The beat up body, training and how you deal with it thread

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Frodocious, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

My God, man. There were more double entendres in there than Mitch could throw out in a week!

On another note I have many little pains and so on that are persistent. I'm going to get my **** in gear soon and go for another sports massage, but until then I think I'm going to try out these balls and pnf doohickies

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I tried the small foam roller on my lats during my warmup at the gym last night and felt it really helped

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

As well as a lot of dirty jokes there is some golden advice in there!
    Taking the pair of balls idea off you.
    What was the course? I'm loving them too, I've also noticed some hypertrophy in the hammies, thinking there may be a connection. keep meaning to ask VZ about it.

4. righty

righty Valued Member

Smaller injuries are really peeving me off at the moment. Just enough to be cautious and lay off training for a few days to see how things are going after the weekend.

But why the hell is it that if I do something during class and think "well that's going to hurt tomorrow" it's generally fine the next day, or at least clears up within a few days.

Seems like lately I have no idea where all my hurts are coming from. They are just there, and won't go away. I have absolutely no idea how I hurt my shoulder. I have no idea how I hurt my ribs. At least if I did it would give me a clue as to what is going on and I would know what not to do next time.

Now I'm off to have a hot bath.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  5. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Well, I did my knee again at judo last Thursday. That makes 2 knee injuries, a back injury, a recurring rib injury and a recurring shoulder injury. As much as I love it, to stay high level is seriously hard on the body and even at the (relatively) young age of 30 I seem to always have something wrong with me. Perhaps it's time to get back into boxing or something relatively low impact compared to judo. Hell, maybe I'll finally take up fencing!

6. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Torn MCL and meniscus on my right knee that flares up from time to time. Two broken pinky toes courtesy of newaza. Constantly respraining them even if I tape them. Occasional keylock on my right arm will cause my right shoulder to flare up, thanks to an old football injury. Being fairly new to Muay Thai my shins/instep are sore/swollen from hitting pads/bags.

How do I deal, long hot baths.

7. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Instead of making a new thread I figured I'd bump this thread. Hopefully I can get some input. Was doing some MMA today and I got taken down, my arms were wrapped up and I pretty much landed directly on my right shoulder. I felt a jolt of pain run through my shoulder and had to stop. I sat out the rest of class, luckily I still have a full ROM in my shoulder but there is too much pain to lift any weight or make any quick movements with my arm. Currently I am icing it, got some fish oil pills and my coach suggested I get some Glycosemine(sp?).

Anyone know what can be done in aiding recovery? I will be icing it but I was wondering more on the side of stretches or movements. Should I be doing stretches or dynamic movements or just let the shoulder heal up? I HATE to break routine so I want to get back to training ASAP but obviously I'm not going to rush it.

8. righty

righty Valued Member

Where on the shoulder is the pain and where was the impact?
    Was the sudden pain just on the area on impact or did it shoot elseware?
    Is there any noticeable deformation on any part of your shoulder?

9. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I'd say directly on the side of my shoulder. So my 3 o clock. I feel stiffness in my neck, probably coming from my trap that feels tight and also hurts a bit. The pain is towards the front of my shoulder( or right above and to the front of the dimple of the deltoid)if I try to push weight like in a bench press or a front raise.

Edit. Didn't specify. The landing was directly on the 3 o clock side of my shoulder.

Edit again. Upon further investigation I am feeling a knot where my trap connects to my deltoid.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  10. righty

righty Valued Member

I'm not a doctor nor do I play on on TV, but it sounds like you have an AC joint injury. If there's not huge amount of swelling or visible deformation (like your clavicle is out of place) then it's unlikely to be serious. This is also called a shoulder separation or separated shoulder if you want to look it up further. I've done both my shoulders now.

You'll probably find movements across your body (such as reaching for the opposite shoulder) or anything above the head will be particularly painful.

Keep doing what you are doing. The pills probably won't do much for an acute injury but they won't hurt either. Keep up the ice.

Other than that as with any injury let the pain be a guide. If something hurts then don't do it. If you are worried or it still hurts as much in a day or two, go and see a medical professional.

11. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

From the looks of it there is no deformation or swelling. Just the knot on my trap. Lowering my shoulder like a negative shrug causes some pain and tightness as well as lifting like I said before. I hope it's nothing too serious seeing as I am a righty, and as a carpenter I need to be able to use my right arm =\. I guess it's time to become ambidextrous because I'm sure I won't be able to hammer poop with my Right arm tomorrow.

How did you deal with your shoulder injuries and how long did it rake you to recover? I have a pankration fight in 7 weeks I hope I won't have to bail on it.

12. righty

righty Valued Member

Mine were only minor. But darn they hurt, particularly in the first 24 hours. They hurt much more than other and more serious injuries I have had and doctor told me these are generally quite a painful injury, even though structurally not much can be wrong.

Dealing with mine was really just rest and avoiding anything that hurt. I was back to light MA training in a week and mostly normal within 2 weeks - although there were a few specific things I avoided in training for a bit longer that I knew would cause issues. I also avoided chest/shoulder weights for as long as they caused pain/discomfort.

So if yours is anything like mine I wouldn't be worried about 7 weeks.

13. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I hear that. I've broken toes on both feet while rolling and neither hurt as much as this lol.

I just started the 2day 531 routine so I'm guessing I'll have to stay away from heavy lifts. My next day was going to be squats but I don't think I'll have enough stability in my shoulder to squat correctly or heavy. Perhaps I'll stick to machines for now and away from compound movements.

14. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Well some bad news. Yesterday the pain was bearable, but today I can't hit the full ROM without feeling a lot of pain. I can barely hold my arms own weight. I'm guessing it means I strained/tore a legament or tendin. It even hurts to walk since the slightest shift of weight in my arm hurts, I'm going to have to get a sling. Unfortunately I can't work like this, hopefully this injury doesn't set me back for too long. I will be making a doctors appointment asap

15. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Hope it gets better soon chief. I dislocated my right shoulder 1 1/2 years ago at work, and it was seriously painful, coupled with it happening the day before i moved house (some people said i did it deliberately :D), and it wasnt good. Its always at the back of my mind that it can come out again when im training, hope the injury isnt to serious!

16. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Just been nutted, split my eyebrow.

Life goes on.

17. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Righty called it. Stage 1 AC separation. Doc says 2-3 weeks in a sling and hopefully 5-6 for a return of full ROM without pain. I just gotta keep my shoulder loose.