The 'all star' martial art (bit of fun)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Archibald, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I thought it'd be a bit of good fun to name every martial arts defining contribution to the world of combat. It can be based on effectiveness, prettiness or how well it encapsulates/defines a particular art - but each MA only gets one entry! Let's see how many we can get through!

I'll get the ball rolling with boxing and the jab/cross combo AKA the 'ol one two. So simple, so effective and such a veteran of the combat world, it earned it's own nickname.

Next?

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Karate has the front snap kick (Mae geri keage), although it's not unique to karate it's an absolute cornerstone of the art and I think karate really brought the technique to prominence. It's my personal favorite kick by a long shot too!

3. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

That's the idea! Good choice btw

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Taekwondo = spinning hook kick / spinning heel kick / wheel kick.

Humbles anyone who gets hit well with it.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Jeet Kune Do - Stop Hit, to intercept a movement before it's on it's way.

6. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

So how are we going to decide what the best thing is that Muay Thai contributed?

It has so many...

7. Ninja_Lee

Ninja_Lee Valued Member

Muay Thai is synonymous with the low kick! I agree, it's hard to choose just one but I had to throw this out there.

"I fear not the man who knows ten thousand kicks, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Muay Thai has contributed so much that different martial arts styles and rules have been created and/or evolved because of it. Kickboxing evolved from methods devised from both Karate and later Boxing and Muay Thai. K1 Kickboxing is essentially a form of Muay Thai with variations in the rule set. MMA fighters generally train in Muay Thai as their base striking skill set. It's essentially one of the go to arts of modern combat sports today as well as being an extremely high profile and often vicious combat sport by itself.

If I had to pick techniques that stood out then I would say the elbows. Once you've watched a Thai elbow war it's easy to see that it is what sets Muay Thai apart from every other full contact martial art and no other art utilizes it better.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'll fight in full contact karate (inc. Kyokushin) all day long, but elbows?

Screw that, I'm too pretty! :D

10. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Taekwondo

Side piercing kick - it's a show stopper and a TKD fundemental.

Baza

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Karate - gyaku zuki, the rear-hand punch with all the body weight behind it. No other martial art, as far as I know, places so much emphasis on this technique as karate. For competition, drilling, training and kata, you spend a lot of your time repeating the straight rear-hand punch.

12. Rhythmkiller

Is this similair to reverse punch in TKD?

Baza

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No. The TKD punch is similar to the Karate one not the other way round. :)

14. Rhythmkiller

So yes then. :)

Baza

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Rhee Ki Ha said this very same thing at a seminar once. :)

16. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

The real game changer was the judo chop as done by austin powers.:D

17. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I was thinking the same about Muay Thai, it has too many signatures! I'd have to go with the low kick, because it's so synonymous and I feel like it really changed the game in terms of combat sports.

How about Kendo and tai atari (slamming in with the body after a cut) - says everything about the mindset doesn't it?

18. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I think the thigh kick is a real signature technique of muay thai. I think there are few arts that do it that didn't get the inspiration from muay thai and it's the biggest shock to a non-MTer in terms of never encountering anything similar outside MT.

19. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

That's true, it really is the fundamental technique of karate.

20. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

japanese jujitsu: hip throw, leg sweep, or most likely the rear naked choke... EDIT: Were those old wrestling moves first? Not sure...

(Or Rex Kwon Do: "Break the wrist, walk away...")