The art of cooking.

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Sekaralas, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Sekaralas

Sekaralas New Member

I followed recipes for many years as I learned to cook. Now I can cook my own dishes. If I feel like susi, I cut sushi. If I want dimsum, I boil the meat and cabbage, add the herbs and spices and roll my own pastry. Sambel kecap, not a problem, sega gudheg ... ya, my closest approximation, but it is nourishing and helps me to stay alive ... but I still browse recipes.

In each of us, the measure of our silat is unique to who we are in total.
    We are not really PD, Gayong, Kuntao, Serak, Kyokushinkai, Cimande, Haqq Melayu, Aikido, Tonglong or Bagua. We are people who search for guiding principles to use your body to move in certain ways to achieve specific outcomes. Like in cooking, we follow recipes until we can invent spontaneously ... and sometimes what looks like a brilliant recipe fails to nourish.

Does your cooking work for you?
    And when do we stop exploring recipes?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I honestly wish I could cook more, but my wife took over that when we got married, and Ive grown lazy in the kitchen. I used to cook with style and flair, often making the recipes up as I went along, yet the end result was always delicious....

ahhh the memories :D

3. Sekaralas

Sekaralas New Member

Whereas my wife expects me to cook! My boys on the other hand have been totally corrupted by this wanton civilisation and prefer fish and chips ... along with PS2 :eek: .
    Fish and chips is a lot like Xingyi ... no frills and straight to the point.
    SilatPupil, you could insist on balancing the yin and yang in the kitchen and create a complementary male perspective to the cooking in your home.

Tell me, does an Irishman marinade his rissoles in Worcestershire sauce? :D

4. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

Haha you guys have wives. I cook. But right now i dont have a kitchen...All I have is a fridge and a microwave so my options are limited.

5. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

I cook . I must admit the george foreman grill is the most effecient means of silat cooking...My wife is haitian and I love asian food so we use a lot of spices and herbs to make some strange mixes but in the end it taste great. We keep things simple lots of green veggies, Curry dishes with various meats and pistachio nuts, salmon, Chicken, Steaks, Hamburgers.

peace

Silatyogi