The case for arresting the Pope

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CosmicFish, Apr 11, 2010.

1. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

2. embra

embra Valued Member

Difficult to tell.

The Catholic Church is definately in sever dificulty now.

If Dawkins pulls this off - or the Papocracy cancel the visit, then Id say all religions had best watch out, 'cos a new Sherriff is pulling into town, called Dr. Science.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I think the main issue would be depoliticising the whole thing.

Plus, if it does go down there will be a fairly sizable chunk of the Earth's population that will orchestrate some kind of backlash. Will be interesting for sure

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

as if... this has about a snowflakes chance in hell of happening. Wake up people.

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

HELL .....snow >>>>> OMG ... Slip has discovered religion !!!:woo:

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

PLUS isn't Asif a muslim name.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The Pope is a head of state, so he might carry diplomatic immunity with him, so unless you think the Swiss Guard are going to do it or, for that matter, permit it, I can't see it happening.

EDIT: Scratch that, apparently heads of state do not have diplomatic immunity.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  8. Llamageddon

Apparently He may not be considered a head of state as there is debate on whether or not the Vatican is itself a state.

9. holyheadjch

What debate? I thought it was quite widely recognised.

10. Llamageddon

11. embra

embra Valued Member

The Daily ToryGraph is not quite the facsist rag that it once was. In general the content is a lot more balanced than it used to be in Mrs T's time.

Rabid nationalist fascism is well handled by the Daily Mail and the Daily Express.

12. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

I don't know if this is just all talk but if it does happen, then either half of the world would be angry or all religion would be wary. I support Richard Dawkins but i think this is just all talk.

13. holyheadjch

This isn't Pinochet. You'd be arresting the spiritual leader of all Roman Catholics. You'd be angering a billion people and some of those people hold a lot of power. How much would it cost us?

Such unilateral action would be bad for our economy and bad for our image overseas. If the pope has a case to answer let the ICC issue a warrant for his arrest first - at least then, we are only following ICC directives.

14. Llamageddon

QFT

15. Topher

Topher allo!

Bill Maher had a perfect analogy for this issue:
    When the current Pope was in his previous Vatican job as John Paul’s Dick Cheney, he wrote a letter instructing every Catholic bishop to keep the sex abuse of minors secret until the statute of limitations ran out.

But just remember one thing. If the Pope was – instead of a religious figure – merely the CEO of a nationwide chain of day care centers, where thousands of employees had been caught molesting kids and then covering it up, he’d be arrested faster than you can say, “Who wants to touch Mr. Wiggles?”​

He's right. If the Pope was anyone else, he'd be in jail. Period.

16. holyheadjch

But he's not anyone else. Period.

If the ICC investigates and decided that there is a case to answer, fine, he should be held to account before a court of law. But that hasn't happened yet.

If the Pope was anyone else, Dawkins wouldn't care.

17. Topher

Topher allo!

But's that's not a reason for why he ought to be above the law.

Someone should get the ball rolling... ;)

True.

18. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Isn't this about the same as the plans to get Blair and Bush arrested for war crimes ?
    Because that went to plan didn't it.

19. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Hah! I love that this idea is even getting thrown around. Best of luck to you guys over in the UK...you'll get a lot of respect from me if this goes through.

20. embra

embra Valued Member

Dawkins definately has his own agenda and I doubt whether it is the safety of children.