The Combo Guy

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Pretty In Pink, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

So in class tonight, and we are drilling a combination:

Lead kick, right cross, left hook, right round kick.

Easy.

So we go at it, and I get to try this out with three people, two of them have been there for a few years, and when I went with them they done this combo, but the way they did it was just so cool!

Basically, one worked angles and not quite normal punches. They both also used irregular footwork, like pausing, or stepping outside/inside for both the kicks. Stepping out on the hook, stepping towards me on the hook

It was just fantastic stuff, and it really inspired me!

2. Pretty In Pink

Shameless bump.

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

What I've noticed is that when people first learn a technique/combo, they pretty much do it the way they are taught. However, as they practice it more and get more efficient, they start adding their own flavour to it, while still retaining the proper technique. It's pretty cool to see the creativity.

4. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

It's way too easy to defend vs a person who can only attack using "linear" footwork. Using angles are your friend!

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You have 4 moves combo here. Which move do you intend to use it as your "finish" move?

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Combos are good training, so many times people forget to use them.

Remember that good combos can be built off the reaction/movements of the opponent, not just your own movements.

If you lead with the front kick, you might want to switch it up so that your lead leg turns into your rear leg and then when you front kick, it will be a rear leg front kick with more power. Kick them high in the chest so that it knocks them back and stuns them. Now you can throw in that power cross.

Alternatively, throw a lower lead front kick, getting the opponent to look down, then skip in with a fake knee with your other leg and turn it into a superman punch.

These are still just variations on the front kick, cross combo you were using.

Remember you always should have at least one of your hands up to protect when you attack, so when you follow up with a left hook your right hand needs to be up to protect. However, with that said, you can throw your right cross kind of slower to get them to block it and follow with a faster left hook. You can also throw your right cross to the face and keep your hand there on front of their eyes to block the opponent's vision so they can't see the left hook coming.

The right leg round kick is to any available target, it isn't a great follow-up to a left hook, IMHO. Rather, I would try out following the left hook with a left round kick or spin around to a right spinning back fist or a right spinning back kick.

Nevertheless, sounds like great stuff you are working on Chadderz.

7. Pretty In Pink

I agreed with you for most of that man, I just didn't get the "left hook, left round kick" part. It kinda goes against natural body movements.

We also don't really use fancier moves like that, although we once done superman punches for teh lulz.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think it may be a terminology problem there Chadderz. Read as right hook, right Thai round kick to thigh and the move is far from fancy.

9. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

From my point of view...

Whichever one lands hard enough to do the job would be my answer - or - all of them as the point of a combination is to allow someone who does not have a single finishing technique to win.

10. Pretty In Pink

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant the spinning back fist when I said "fancy" :p

11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

You might like this video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf7KkG7FWls"]MMA Combination Stikes- part01.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

At 7:20+ Bas Rutten goes over the left hook and left round kick combination.

12. Pretty In Pink

Thanks for posting that! It's still not something I would try, at least not yet ^^
    to post a video of me sparring

Although I might try a right cross, right round kick.

I think I'm going to post a video of me sparring soon.