THAT self defense video...and why it is horrible!

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Hannibal, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

And a Manc.

Poor fella.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Actually. A mate of mine (who is beastly) did bench press someone off whilst under side control. It was hilarious.

axelb likes this.
  3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Well, I believe he is from Hull. Now, I'm not saying HP Lovecraft style fish men, but, well, you know.

I never saw Hannibal and a Deep One at the same time.

Best we say no more in case THEY are wathing.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Oh God, is he from Manc or a Hull? That's like choosing between hell on earth or the hell of the unearthly! Poor fella :D

Simon likes this.
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Born in Manchester, lived in Hull for 6 years

6. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I wasn't going to name it until I'd been, but yeah. They were talking about some sort of sporting programme too. I probably won't bother if the instructors qualify in a weekend.

7. kandi

kandi Valued Member

There's this really really buff newbie in our dojo (a bit of eye candy!) and he is a tank. Most of us in the dojo were intimidated by his size. Until he started sparring - his cardio was poor and he wasn't conditioned to take a punch at all. That was a great lesson for lots of people, me included, that size doesn't mean squat.

In a SD situation, most women are going to be intimidated by size and assume that greater size equals greater danger. I think that instinct is fair enough.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I think its a few weekends, but still.

from reading the website, they're teaching MMA and Thai for people who don't want to compete (they're words not mine) and also teaching some sort of krav plus, for krav schools that want the DL marketing, and non competative MMA/Thai which really looks like a money making scheme making a grab for market share without having to deal with making competative athletes.

But thats just my initial opinion!

9. Whit

Whit Valued Member

The instructor training is a week course which qualifies you as an assistant instructor if i remember right, you then have to go through the black belt qualification which is longer.

The defence lab sports if a combination of a fitness and MMA thing, this sentence really upset me off "THE BEST THAI BOXING PROGRAMME in the World", i have done the combats sports programme and its not the best thai programme in the world it is "A" thai programme if i wanted the best i would go to thailand.

The Krav thing is just Krav Maga but with the multiple opponent drills put in it, its being run through Master Clarke's Krav programme in florida.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2017
  10. Dead_pool

So what does the combat sport programme comprise off?

11. Whit

Whit Valued Member

Its muay thai, still has all the material the programme itself is being run by Javier Gómez , there is also some elements of fitness stuff in there.

12. Dead_pool

does it involve building up to full muay thai sparring, or is it more a fitness/boxercise thing?

13. Whit

Whit Valued Member

I think its more the latter i have not really done it enough to give you a solid answer, my instructor will probably bring it up to the former some will keep it at the latter.

14. Dead_pool

DL Combat Sports - Defence Lab

^ so everyone can read it.

From the page it looks like its online training aimed at school owners to buy into and teach theis combat sport system.

15. Whit

Whit Valued Member

From the looks of its its a combination of the "online university" and in person training. I dont use the online thing i dont like the content.

16. Whit

Whit Valued Member

however i digress as this is off topic to the thread

17. Dead_pool

how does the content differ to the in person training?

18. Whit

Whit Valued Member

The techniques are the same its just some of the content has attempts at humour at it or are slow in delivery when asking a question or breaking down a technique, ie breaking down videos into 2 minute videos, also the basics of the system are not really covered in detail, i see at more of an extension for someone that is already training DL . Then you work it out to cost/time, i am paying for 3 minutes of jokes and silence when the video asks me the viewer a question, im often like... can we just get on with this please?

19. Whit

Whit Valued Member

I just like things to be concise and to the point.

20. Dead_pool

so the videos are unclear and packed with filler.

ill avoid watching them then!