Thai style roundhouse kick?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Taliar, Oct 26, 2004.

1. seany85

seany85 Valued Member

there are kicks like raindeer looks back ( i think thats the translation),which can be used as a back kick or like a side kick ( but u dont turn your body fully like a kickboxer would).

2. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

"raindeer looks back " lol i love the original names of moves their always interesting to me.

3. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

tips for tkd guys learning the Muay thai roundkick
    -Think of this kick as a completely different kick to avoid throwing a tkd one
    -Throw your hips into it and roll them over!
    -Remember hit with the shin, not the instep
    -Dead leg! Wear kneebraces to learn to immobilize the knee, remember you want most of your power coming from your body, and core!
    -Remember when throwing this kick in the air, the momentom should carry you around.
    -There is no front leg roundkick, its a shuffle kick if your kicking with your front leg anyways
    There, hope this post helps some tkd guys trying to ditch the tkd round kick and take the thai one in its place.

4. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Muay Thai has alot of kicks, suprising how many they are, just alot of them arent practical enough

5. Slavist

Slavist New Member

Hmm, I don't understand that one. Do you mean that there should be no knee bent at any point? Because K-1 fighters always bent the knee, and so are the guys at the photos.

Thanks in advance!

6. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

Thats just a tip for transitioning from the tkd roundkick to the thai roundkick. What I mean is to reduce reliance on the snap of the knee. Remember the kick should be swung like a baseball bat, not a snap.
    I say this just to get used to the muay thai roundkick.
    The tkd one is almost JUST the knee snapping as the tkd roundkicks are WAY too tkd orientated, you want your whole body into the thai kick(Its not just the snap of the knee). Get what I'm sayin? Eventually you will add the snap in.

See look at mirko's kick here

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  7. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

now look at this tkd style kick
    notice the differences

Attached Files:

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

man thats a great gif of how to kick (the mirko one) im so stealing that ;)

just as a correction though, their is a front leg roundhouse kick, and it doesnt have to be a switch kick. its just quite difficult to get any power into it, and you are never going o knock someone out with it- however if you want a lesson in how to use a lead leg roundhouse without switching watch some footage of Buakaw Por Puramuk, he uses it quite often just to break the other guys rhythm

9. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I've seen some pretty devestating front leg rounds with no shuffle or even going backwards, the trick is to push off with the back leg at just the right moment to make the kick into nerely a jump.

10. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

Alright, my bad, I just thought khun kao once said something like that, he can correct me if i'm wrong, as I am probebly misunderstood. I hope I helped though.
    BTW, how do you do the front legged thai roundkick?

11. Slindsay

I should make clear that is a TKD kick, not a MT one and that it was always aimed at the head, not the body.

12. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

ah, that makes sense that its a tkd style roundkick, thanks for the clairification.
    Yeah, I'v heard once tkd roundkicks that are hard hit the face, they are great for ko'ing dudes.

13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

like I said its not really any kind of powerful kick, but basically you are throwing the kick the same as you would throw a rear leg roundhouse kick. you have to use the "push step" when you do it to get any kind of power

14. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

yeah, when i said shuffle kick thats what I mean't.

15. N47Ø

N47Ø New Member

ok this is more of a question than an argument...
    we were taught that muay thai round houses(to the head) are similar to those of kickboxing with a few differences mainly in hip movement. instead of having your hips at 90 degrees you have them at 45 degrees and you move them backward slightly, this being so that your range is shorter for the muay thai style.
    comments?

16. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

With Thai kicks you don't move or hold your hips back because that would defeat the purpose of generating power from your hips. Rather, you thrust them forward and twist them over hard. I'm not sure what you mean by 90 or 45 degrees but I'm guessing you are talking about how high they are raised. That should depend on your level of flexibility. If you are very flexible, you can perform a full split as you Thai kick, with your hips pushed all the way forward and into the kick. If you are not as flexible, you can compensate for it by angling your body slightly away and into the kick.

17. N47Ø

N47Ø New Member

We probably learn a few different things then, i dont think what we learned was defined by our instructor as a "thai roudhouse", i will try and get a pic of someone at my club doing it(as i have not yet mastered it). This round house we learnt can be done at close quarters/punching distance and still go to the head. It is incredibly hard to do, our instructor demonstrated it, it is very powerfull and very fast. With the degrees im talking about how far you twist your hips. Instead of turning your hips forward by 90 degress (from standard fighting stance - forward facing hips) you move them back 45 degrees, maybe not quite 45 but you do move them back.
    Maybe i will get that great chick back at the club to teach it to me... :love:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  18. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Why do so many people drop their rear hand when doing the thai roundhouse from the rear leg? To me it seems like I can kick harder like that, but it leaves your face wide open.

19. Slindsay

Pankration, another thread basically concluded the point was to sweep away incoming blows and the exposue of the face was minimal because the other hand was allready covering it.

20. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

According to Ultimate Muay thai by Bob Spour the rear hand should sweep in the same arc as the kick when doing a rear round kick, adding impetus to the blow, however pretty much every video I have seen has the fighter sweeping it down opposite to his hips.

I suppose that might help with the recovery back to base.