the benefits of skipping???

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by 10 men, Sep 29, 2005.

1. 10 men

10 men New Member

alrite everyone, im just wondering what are the benifits of skipping i train in muay thai but i know boxers do a lot of skipping and i want to know what the benifits of doing it are? :D

2. James H

James H Valued Member

Helps with co-ordination, general balance and agility plus a good full body cardiovascular workout.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

same as what James H said.

Skipping is a nice alternative to running at times. It can be done either aerobically or anaerobically. Seeing as how boxing and MT are roughly 70% anaerobic... that's probably how your want approach your skipping.

Probably most importantly, skipping breaks down the ego.

How so?!
    Because you have to look like a complete jackass that isn't even as coordinated as a 4th grade girl when you first start learning how to jump.... when you first start out you will not look like Muhamad Ali... you will look like a total fool... little girls with laugh at you! There will be no 'Eye of the Tiger' playing in the background... just the giggles of everyone watching you trip over your wascally widdle jump rope.:eek:

BWHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! :D

But not to fear... stick with it and soon you will have a rhythm down and be able to start working towards some of the more cooridination-required movements. 4th grade girls watch out! :D

4. TNT Tommy

TNT Tommy New Member

ROTFLMAO @ slipthejab :D

but seriously it's a great workout for coordination and for your cardiovascular system.

TNT Tommy :woo:

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you dont skip in muay thai?

6. 10 men

10 men New Member

iv started skipping but we dont do it at our gym, so i bought a good skipping rope and iv started doing it and ye you do look like a total fool when u first start :D lol

7. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

8. Pyro

Pyro New Member

I think one of the added bonuses of skipping to running is the footwork you can incorporate. It really helps to make you light on your feet and with drills and interval training (mixes of aerobic and anerobic periods) it makes for an insane workout with added benefits that you wont get just running alone.

9. dexxl

dexxl New Member

wow, i was just about ask this in a new thread..
    i also bought a skipping rope and am jumpin like an idiot.
    i hate running and am going to use skipping to get fit instead of
    going for a run. i hate running, grrr i hate running

10. Juego Todo

You'll love it once you get the hang of it. It's like riding a bike or swimming: nce you learn, you'll never forget.

Don't forget to play your fave upbeat CD...it should help to get you in the mood and it might help to distract you from giving up ;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  11. Juego Todo

Seriously, that is so true! Lose weight, tone up, develop rhythm, light feet...everything you said and much more :)

Caution: When you get to the point of skipping like you're doing the River Dance, you might want to alter your routine a wee bit :D

12. ecosys

ecosys New Member

I skip at boxing and at jkd training but I only just got a new speed rope yesterday. It's awesome fun (am i sad?) and has really developed my footwork. I'm going to have to look for other things to do with my feet while i'm doing it though =)

13. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Skipping is like sparring, heavy bags, and shadowboxing..

If you're not doing it, you're an idiot... :D

14. Andy Defuson

Andy Defuson Banned Banned

Skipping rope is consider to be best warm up in muay thai. Actually it is a full body workout.

It is really beneficial for improving stamina, Strengthen leg muscles

Grond likes this.
  15. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I could not agree more. Another thing jumping rope does is help train your whole body coordination specific to your mass. Big people will have a harder time keeping a fast pace, but over time will adapt. Smaller people can skip faster but with that will come a need for better coordination.

In the end it all comes together, and if done right your lower half will iron up, breath control will relax, and if you've developed some post holiday pudge like yours truly, pounds will just shed.