Thai style roundhouse kick?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Taliar, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

I only like the 1st clip. Rodney King really knows his stuff. Even though his MuayThai is geared mainly for MMA/NHB training, his technique is spot on.

In the 2nd two clips, the guy is doing it wrong. His footwork is wrong and he's not rotating properly. The mistakes are VERY OBVIOUS in the 3rd clip which shows the kicks from the rear angle. Compare what he's doing to what Rodney King is talking about in the 1st clip. Watch the angle Rodney King uses when he steps and how he rotates, then watch the 2nd two clips.... Rodney is doing it right, the 2nd guy is doing it wrong.

2. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

The first one is great instruction. The last two were not great examples of proper Thai round kicks.
    The kicker is throwing a roundhouse that's reminiscent of a karate style kick. He's got power, not from the twist of his hips but because his leg is big. The hips are just off.
    The pad holder looks like he's about to smack himself in the face. You really need to catch and push into the kicks. Can't just stand idly. Holding the pads side by side is ok for high head kicks but for lower ones he really needs to pull them apart and maybe wear a belly protector.

Also want to add that as the Thai round kick becomes second nature to you, sometimes you don't have to take the step. For example with the lead left round kick, you can twist your right supporting leg on the balls of your feet in place and kick. Needless to say the twist of the hips is always there.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  3. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

I was wondering a bit about the differences as well. Well done.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah I'd have to agree... he's not opening up his hips and turning his knee, leg and hips over enough in the second two clips. He's trying to kick at the pads... not through the pads. Not the way you want to be going about it if your looking to have good Muay Thai technique.

That being said you still don't want to get caught by it unawares... it could easily KO you because of the size of the guy... but it's not exactly the proper Muay Thai technique if we want to be academic about it.

5. Cool As

Cool As Valued Member

head kick

I've never been very flexible and although I'm able to kick to midsections to a standard i'm reasonably happy with (not going to stop developing it though!), it has taken me a little while...

The thing about head kicks is that I just can get the up swing and down to a height where I can call it a head kick. What sort of stretches are you guys doing to help you with it?

6. Cool As

Cool As Valued Member

I like to use it as a kick equivalent to jabs

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Rodney King "Crazy Monkey" Muay Thai done badly by a guy who has never(probably looking at him) competed in Muay Thai imho :)

8. lpoolmuaythai

lpoolmuaythai Banned Banned

Kicks

Has Anybody Heard About The New Martial Art Goldenbelt Hardcore
    You Can Use All Styles In The 5 Rounds
    1 Boxing
    2 Full Contact
    3 International Rules
    4 Muaythai
    5 Jujitsu Ground Work
    What Do U Think

9. kurupzion

kurupzion Valued Member

i also want to add that although king is right in what he says the whole bit about kicking thru and spinning around shows your back.if you notice when the thais kick even body kicks they wont spin around often as exposure of the back allows the opponent to capitalise and counter.
    the other guy on the video is very bad.like a beginner level of muay thai.not only is he stopping is hip like people have mentioned he is also not bringing his foot back and coming back to guard but hes keeping it in mid air and stopping there.veryu bad technique.then again this was the standard of muay thai i learned when doing mma before being taught very traditional muay thai by a thai.
    also want to agree with above poster.you dont necessarily need to step thru with a kick.you can kick without straight from guard so as to not telegraph with the step.but this is done after being expert in doing standard kicks.similar to what king said about going full power all the time then after a while doing off base still getting power.

10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Cutting through the target is a basic way for begginers to get feel for power,later you have to learn to cut your power after hitting the target,best way to learn this is chok lom(shadow boxing) :)

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Yep - my thoughts exactly. We learn what Rodney is showing in the first clip. My coach goes to Thailand regularly to get his stuff, and we are doing MMA/NHB training. It doesn't matter what kind of training you are doing, a good kick is a good kick, and Rodney is showing a solid kick with good body mechanics. We use his crazy monkey stuff at my school too.

12. chof

chof Valued Member

yea, this guy has the rght idea, but the iimportant part is to have your leg relaxed so the hips lead the leg like a whip for the initial speed kind of like a spinning heel kick but forward and 3/4 through the kick, snap it and rotate your hips as to kick through the target, it takes practice to get the speed, but it comes quick and you know when you have it, remember relax the leg and shift body weight you do not have to push off the ground that is for amateurs, avoid telegraphing, yhis kick is lethal to the nerve under the knee

13. diehigh

diehigh New Member

hey

hey guys, i was wondering what muscle group is involved in throwing the roundhouse kick, and what strength training should i do in order to throw a harder roundhouse kick, so i can do more damage.

14. millasur

millasur New Member

The best way to improve your round kicks is by refining your technique and doing them repeatedly on pads or bag, not by strength training. Start training your kicks if uyou work hard you'll probably see an improvement within a couple of weeks

15. vismitananda

vismitananda Valued Member

Indeed, but you cannot master a simple move in just a week, try doing the basics again, again, and again. In this way, you can master the perfect Thai style roundhouse kick. When I was in the midst of practicing the basics of Muay Thai, I usually do 100 roundhouse kick in my right foot and double in the left, as I am a right handed mate and my weakness is striking using my left hand and foot.

16. chof

chof Valued Member

your core of course abs, obliques lower back, try dumbell swings,practice throwing the kick at angles, up from the floor 45, waist height down 45, once your flexibility improves you will be able to have the kick hit any target in the downward motion, head, ribs, etc

17. ChorakedNoi

ChorakedNoi Valued Member

Wandering in late to this long thread, some good information here too.
    The Thai Roundhouse: well first up, using roundhouse to describe the Dtae is kind of like saying the "The Thai punch". Roundhouse is a western term for any rotational kick, but as has been mentioned there are many many versions of this kick in Muay Thai.
    Dtae Dtadt is the most recognized since its the horizontal plane shin kick to leg or ribs.
    Dtae Chieng is probably the next which is the 30-45 degree angle kick mostly seen to the ribs.
    Dtae Dtrong is not seen often in sport Muay, and its a vertical kick. In olden times straight to the groin, or used to attack an extended arm. Its used in the Luk Mai trick Yaun thaod Haui ญวณทอดแห (fisherman casts the net) to attack the hamstrings and sciatic nerve.
    Dtae Dtawadt is that beautiful neck kick that often will finish a fight. It starts off as Dtae dtrong and reverses at it's apex to descend into the neck.

Many of these kicks can be applied to various targets, and their application are often termed in kon muay by appropriate names.
    Take the leg as a target. The Dtae can be applied multiple ways:
    Perpendicular to the femur on the outside for that lovely deep crushing damage.
    Upwards outside will pull the thigh muscle up and cause damage more to the insertion, also lifting the weight from the leg.
    Downward outside does the opposite, more damage to the origin, plants the opponents foot down.
    Add to that variations on what part of the shin you use (edge or flat) and it again changes what you can achieve. So thats just six variations right there for one target and kicking with one leg. Start to add kicking with the other leg to the inside, front of the leg, below the knee, and you can see how quickly the permutations begin to add up.

The key to all is the fact that the power generation begins at the core, with torque created from rotation of the hips. The Illiopsoas is your friend, its the major muscle which connects your legs and torso. Its also postural, which means its working all the time you are awake and does not fatigue easily. Learning the proper mechanics of kicking Thai-style by using this muscle is the reason that even when exhausted a Thai kick still has oomph.
    I wrote a paper in college years (and years and years) ago for a kenesiology class which was about the mechanics of the Thai kick. Maybe I'll try to dig it out. Although kinda rudimentary (I only had a video camera and a strobe to do the analysis) it touches on some of those factors.
    OK this post has gone on way to long.

18. AndyCTB

AndyCTB Valued Member

Some basic tips

The first thing you should do is go along to a reputable Thai Boxing Gym or even better a camp in Thailand.

I came from a TKD background before moving into Muay Thai. What I would like to emphasise is that the Thai roundhouse kick is pretty intuitive. You don't need to waste a great deal of time trying to perform it perfectly at the beginning. Find a good trainer and pad man and just throw the kick to the best of your ability over and over again. Through time, coaching and watching videos on youtube etc your kick will develop. Also remember to stand right in front of pad man at a close distance, stay relaxed, pivot on lead leg, use one arm to pull and the other to cover face, turn hips over into kick and return you leg back to where it left off.

Hope this helps!

19. Fightclubmuay

Fightclubmuay New Member

My training course said for round kick

form my training camp in Thailand. Round kick is advanced for fighter. Our body need to be strong and this technic require experience.

http://www.samkhum.com/en/muaychaiya.html#
    You can see what's my camp train for primitive and authentic Muay chaiya.but seem this website information all of about fundamentals.I mean not enough information for basic.if someone need more.I will provide.
    Kevin

20. lorenzodamarith

lorenzodamarith Project: Chaos!

hello,

you can injure the knee

you can injure the hip

you can break the shin

you can miss your intended target entirely

on knees and hips:
    the joints of the body are intended to move and be moved in certain ranges/directions. by preventing the hip from moving all the way through it's force arch, then the repeated impact force is being transmitted to joints that are not aligned properly to handle such force.

think of jumping of a six foot drop, with legs bent "froggy style" underneath you. while you might get away with this for a while, eventually this type of landing will injure your joints.

on breaking the shin:
    we've all seen fights (particularly mma) in which fighters break shins. most don't seem to know how or why.

this occurs when the shin is not properly angled to take the impact shock. if you look down at your shin you will notice it has a narrow axis (the blade) and a wide axis (the flat part of it). this means that the shin is shaped (approximately) like a board. if you swing a board at a rock, tree or other hard surface you can get two results.

one, you swing the board in a manner similar to a sword, striking with the narrow edge. it often won't break. but if you swing the same board in a manner similar to a paddle, striking with the wide flat, you can break it far more easily.

by stopping the motion of your hips in the round kick, you are very likely to expose the flat of your shin to the impact, greatly increasing the likelihood of injuring your shin.

on missing the target:
    you could hit something other than the target you wanted to hit. even if you can repeatedly hit the intended target, it is far easier to get good force penetration ("effect") with a round kick, if you follow through with the hip, allowing for smoother energy transference (from your frame to the targets frame).

have fun with it.

thanks