Thai/Kick Boxing Bull???

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by kickboxingidiot, Jan 1, 2006.

1. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Has anyone heard any serious MT/KB BS?

i.e. Mr Fred bloggs (who is probabloy quite big i./e. 90k plus) and has maybe has had a couple of MT bouts or a couple of amateur boxing bouts is all of a sudden "rated number 5 in K-1"

Or some semi contact champion who went to japan and won 5 million pounds???
    even tho no one in K-1 will have even heard his name :p

Or someone who claims to be a Black Belt in thaiboxin :p

LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2006
  2. Matasorapit

Matasorapit New Member

I see what you are saying.

Many (outside of Thailand) trainers and gyms offer a system similar to martial art belt gradings. Some offer singlets and T shirts while other offer arm bands. Personally it is crazy for the fighters but gives the young people an incentive.

In K-1 the only rating system is done by centralkickboxing.org and their ratings are done the same as any other pro sanctioning body. Felix who runs the system receives alot of slack from people who do not understand how fighters are actually rated but for the true fight fans his system is great.

One of the things that really gets me with unknown people is fame. Fighters regardless of style should be focused on self improvement and challenge not public fame and glory.

I have been involvend in fight sports for near 30 years and still hear of fighters who are suppost to be good yet I had never heard of them. That being said I am also shocked when I actually see that many of these fighters are actually quite good.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The belt ranking system always seems somewhat fraudulent to me. It seems that some gyms have jumped on the belt/sash bandwagon in order to cater to much different crowd than was traditionally associated with those training Muay Thai.

Granted gyms do have to pay the bills and lights and gas aren't given away for free. So this does mean that most do have to run some sort of class that cater to the more general public. The public that will probably not ever become even amatuer fighters let alone pro's.

Personally - I think the whole belt ranking thing for Muay Thai is a sham. It's not rooted in the traditions of Muay Thai and several places that I've worked at as a trainer do just fine without having to resort to these methods of paying the bills.

I think if the gym or the trainer can't instill a sense of progress in people training Muay Thai and explain to the student why there isn't a belt ranking system then I think the trainer needs to reassess his teaching techniques.

4. kickboxingidiot

ok no belt system in MT
    but what about KB?
    WAKO/WKA and many other world ranked associations do a belt system in kickboxing
    what if your school doesnt do belts and someone wants to do rades?
    then they just go to another gym.

mind you this thread is all abou BS
    i..e ppl BS ing ppl about what they have done in thai/kick boxing

5. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Kickboxing idiot Im a bit lost are you complaining about fighters who are ranked higher than they should be or people who just make false claims?

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i cant think of one reputable gym in new zealand that uses belt rankings. none of the Lee gar gyms do- they are all in auckland which is the most expensive place in the country to live in terms of rent. i think its just an easy way to cash in. If you need a belt to keep you motivated you are in the wrong art as far as im concerned.

But yeah ive seen fighters who maybe get more kudos than their skill level deserves. wont name names though ;)

7. Ryo452

Ryo452 Valued Member

If they use belt ranking systems does that mean there not legit and probably woudln't know what there doing?

The reason I asked this is because I was talking to my boxing coach about kickboxing and he said that he has a brown belt in Thai boxing. Does that mean he might not be legit?

8. dexxl

dexxl New Member

LOL brown belt in Thai boxing... AHAHAHAHAHAHA does it come with a floral pattern with those cute buttons? does it come in leather? i'm a size 36, you think he can hook me up with one? LOL that's the funniest stuff i've read all day.

dude, u gotta find another school....

9. Ryo452

Ryo452 Valued Member

I guess I missed the joke.

Well I don't go there to learn Thai Boxing so I think I'll stick with this gym. As far as I know he's competed in many Amatuer Boxing competitions and tough man contest so... he seems to know a little bit about what he's doing.

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well look at the two countries that use belt systems for muay thai- america and england.

how many top muay thai fighters do you see coming from there compared to places like holland, new zealand, australia, and of course thailand, where belt rankings are either quite uncommon (in muay thai) or unheard of. just a thought.

11. kickboxingidiot

actually i was goin on about people makin false claims
    i.e. NOT about people being higher ranked or about belt rankings

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I always lol when I see a Muay Thai site that has a "Shirt ranking system" etc.

I guess its because little kiddies that are looking for a martial art school, want one so they can become a "blackbelt".

Pretty stupid though. The same kids get halfway to the blackbelt, and then quit cause its boring/too hard etc.

Boxing and MT should be ranked on fight record, not what shirt you wear.

13. hkj

hkj Valued Member

this is roffffl <deleted>!
    ok...lets kinda clear something up for the newbs here...
    Traditionally Muay Thai offers no belts,
    Howeverrr, just because you have joined a school who have decided to offer gradings to students in whatever martial arts, you cannot immediately assume they are bad teachers.. that's just narrow minded.
    I have trained MT in hong kong and Thailand and of course there are no belts involved, the knowledge of your own improvement is the only satisfaction you get. Yet during term time im at leeds university where i do kickboxing and the club there does offer belt gradings for kickboxing. I still have great respect for the teachers / masters there. I certainly do not think less of their teaching because their school provides gradings, even though it may be unusual in kickboxing.

ok? :rolleyes:

14. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

I train in a gym in the Uk under WKA and we grade in Thaiboxing. The gym is run by 3 times undisputed World champion Russ Williams. He has produced at least 1 World champion Eugene Valerio, K1 fighter & M1 champion Gordon Minors, European & British champion Neil Parry, reigning Commonwealth & British champion Jaimie Rickets and Spencer Wilding http://www.spencerwilding.com/page2.php

Some people can't see past their own jab.

15. hkj

hkj Valued Member

so ur agreeing with my previous post? :D

16. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Belt systems are fine with me in any art providing they're there for the right reasons - ie, not so the instructor and governing body can make money out of their students by charging extortionate grading fees. My club doesn't use belts
    As for kickboxing BS - another local club is apparently churning out top world-ranked heavyweights, but no one's ever heard of these guys and having paid them a visit, it'd have to be heavyweight tiddlywinks or something because no one there had the gas to go a whole round in sparring, let alone a whole full contact fight

17. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

Oh yes. For the record only two of those fighters has graded to B/B most people don't bother, but the choice is there. Meant to post earlier but have just got round to it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006