The Beginning of a new tradition

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by CandyCaneShinai, May 1, 2007.

1. CandyCaneShinai

CandyCaneShinai Valued Member

This year, and every year from now on, at the request of the related clergy, the Togakure Ryu (Bujinkan) will perform an embu at the Togakushi Shrine.
    Soke and the Shihan and as many of us as can fit on the bus will travel to the shrine from Noda. We will leave early in the AM and return that same night.
    (Since it is on a Sunday and all of the Shihan will be there, there will be no classes.)
    I don't know if it will be videotaped, I don't know what all will happen, but I know it will be exciting. Talk about the mother of all photo opportunities.

I do not know exactly what kind of embu will be performed, but I know this: I gotta get my ass in shape. The Togakushi Shrine is built at the top of a mountain that has NO vehicle access for 1 mile.
    1 mile may not sound like much, but I have done this little walk before. It is a steep incline, root-strewn, tree-lined path at higher altitude.
    The shrine road was made intentionally long and difficult. The purpose is to tire out the pilgrim and make him weak and open to miracles.

2. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Do you know the expected date for this adventure? Would be interesting to check out.

3. CandyCaneShinai

I heard Sunday, September 23. (Of course, things can change...)

4. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

That will be a pretty amazing event. With regard to the embu itself, will it be done at the Chusha or the Okusha? I'm guessing the Okusha based on the fact you mentioned the long road.

Tired? Check.

Weak? Check.

Open to miracles? Damn, knew I forgot something!

Seriously though, the whole area is amazing. More people should make the effort to get up there.

5. CandyCaneShinai

That is about all the information anybody has at this point. I will do my best to provide any updates that I hear. I think pretty much all that will happen regarding this event for the next 4 months will be people practicing their parts of the embu.
    Being as it will be, the first time, I imagine everyone will want to do their best...

6. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Excellent news, i'll be in Japan then as well, please keep the info coming CCS

7. CandyCaneShinai

8. Uke Andy

Uke Andy Valued Member

Yeah that sounds great, keep us informed. I think I will just miss out on this one. I'll be back in Tokyo about a week later, damn.

9. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Same here :D

10. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

If all goes as planned, I'll be living in Japan again at that time as well. Sounds like we could have ourselves a bit of an informal MAP meetup and get a great show in at that!

11. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

You're not going to Japan this September, stop telling fibs!

12. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

ok, next september then :D

13. raitei

raitei Valued Member

We'll have to have that second pint together at Coco's (and maybe a few after that). Trust me, we'll need a few after the hike up Togakushi Mt.

14. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

I'll remember you said that, i'll make sure i won't have the car!!!!! :D :D

15. kuoshu

kuoshu Valued Member

Didn't the clergy at the shrine ask to see proof of a historic link between the shrine and the ryuha?

16. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

whats that got to do with you???

17. kuoshu

kuoshu Valued Member

Well it's just a question!

After all, the Katori shrine in Japan is satisfied that what the Katori Shinto Ryu demonstrates at the shrine is really historically connected to the shrine. Just wondering if the Togakushi priests feel the same way.

18. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Ok drop it now!

There are already threads in existence for this subject. Do not go a derailing every other thread in the forum.

I expect to see this subject contained to the relevant existing threads. Any more posts like the one above will be deleted.

19. kuoshu

kuoshu Valued Member

Why? what is there to hide?

20. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Anyone watch city lights? whats the name of the fat guys character Wayne something?? :rolleyes: