the boat :)

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by tel, Apr 9, 2007.

1. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

i was talking to a kf friend of mine, and he used the bruce lee quote about crossing the river.
    he said kf people are getting a cross the river, but not being able to use it once they got off the boat. ( he was talking about him, not kf in general).
    i said well the jkd people are still on the boat arguing about what the boat is called.
    just my thoughts

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  2. mrmonday

mrmonday New Member

That's very true, and also a very clever way of putting it. Having done JKD for about a year after transferring from Shaolin KF, I've noticed that a lot of JKD "Masters" are bickering constantly over what the "essence" of JKD is. It seems that many have forgotten the "formlessness" principles taught by Bruce Lee, and also his disdain for anything which would define JKD.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Just as a sidenote, that's a pretty shady generalization about Kung Fu.

4. tel

wasn't meant to be a great piece on kf, happy to have that discussion, on the kf part of forum. its was more on the jkd bit, hence in the jkd part of the forum.

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

to many people arguing about "do it this way" to be true to bruce, while others are saying " it's has to be done that way" by others, so your analogy is point on tel, IMO

6. Yohan

No worries man!! :D

We've had the discussion time and time again. Carry on!

7. Yohan

Isn't the whole point of JKD to do it the way that works best for you?

8. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

excatly, quit arguing and train :D

not directed at you two ;)

9. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Look guys at the end of the day your either a "Yes Man or Your Own Man", thats are choices.....Everyone that train with Bruce Lee has a slightly different approach to Jeet Kune Do and how they teach it, but they all have something in common.......Which is......The JKD structure (On-Gurad)/Five Ways of Attack/Distance-Timing-Rhythm/Awareness/Simple-Direct-Non Classical.... :bang:

A good teach points you in the direction you need, nothing more-nothing less....It has nothing to do with the guy or ladie standing next to you.....Jeet Kune Do is "About You" , not Bruce Lee, not your teacher, or teachers-teacher and/or group you represent.....I'll end with this "We All Aren't Getting Any Younger, What Are You Waiting For, Train Hard and Smart"... :)

10. Yohan

But but but . . . he's talking trash about kung fu! ;)

11. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

but he is uneducated on the southern states fu :D

12. tel

again, where did i say kf is trash? 'its not the point, but i spent 10 years training and teaching northern and southern gung fu. i know a little about kf.not loads and loads, just a little

i was saying some jkd people worry about the name too much.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  13. tel

lol. true, i don't even know where they begin :)

14. Yohan

Just joshing!

15. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

they began in the back woods, were cousins marry cousins

just kidding yohan, well not really :eek: :D

16. tel

cool fair enough.

g- bells, i would train, but its easter monday and everything is closed, and its dark outside :bang: :D

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

tel- just head off to a coffe shop and beat up on some chavs, good training , make you strong :D

18. tel

ah you should of posted that idea earlier, i was at one when it was open, there's always tomorrow

19. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

LMAO