? And what exactly are you calling a form ? you might have a different definition than I do

Train Hard , Be well , and listen to some of the "rude haters" you have to deal with . I swear most of them if not all are out for a giggle AND are trying to help you at the same time .

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Actually we are not very heavy on forms.

They worry about teaching us techniques and kicking more. But forms are apart of what we learn.

The forms were easy and simple.

13. BackFistMonkey

WOW you really learned eleven forms for your yellow belt test.. thats crazy to me ... thanks man any details you can give about the forms would be awsome ! I am REALLY curious now .

14. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I will be more than happy to answer.

Now what do you want to know about my forms?

15. BackFistMonkey

Tell Me anything you feel like you have the time to share .

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Hmm just need to know, what you want to know.

I've learned 6 yellow belt techniques, 2 kicking combinations.

I still have to learn 4 more techniques, I don't know how many forms, and then my board breaking technique.

17. BackFistMonkey

describe some of these forms .... if you could ...

18. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Ok let's see I'm trying to think of the right words.

Start out from standing, and go into the horse stance, keep your hands open and straight, a tiny bit above your hips.

Inhale with your nose, kiah, sort of hold your breath, push the air down to when your ki is, and push your hands straight out (slowly) Bring them back, exhale with your mouth. Bring your hands back to your hips. That's the first form.

Then basically repeat the same steps except push your hands out to the side. That's my second form.

Repeat steps, except push your hands directly up. Third form.

Repeat steps, except push your hands beneath you. Fouth form.

Then stand up straight, bring your hands to your chest in a diamond, Fifth form.

Do a back fall, keeping your legs up, hands on the mat. Sixth form.

Bring both arms up like your legs, which are slanted, and fall to the right, sitting one leg up, one laying down hold your stomach, look at your belt, have the other arm on the mat. Seventh form.

Repeat except go to the left. Eighthform.

Swing your legs around to get up, one leg laying down, one siting up. Ninth form.

Get up, spread your legs, hands by chest like a diamond, do a front fall. Tenth form.

Lay one leg down, then one leg up. Eleventh form.

Hope I helped.

19. JimH

JimH Valued Member

Up to your 5th form seems like Korean Breathing exercises to me.

20. BackFistMonkey

OH ... ok I see what your saying .. if you strung them all together you would get what I call I form . The four together seem create something close to what I learned as the first breathing excercise .

Our White belt form is something like this broken down step by step :

#1.step back into left forward deep stance righ low block *Kia*

#2.slide into right forward deep stance reverse punch .

#3.slide into left forward deep ,left low block

#4.slide into right forward deep , reverse punch

#5.swing left leg aound so you turn 180 degrees to a right foward deep .

#6.slide into left forward deep stance reverse punch .

#7.slide into right forward deep stance reverse punch.

#8.slide into left forward deep stance reverse punch .

#9.step foward with right leg left leg travels behind you so you end up doing another 180 into a right foward deep stance low block* KIA *