The best workout routine you will ever hear in your life

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Timmy Boy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

People who have been lifting weights wrong for a long time often get some funny ideas entrenched in their brains and come to believe that they are experts.

New housemate has been lifting for years and apparently has a 120kg bench press. Fair play. But for everything else, hmm...

I have been advised that my routine (Starting Strength) is wrong for the following reasons:

* A 130kg deadlift is FAR too heavy. My back can't take it!
    * I shouldn't be doing sets of 5 with a heavy weight. I will injure myself. The safer way is to use a lighter weight to failure, because when my technique eventually breaks down, I won't injure myself because the weight is lighter.
    * Squats are fine as long as you don't go below parallel.
    * He only squats 80kg because he DOESN'T WANT TO HAVE AN UNEVEN PHYSIQUE.

So there you have it guys. Olympic weightlifters and powerlifters (especially Mark Rippetoe, it seems) do not know what they are talking about. I hope you all find this post helpful!

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Oh wow.

Timmy, I think your housemate broke all world records for health and fitness stupidity.

He doesn't go to Globo Gym, does he? :D

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Move. Out. Now!!!!!

Oh deary me, so much ignorance, and so little clue! :bang:

4. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Shoot him. I'll testify it was self-defense.

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Damn, best stop squatting, don't want to have an unbalanced physique.

I mean legs that match my upperboddy? How up unbalanced, best make them tiny so it's balanced.

balanced

balance

6. seiken steve

Bet this guy got no where in physique sports.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=toNejTE6Omc[/ame]

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Haha, love the spotter behind Ronnie. What was he going to do, curl Ronnie and 800lbs?

8. seiken steve

I heard ronnie Coleman can curl ronnie Coleman plus 800lb

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Still not as much as Chuck Norris.

10. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Damn i cant even look at 800 pounds without getting dizzy!

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I gotta be honest, I read the first point and thought "is there some context I'm missing, does the OP have a back injury?".

Then I read the second bit and my face was like this:

[​IMG]

I fell about laughing at this bit, oh lawdy I needed this :p

Well I'm glad he's there to advise the world on good weight lifting routines #needsmoresarcasm.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

to be fair the depth Ronnie hits on those squats having the big guy behind spotting on his own is probably better than asking the trainer Dobson to pick up one side as a spotter.
    As long as Ronnie stayed with the lift the centre spotter would do his job fine

13. Timmy Boy

The great irony here is that this guy is a professional bodyguard. I would have thought he would prioritise functional strength for that reason alone!

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

NOOOOOOOOOO not again

god damn it

15. Timmy Boy

Something I'm missing? :)

EDIT: I read through some other threads and I think I see where you are going with this, i.e. any strength gain is "functional" to a degree, therefore it makes no sense to talk about "functional strength", or so the argument goes.

So let's just say this: training for aesthetics (even if you are only interested in the upper body) will obviously provide some strength benefits as a by-product, especially if it's done over the course of several years, hence my housemate's 120kg bench press. However, I would expect someone who had to rely on their strength as part of their job (and, indeed, for survival) to (1) prioritise strength over aesthetics and (2) carry out a bit more research on the topic.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I would also expect your house mate to understand the nature of his role which probably relies less on strength and more on looking threatening and understanding social scenarios leading to conflict.

Also guns because guns are cool

17. Timmy Boy

I'm sure it does, but unarmed fighting is still part of it.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not as much as you might think actually

19. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Yet I'm still quite sure that giving housemates bad advice isn't in the contract. :D

20. Timmy Boy

Well he certainly trains in fighting techniques for it and even teaches other bodyguards...