The Countdown Starts Today!

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Korpy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Well done

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you veryy much Saz, I'm just feeling so good now. :)

3. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Sad to say but your master will generally smile when you pas a belt and people clap out of politeness for everyone.
    Dont get out of your pond yet

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

No, it cause he was happy that all of his students could do what they came to do, and do it perfectly.

There's no need for you to act like a jerk for no reason.

I know I have a long way to go, and you don't have to say, he's just smiling cause he has to. (and he doesn't need to btw)

Maybe it has to do, that I'm the only person the allowed in under 16 to do HKD at the school, and my Master knows it. And he knows that everytime I go there, I work my butt off, doing the best I can.

But of course, my Master was just being polite. :rolleyes:

Go bring someone else's spirit, you're not needed.

5. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Im such a lovely person :D

6. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Not funny. Now...

*points to the exit sign in the thread*

7. dngrruss

dngrruss Valued Member

Congrats Korpy. It has only just begun.

Count- don't crap on the kid's parade. Not needed.

8. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

Congratulations Korpy.
    Btw I just looked at TheCount's age. LMAO!!!

9. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Good job, Korpy. :)

Alright guys, let's not start a raggin' war.

10. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you all.

I'm very happy, and I can't wait to start learning more.

11. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

Congrats.

what forms did you have to do?

12. Lefty

Lefty Yummy!

Congratulations! Time to change your belt in your signature!

What did you break with?

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Yes, I must fix my signature.

I had to break the board with my fist in a hammer like motion. I was very happy when the board broke.

14. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo New Member

Congrats Korpy! Well done!

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you.

16. JeffNights

JeffNights New Member

Korpy..its a yellow belt...relax....

I got mine like 4 months ago and was not nearly this excited...

17. dngrruss

dngrruss Valued Member

Jeff, I wish I had 50 kids like Korpy at my school. If it's a big deal to him, let him have it. If his excitement and hunger remains, he will go on to great acheivements in MA, and hopefully HKD specifically.

Your attitude is shared by most students. Most students also drop out. Hmmm.. connection? I don't know.

At my school, most of my students are very happy that they got their yellow, or for that matter, any belt from me and my staff. I put them through hell, even the kids. I don't water down anything. They learn that rank and status is earned, not acquired.

Young people, and many adults, feel that they are entitled to rewards just for showing up. One of the many reasons I don't like most soccer organizations is that they give trophies and awards to all participants. Some MA tourneys have started doing the same. They teach thier students that reward is deserved simply for still breathing and taking up space.

I'll put one of my students against 100 of those students any day of the week. My guys are excited and jump through fire to get thier rewards. They know how much blood, sweat, and tears is expected of them. If they don't put out, they will not succeed. That is the way the world works. When an MA instructor does not give all his students the tools to succeed in life, not just MA, he is doing them a gigantic disservice.

I know that this is turning into a rant, but when I read posts that are negative toward someone simply based on their personality and excitement, I am more than willing to defend them. Korpy is a newbie. He has just passed his first test and is looking forward to the next step. Give him his moment, let him enjoy it, and keep your snotty attitude to yourself.

18. Lefty

Lefty Yummy!

Hear, hear!
    I find myself drawn to Korpy's posts because of his energy and enthusiasm. I think the worst thing we could do is try to quash that. You go, Korpy!

19. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

I agree... I can honestly say that the day I got my yellow belt, it felt like as big of an accomplishment as when I got my black. I was around Korpy's age, and it was a big deal then and it should've been.

Korpy's doing great and I, for one, think he catches way too much flack around here. Yeah, maybe he's been a bit overzealous with the threads, but that's a symptom of something positive.

Go Korpy.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  20. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Wow thanks guys.

Sorry, I haven't been around as much, I started school.

But you can bet I'm still happy with my yellow belt, I wear proudly.

I also learned my first joint lock this week so gotta put that in the history books. lol. :D

I'm so excited about the stuff I'm learning in yellow belt. It's a little tougher, but I see connections that some of the stuff has to my white belt stuff, so I don't stress.

Thank you guys for your encouragement.