The 2013 Pancake thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by John Titchen, Feb 8, 2013.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

This is a Public Service Announcement.​

Tuesday 12th February is Shrove Tuesday.

It is time for the 2013 Pancake thread.​

Do you eat pancakes on pancake day? Do you ignore the day? Do you make special primal/paleo pancakes with almond flours and butters or protein powders, or do you let any form of dietary restriction go for the day as you indulge? Are your pancakes savoury or sweet, or do you go for both?

I stick to a fairly basic and traditional recipe:
    1 egg
    1/2 pint milk
    dash of salt
    4 oz plain white flour
    2 oz melted butter or lard

I fry my pancakes in butter or a drizzle of light sunflower or olive oil.

Fillings:
    Sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Lyle's Golden syrup
    Maple syrup (but only if I'm going for ice cream and fruit)

Personally I make a big batch, keep them warm in the oven, and then devour. The pancakes have to be rolled. :) This year there may well be several differently themed batches throughout the day. :evil:

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I always forget.

Reading the OP was a good reminder and then I remembered that my girlfriend is on a super strict diet and I am trying to support her...so looks like I'll be missing it yet again!

Never done the savoury thing, it's just plain wrong. I love Lemon and sugar on 'em or syrup or cream or all at once. :cry:

3. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Since I haven't made pancakes in about a year (funny that), I have started my pancake perfecting powers early and made a batch last night. Unfortunately these ones were a bit thick but luckily eatable.

By pancake day I will have the perfect pancake and have gained 2 stone in weight.

We all have to make sacrifices.

4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Maple syrup...delicious...

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Can't stand 'em.

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

No wonder you have such a ripped figure. :evil:

7. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I look forward to eating a silly amount of pancakes, straight up recipe that mummy uses, with some golden syrup, and maybe one with chocolate spread and banana =D

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

[​IMG]

9. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

No to the savory Pancakes, sweet please, blueberries, golden syrup, cream, maple syrup. I haven't had Pancakes in a couple of years!!! I will have to amend that this year!

10. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

is it wrong to say you can just buy them anytime of year at Asda - i tried maple syrup and white choc, a bit too morish so have to avoid them altogether if i want to be ripped by summer, if there is a summer this year i aim to be totally ready for it :D

11. Kuniku

tbh its not hard to make them any time of year =p
    just call them 'crepes' and it makes you sound posher and its not like you're being naughty on religious grounds (if you're fussed about such things...)

I used to have a friend at uni who we lovingly called our "Pancake Whore" She would go out of an evening and at the end of the night stop by the 24 hour shop, buy pancake ingredients and knock on our front door, she would then make us as many pancakes as we could eat and we'd watch a film, just so she could crash on our sofa because doing all this was much cheaper than getting a taxi back to her house (and often needing to get a taxi back into uni because she had to be in before the buses started in the morning)

Might explain why I put on so much weight at uni . . .

12. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

What!? The English have a day set aside just to eat pancakes? What a brilliant idea, I can even overlook the milk in tea thing for this. Reading this has made me hungry for pancakes! I like mine with double butter and maple syrup, although my friend gave me some wild plum syrup he made, it is delicious. I better get some bacon, no reasonable person would eat pancakes without some bacon, or at least sausage.

13. Kuniku

surely its not just an English thing? its a Christianity thing, surely all Christian's celebrate pancake day?

14. Bozza Bostik

Nope - It's pea soup day here!! hahah....no, it really is.

From wiki:

"In Finland the day is called laskiainen and is generally celebrated by eating green pea soup and a pastry called laskiaispulla (sweet bread filled with whipped cream and jam or almond paste). The celebration often includes sledging."

Laskiaispulla.

[​IMG]

But we still celebrate Shrove Tuesday.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  15. Kuniku

sucks to be you I guess ;op

16. Bozza Bostik

What??? Sledging too!!! ;)

17. Kuniku

seldging has little to do with pancakes sir ;op

18. Bozza Bostik

I'm trying to make myself feel better, ok? Help me...PLEASE!!! :)

I do miss proper oatcakes from Stoke (my hometown). Cheese and Bacon oatcakes...*drooool*

19. Kuniku

if you're sledging with pancakes you've made your pancakes very wrong... lol

Can't say I've ever had oatcakes... don't think we have them here in Colchester =p

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I love all forms of pancake - sweet and savoury, thick and thin, buttermilk, almond flour, normal flour etc.

Pancake day however, usually ends up being the sweet variety with maple syrup and cream or lemon, sugar and butter.

There use to be a fantastic pancake place near us (they did wonderful sweet and savoury varieties and wicked milkshakes, but it shut down several years ago. Needless to say, I was gutted... :cry: