The Christian Message

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Taff, Aug 8, 2006.

1. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

That polls wrong for one reason, it has atheism on it as a religion, I didn't vote. Another thing, are there more christians than in any other "one" religion?

Also are there more religous combined than atheist? But yes, majority is the one that has the most.

Christianity 8 24.24%
    Jeudaism 1 3.03%
    Buddhism 4 12.12%
    Taoism 2 6.06%
    Islam 3 9.09%
    Hindu 0 0%
    Wiccan 0 0%
    Athiest 7 21.21%
    Agnostic 3 9.09%
    Other.

2. hillbilly79

hillbilly79 Valued Member

But you have to stick to something!! At least for this particular moment in time. When I said the other day that "Everyone has to believe something," and you replied that you didn't have to believe in anything, I was referring to the fact that even if you don't believe in my God or any god that is still a belief. I think that if you really get picky about it, everyone who makes a statement "I believe ______." they could be considered narrow minded. There is a difference between listening to what others believe and thinking that unless everyone accepts everything that has ever been conceived as a possible truth they are narrow-minded.
    And on judging people based on their actions and words, that is really all that people can do on earth. God knows hearts. It is extremely admirable that Bill Gates would give all of that money. But would you say that that in itself makes him a selfless person? Could there be other reasons for him giving it? Maybe side incentives? Tax deduction? Notoriety (I don't think I spelled that right)? I'm not saying that those are the reasons for his generosity; you really couldn't give that much away and not be fairly committed to the cause. But it is also possible such things could have swayed the decision and if that were the case, that wouldn't make him quite as big of a hero would it?

3. hillbilly79

Just looked up the definition. A majority is either more than half or the one with the most votes. Statistics can prove anything we want them to.

4. hillbilly79

Maybe we should start a thread on kittens. That seems so much more pleasent than constant arguing. I know, I know, I'm the one that started it and I certainly won't let it die either.

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

what does that mean? "you have to stick to something" The very definition or narrow minded i think would be "close minded" well of course there are other motivations for those donations, but the point is that those men are very public atheists, but they have done very good things. and yes, you have to believe in something pretty hard to donate that amount of money. I think the best example, and perhaps one of the most selfless people on the planet, is Angelina Jolie, an atheist, who has done countless hours of charity work in africa, adopted children donated millions to childrens funds. all of this out of her own pockets. She very clearly believes in what shes doing for these people. and I'll bet you my bottom dollar that one of the reasons for her position is that shes been around the world and seen some very horrible things in those places in africa. She tries her best to fix things, for no other reason than she wants to help people. Her morality most definately does not stem from religion. would you call her "Not a hero" ? I honestly can't think of a better modern day role model.

6. WatchfulAbyss

Are you agreeing or no, I don't follow. (Sorry it's been a long week) Because it does have the most votes after all.

Can I ask, what did you base your comment on christians being a minority on.

7. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

When people say they "don't believe in anything" in a religious context, that doesn't mean they don;t believe in anything at all, just that they don't believe in anything supernatural.

So they believe in the world that their 5 senses gives them and that's it.
    I've yet to see a good argument that rejects this position.
    I personally believe that there's something beyond our material world but I have no rational grounds to argue so. Likewise, a materialist's argument against me could only use Occam's Razor: "We don't need supernatural concepts to explain the world, so why bother with them?"

8. hillbilly79

Well, for one thing, I didn't realize all the guys (and girl) you have been mentioning were atheists, so now I see why you keep bringing them up.

In order to be open minded do I have to believe everything, all theories on how to conduct my life? Take something from each religion? Reject all religion as you have? How do you think one should act to avoid being narrow minded? Just keep my opinions to myself because they might offend someone else?

Angelina Jolie, Armstrong, Gates, all of the people you have mentioned will do more for humanity than I ever will. I wish that wasn't the case; I wish had the resources to help others like that. (Heck, I don't even have the resources to go to Africa, much less help people there on a grand scale.) But like I said unless you are perfect/sinless or you know someone that is, you're not going to go to heaven. We (myself included) admire do-gooders who give to poor, but when you get down to it, they are just people too. People who hurt, need help themselves (for whatever reason), but at times fail at the task or decision at hand. I have no problem admitting that I need a higher power to help me make it through this life. (Weak and pathetic I know so don't bother to repeat it.)

I don't know tekkengod, we can keep going round and round about good people/bad people in heaven and hell. But you know where I stand and I likewise for you.

9. hillbilly79

Have you ever met a sincere Christian who honestly tried to live their life the best they could and was devoted to God wholeheartedly?

Have you ever met a Christian who had a sewer of a mouth, cheated on their wife, talked hateful to others, was miserable to be around, and/or didn't exhibit first thing Christ-like?

In your experience, which type of Christian is more prevelant in the world? I'm not talking about achieving perfection (everybody slips up and does stupid things). But you can tell most frauds relatively easy. That is what I am basing my comment on.

Having just said that, you were correct in the fact that I cannot take the title of Christian away from anyone. I can't make those people not count.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  10. hillbilly79

But isn't that tormenting, at least a little bit?

11. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

In order to be open minded all you have to do is embrace the idea that you might be wrong.
    The bolded text is scary, that despite they've done for people, the massive scale improvements they've implimented. because they don't share your beliefs, they go to hell. Its scary because you admit that openly.
    I can't fathom why you would want to worship something that judges on that basis, and then refuses to make himself known. I think you need to ask yourself that question, do you really want to worship something that wouldn't allow those people passage? at this rate, hell is gonna turn out to be a great place, i could spend plenty of time with those 3 alone. by your logic don't expect to find anything other than beggars and lunatics in heaven. :rolleyes:

You tell me, you've yet to present a rational argument either. you're both in the same boat on that feeling i'd think.

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Query, Tekken, let's suppose you're right and Hillbilly is wrong. Surely there was a time in the past when Angelina and Bill Gates and so on did something morally bad. Surely you'll grant that assumption. Given that starting place, how many good deeds did it take for each of them to make up for their own bad deeds? And how were the bad deeds measured? Was it measured by the number of people hurt, perhaps? Or the severity of criminal or civil punishment? And how were the good deeds measured? Dollars, maybe? Number of meals provided? Number of shirts or shoes provided? Number of medicine pills? What?

I just want to know the system that you're advocating. Maybe I'll be able to meet your standard.

13. hillbilly79

Do you have a problem with beggars? (Just kidding.)

I will not "embrace" the idea that I am wrong. Does it ever cross my mind that I have chosen the wrong one-way-to-heaven? Absolutely. Has it crossed my mind many times during the past week in keeping up with this thread? You better believe it. People, including yourself, have posted up some good reasoning on why I should not believe what I do. But when I start to second guess things (by the way I think that is Satan causing me to second guess or my own selfish desires, either one) I think back to the day of my conversion and realize that yes, I did make the right decision. If I were to comprise on this I would be letting God down by not proclaiming the truths in the Bible.

Please explain about your last comment on us both being in the same boat.

14. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

Not really...
    The beliefs I have no rational grounds for, not a lot depends on them.
    If they were proved wrong then I'd be a bit disappointed because I liked them, but I'd be able to adapt to my new world view fairly easily.

15. mojo shorin-ryu

mojo shorin-ryu Valued Member

well lately ive been playing the franks, because o ftheir awesome infantry. And their paladins which are recruited from a monestary which requires a christian church so HA! but thats only in one settlement, the rest of the settlements i have been building pagan gods cause the population is all pagan and i dont want revolts. how ever in my western roman empire campaign theyre about 90% christian and growing. so ha!....how ever in regular rome im Selucid empire and they are 100% pagan becasue there is no Christian option.

16. WatchfulAbyss

Yes......

Doesn't matter, that just means they aren't a good christian. Which honestly, I was meaning to ask, do you think there are christians in hell? Honest question, not loaded.

I really don't know.

What, like they claim to believe there is a god and that jesus is his son, but are lying? :D

We are arguing something for no apparent reason aren't we... I mean why is this something either of is even taking the time for. lol.... It's kinda funny when you think about it... :D

17. WatchfulAbyss

It is exactly 3.2 good deeds to make up for one bad one.... Just thought I would clear that up................... :D

18. mojo shorin-ryu

mojo shorin-ryu Valued Member

God makes Himself known to the oenes who want to know him in their hearts

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

If you're speaking of someone who is a Christian when he dies, how could you even ask the question? :eek: It's obviously a contradiction. I know you're smarter than that. I've seen your posts.

Are you really asking whether someone who is a Christian on day 1 could lose that status and be a non-Christian on day 2 ?

Oh, okay.
    Where could I find the list of good and bad deeds?
    I'm tracing this one. I want to know the standard, so that I can know if I'm meeting it.

20. WatchfulAbyss

No no, I mean someone who believed in god, excepted that jesus is his son, even thought his teachings were good. But still never really added up to the standards, or maybe god and jesus feel they have done too little too late. Maybe thay decide to hell with you, literally.

I have seen people say that without works, the belief itself, isn't enough. If that is the case, maybe God wouldn't be as lenient as people think. Basically, being a christian by itself, isn't enough, at least having the tittle of being a christian. Maybe your heart wasn't in it.

I mean the tittle christian doesn't really mean you are a good person, maybe it also doesn't mean you go to heaven, atleast without being a good person as well. The way I see it, it's rather easy to get coined as christian, but not see easy to be a good one.