The Art Of Expressing The Human Body

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by BlindClown, May 15, 2008.

1. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

I have just got this book and read about halfway through

Basically its a bruce lee book ( yes anotther one )

This one is about his training schedules , gives you step by step training and weightlifing schedules he did , its very good im going to employe some the techniques within this book to build up my own training regim

Just wondering if anyone else has read this book or come across it and found it helpful or not .

2. Motd

Motd Valued Member

I have the book, it's pretty good. I some of the things from the book in my training.

3. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

what do u use, im thinking about gettin a power rack so i can utilise the isometric training stuff.

4. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

Has the book been updated at all? I certainly don't want to belittle Bruce Lee but sports science has moved on since his day and some of the exercises he did, or the way he did them were peraps not the best ideas. Just a thought.

5. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

he did hurt his back doing a lower back exercise improperly.

6. arnuld

arnuld Valued Member

Now thats really funny. I think thousands of years ago, man has 2 legs and 2 arms and he still has 2 legs and 2 arms but science has changed since then

sorry, couldn't resist :p

7. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

Yeah I take your point and it does sound kinda strange I know but while the human body is pretty similar to how its been for the last however many generations what we know about how it works and how to make it work better how changed, and without doubt Bruce was pushing himself way too hard at times. I admire the mans acheivments but he wasnt the last word in training.

And sorry if it sounds like I was taking your comment waaaay too seriously :)

8. arnuld

arnuld Valued Member

Bruce Lee defied Media Sciences. He made his body adaptable to far beyond what Medical Sciences say. There are only 2 people who stretched their muscles beyond scientific-beliefs: Bruce Lee and Dr. Ramdev. One used Martial-Arts and other uses Yog to explore the human body and both are related to the fundamental understanding of the physical structure of human-body and use of this understanding is highly coupled with abstract thoughts of brain, in Martial-Arts we call it Zen and in Yog we call it Meditation.

Do you see the pattern ?

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  9. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

Yep and he suffered for it and of course lived to the ripe old age of 33 :rolleyes:

10. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

By the way whats a media science?

11. arnuld

arnuld Valued Member

He died because of may factors: Sleeplessness, Drugs and Overwork.

12. arnuld

arnuld Valued Member

Ah.. I missed the c before a and l after a :p . Actually all of my X applications have forgotten their native key-bindings and started accepting only Emacs bindings. I am looking for solution to this problem.

13. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

you're entitled to believe whatever you like but I still stand by the point I originally made, Bruce Lees methods for fitness and conditioning were not that great or all that advanced and in some cases were not conducive to a healthy life long term. That dosn't detract from what he did achieve, its just a shame we didn't have him for longer. I'd love to hear from some high ranked JKD instructors on how the conditioning they use and teach compares to what we now of Mr Lees methods.

14. UtahSaintz

UtahSaintz Valued Member

Bruce Lee had an incredibly fit, muscular and healthy physique. He was strong as hell, moved like grease lightning, and at one time had a recorded heart rate of 18 beats/minute. I'd say his methods for fitness and confitioning were THAT great, and MOST DEFINITELY supportive of a healthy, prolonged life. No research or study has ever suggested he died due to the long-term after-effects of his workout regimes, which is as unfounded as claims that he was simply poisoned (which actually has much more research credibility than the former, come to think of it, hmm).

You mean these guys?
    [ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8PqBiclhajI[/ame]
    or...
    [ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_o9RBBQhJVg&feature=related[/ame]

Yeah, they are certainly more 'in-the-know' when it comes to health and fitness than Bruce Lee was. Wow, today's training really excels against what Bruce was doing back in the day, just look at their rock hard abs:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  15. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

I really don't see anything in those videos that comments on training for fitness. As for you mocking Mo Teague for not being the same body shape as Bruce Lee? Thats as funny as me laughing at Geoff Thompson for being bald!

16. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Man, I wish this thread was somewhere in the H&F section since it's totally rife with bogus information and B.S.

The human body is an insanely complex set of interdependent systems that one could never hope to understand thoroughly in a lifetime of study, and many of the recent advances in science have revolutionized sports training for the better, which says nothing about the advances in sports science over thousands of years.

What "isometric" stuff do you need a power rack for?? :confused::confused:

First off, it's Yoga, not Yog.

If you really want to claim that Bruce Lee was even one of the top 3 most flexible people in the world, you need to post some references, because that's sounding like B.S. As for the rest of your post, it's pseudo-metaphysical B.S.. You need to read up on Zen and Meditation, because you have NO CLUE what either of those words mean. I can tell from the context of your post.

Sources??

There are out of shape instructors in every art. Lamar Davis doesn't look that out of shape. Look at Inosanto. Look at my coach.

17. UtahSaintz

UtahSaintz Valued Member

Don't worry, I think they're both funny.

Missing the point much?

18. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

19. UtahSaintz

UtahSaintz Valued Member

20. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

Oh perleezzze! :rolleyes: