The base of your art?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by morphus, Dec 20, 2003.

1. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I feel there is a base technique to the art i study.CKD.
    The stance we use is this base, if you don't get the stance correct you cannot perform any of the other techniques to their full potential.

So, what is the base technique of your art, does it even have a base tech that makes the others work?

Or what is the main reason your art works for you?:)

2. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

I think that my style (mok ka) works well partly due to the base stance, but mainly because it encourages students to adapt the techniques and strategies to their own personal style. A lot of classes I encounter creates "drones," students who all fight identically to each other.

3. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

The basic stance and movements of all the Arts are the stances and mudra of Buddhism and vedic traditions.

4. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Um, no, not every martial art derives its stances from buddhism. Some likely do, but making such a broad generalization when many martial arts weren't even developed with buddhism even slightly in mind, is simply incorrect. Anyways, JKD is based LARGELY on footwork and stance. We apply footwork to attacks to increase their striking power greatly, and even in close quarters this can be done with small steps. So long as one is in fact standing, footwork can be applied to an attack. I love using footwork to empower attacks, but conversely, I also hate groundfighting sooo much because I don't get to do this on the ground. I think you'll find most everyone saying their stance and movement is the "base technique" that makes all others work, because thats what they're supposed to do to begin with, with the exception of groundfighting. And even then, their positioning and movement is important, they just don't work out of a stance as much.

5. morphus

morphus Doobrey

OK - Let me put the question a slightly different way -
    What lies at the heart of your art for YOU, personally & mentally & physically?

6. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Maybe for Oriental arts, but not for Eurpoean.

The base of the Russian arts, or at least Systema are the core principles of correct breathing, good posture, correct movement and relaxation. The spiritual base is the Orthodox church.

7. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

Frank

There are two well documented basic origins for all major Martial Arts. (1) The movement, stances and mudra of Buddhism. Read Budhisatva Warriors by Shifu Nagaboshi Tomio. This is well documented by him and others in China and the west. Martial Arts basically came from the Buddhist and Taoist Temple meditative and physical disaplines. All major Martial Arts evolved from these forms. (2) The primative animals forms from Vedic, Buddhist and Chinese traditions. Both of these sources can be traced and documented far older than any Martial Art school, style or form. Taoist forms drew more influence from the older Chinese traditional animal forms.

These forms were adapted by the military over the years in the orient, where the stances became more combat oriented, but their origins can also still be traced.

The origins of Japanese, Korean and Okinawan Arts are easily also traced, but have more northern origins than most Chinese Arts.

8. Fist Of Legend

Fist Of Legend New Member

In my art, Pencak Silat Harimau, our base is our physique of our legs.

9. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

My answer basically remains the same. I'll reword it a little. The Buddhist, Taoist and the earliest primative traditions of the primal religions of the Orient. For many in the west who practice the Arts are not comfortable approaching the disaplines from that perspective, but the heart and the origins of the Arts are indeed in the eastern religious traditions of the Orient. They were temple Arts long before they were Martial Arts.

10. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I think trying to identify a single technqiue or aspect of an art as it's base is a flaw approach. Instead I think you need to look to the philosophy and doctrine of the art. They dictate the approaches that the art will take and therefore the techniques they will use.

- Matt

11. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I think the solid stance helps me in Lau Gar. It gives you a lot of weapons being quite open.

12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

The base of my art is non-attachment

13. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

body mechanics.

14. kungfuprincess7

kungfuprincess7 New Member

i would have to agree partly ... body mechanics. Though it cant stand alone

Kung Fu Princess

15. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

i can't really answer this without saying that just doing one thing right is more important than doing hundreds of things badly.
    the legs are what you stand on so in my thinking, that is the base.

16. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

mobility

17. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Mental strength through flexibility. Commitment to do what has to be done when it has to be done, if at all.

18. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

shunyadragon,
    the world is a big place and they all have their way of fighting. when man came out of the cave grabbed a stick and hit the other guy with it was the base of martial arts, and buddism had nothing to do with. if you are soley speaking of asian ma then your point may be valid.

19. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

My point was that there is spotty evidence that many primative peoples practiced various disiplines were common all over the world, but what we inherited was the Oriental Arts of the Way. The origins of these Arts are well documented.

I think it is demeaning to site the origins of the Arts of the Way as violence between early humans hiting each other with sticks, stones and the jaw bone of the ass.

To be considered Arts of the Ways you have to have codes of conduct, the Vedic Codes of Combat were the first. Disciplines, forms and meditation handed down over generations. It was in China and India the the traditions were perserved and well documented going back to the Stone Age.

An interesting thing found on the Stone Age man found in the Italian Alps was accupuncture points tattooed on his legs.

20. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Shunydragon. Maybe u need rules in an "art" but not in combat. Take any martial arts (not martial sport).They may hae rules how to conduct ones self b4 and after a fight. BUt during there are n rules.

I'm not sure which u ment.Rules during or b4/after a fight.

Yes.The accupuncture points were to relieve the feeling of teh cold and relive pain. It is fought that europeans had accupuncture to (altho not as complex ro good as chinese)