The Contender

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by funkymonk, Mar 13, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

The contender was horrible. they had to resort to rocky music and cutscenes of the fights to make it interesting, but what can you expect, its boxing. of course they are going to spice it up using cheesy music and half assed fights. it is the business of entertainment.

2. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

lmao if only u knew how many times this song has been set on "repeat" on my computer lol. :D

3. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

im sorry that you feel that way, fortunetly, you are a minority :D

edit: forgot to add, if boxing is like you mentioned, what brings you to this section of the forum.

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Tekkengod, how can you mistake Hanz Zimmer (the greatest film composer on earth!) for Rocky music? :D

5. I watched CONTENDER for the first time on Friday - not impressed. The actual idea and the way it's put together is good, but the fights were awful.

It was very Rocky-esque, and the fights almost looked fake.

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

the fights were boring and you can instantly tell they cut out the scences of rest and boring moments. it was dull, very dull. and yuki, i'm gonna look into that guy just cause he sounds cool. but it sounded like rocky music at the time, and sylvester Stallone in the background going "asubbababa.....ahahahzzzzzaahahbbbbah" in the along with his other incessant mumblings didn't help the matter much

7. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

TG, what are you doing in the boxing forum. Birds eaten your breadcrums?

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i just saw a thread about that horrific show and had to give my 2 cents.

9. nobelt

nobelt Valued Member

Actually i think the contender is an awesome show and the best "reality show" ive seen for a while. I actually really like the addition of the music and have too downloaded the hanz zimmer tune, although i had to dearch for it manually before i found this site. Someone mentioned it being like rocky music but i think the soundtrack to the rocky films were great anyway.
    I still dont know who the winner is and want to keep it that way until i see it. Missed a few episodes recently so dont know how far it is so ive been trying to download them off the net.

10. Koryo

Koryo Valued Member

Meh, reasonably entertaining but nowhere near as good as The Ultimate Fighter (which by the way has better intro music, better drama, better bitching and much better smack talking).

11. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

yeah. The Ultimate Fighter was 10xs the show the contender was.
    its production values may not have been as high, but thats the only thing they have.

they didn't have to resort to cut scenes and rocky music to make the show interesting, i mean, its MMA, enough said.

12. Bhattman

Bhattman Valued Member

Sergio Won!!!!

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Indeed he did :) It was a close fight at first, but then towards the end Sergio started to take control (he looked to be in excellent condition!).

14. Jamo2

If you look back i state that Sergio was going to win from the very beginning, did i not :rolleyes:
    Hes great, he deserved it.

15. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I liked sergio, but the only thing that annoyed me about him was his attitude in the ring. He always taunted his opponent and then in the final he has a go at manfredo's corner - i didnt want him to lose but i think it would have taught him a lesson if he took a serious shot while doing that.

16. Jamo2

Well he did if you remember. He took his eyes off manfredo and got a bit of a clobbering for it. He did apologize though and said it was "in the heat of the moment"

17. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

i saw it and it s*cks

18. Mystyk

Mystyk New Member

I love that show. The definatly trained like hell, I mean come on, A chance to win 1 mill and they are all just going to sit on their asses?

19. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

it was very good television at best, and that is a big complement at the moment. i also thought it was fixed, Manfredo, to say he is ranked so highly, was a huge let down
    Alfonso Gomez should clearly have been the winner and i feel it was fixed, hence why he was given the bronze medal

20. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I was rooting for Gomez from the start; he got so far and I thought he was going to make it :(