The 103 post derail on the best punch

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Master Betty, May 16, 2011.

1. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Ok I think I'll stop posting before I mention how stupid that is. Oh wait....

2. Master Betty

In which case, get a heavy bag.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

heavy bags are wonky for karate punches. a makiwara is a good complement for a heavy bag, but it's not a beginner's tool either, it's for people who already know how to punch right, to further develop the abstracted biomechanics of a basic straight punch. five minutes of makiwara a day can do wonders for a karateka or taekwondoin if done right, with heavy bag work done on top of it, and for much longer times.

4. Master Betty

I must be missing something but if you're trying to develop power then why would you punch in any other way than a boxer? In which case the bag would be far more useful. I can understand if it's an "art" thing and it looks all nicey nicey etc. but as soon as you're talking about power, there's better ways to punch.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRqfYwhsQdQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRqfYwhsQdQ[/ame]

6. Fish Of Doom

because we don't do boxing? :)

besides, the karate straight punch principles are applicable to curved punches, all you need to do is change the way the legs and hips move so that you have a good kinetic chain from your feet to your fist. the makiwara is a good way to train this basic kinetic chain, whereas heavy bags swing and rotate, making it wonky for that purpose, although they're useful for a lot more things, generally speaking.

7. Master Betty

like hitting a moving target.

8. Fish Of Doom

i prefer sparring, personally :)

9. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I see a lot of BS in Karate as it's practiced and makiwara-like training specifically but Fish is right. The makiwara, when mounted properly and practiced appropriately, basically just encourages good hip action and structure and "pop" from a solid base rather than laying through the target or reaching with your punches. It's a body mechanics drill. A lot more like one-punch-at-a-time teaching mittwork than any kind of bagwork. It's a post that pads back for you.

The end result is pretty much the same action as any straight punch from boxing. They just chamber and keep their backs weirdly straight, that's all. I've fiddled around with it before and it's good stuff. Just really easy to dick up and completely misuse like most things in TMA.

And for the OP, just get a heavy bag if you want tougher striking surfaces. That's what the Thais do and they're about as tough as it gets when it comes to striking.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I think the non-PETA-approved-but-otherwise-appropriate phrase is "because there's more than one way to skin a cat."

11. Master Betty

Yep, there's a right and wrong way. punching like a boxer is the right way. Punching like a karateka is the wrong way.

12. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I see you found the tin opener to the can o worms there betty.

I have to agree though I done karate for sometime and never hit one of them boards just pads, thai pads and heavy bags. I've never hit someone in a long walking stance from the hip either and dropped them but maybe im doing it wrong ;) :evil:

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  13. Master Betty

to be honest, I think it's just Miltov doing what he does best - being contrary for the sake of it. I call a spade a spade.

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Now who's being contrary?

15. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Master Betty,

You said somewhere else you respected Kyokushin because they got rid of the stuff that didn't work and took the stuff that did.

Apparently these guys didn't get the memo

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNzCUDgqXX8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNzCUDgqXX8[/ame]

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

17. Hannibal

Awesome isn't he?

Pete never ceases to impress me

18. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Careful. Some WC and JKD would say that is their "trademark punch"

19. Hannibal

It is a Shukokai technique that Pete does

The physics are universal - "double hip" principle. You can see the same in boxing to an extent, especially in "shovel hooks" and uppercuts.

I have been drilling my guys on it this past week to improve their short range power generation

20. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

In my experience, Kyokushin guys tend to be the most zealous karateka out there about using makiwara.