TextBook Number 4

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW88, Sep 26, 2006.

1. KSW88

KSW88 Valued Member

Textbook Number four, whats going to be in it? When will it come?

How much will this new edition to the library cost, and how old will the pictures and writting be? Who will demonstrate the techniques? Will it offer more history or esoteric insight? Will this book change our currently practiced advanced level sets?

2. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I believe all aspects of this book will be new.
    As for changing the sets, who knows, We are constently "updating" our techniques and forms here in Houston area. KJn's Harmon and several other senior masters got together recently to come to an "agreement" on how forms were to be done, So maybe the revisions will be in the new text. As for time of availibility, I believe KJn told me they were in the final editing process of it, but he really wasn't clear, so I'm assuming maybe at the end of next year. As for the cost I'm hoping it will be bout the same price as textbook 3. Sorry I couldn't be clearer.

3. CKJNstudent

CKJNstudent Valued Member

These updates your talking about, how will they let everyone know about these changes? I thought this new text book was for KSaN and above. Also im curious, why would a technique or form need an update? thanks

4. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Through the trickle down effect. Through the years different ppls interpretations have changed the curriculum, hence why the text book was needed. these updates are just adding detail in which the books couldn't/didn't show.

5. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I think that the cause for the "updates" are many. Here are some that I can think of.

1. Kuk Sa Nym taught differently to different people.
    2. People understood what they were taught differently.
    3. People forget exactly what they were taught and make something up to fill the gap.
    4. People change what they are taught (consciously or unconsciously) to match their own personality.
    5. People interpret the form differently than the intent and over time change the form to match that interpretation.
    6. Kuk Sa Nym decides to make a change.
    7. Any combination of the above.

When I think about the problem of keeping everyone on the same page, it makes my head hurt. This is a pretty hard problem to solve with an organization that is so geographically dispersed. I think KSN is doing a good job at it though.

6. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

Quite true... the forms as I originally learned them were different (quite different, in the case of Joong Geup Hyung) than what is practiced now. And I was taught those forms directly by a 7th dahn so I don't think that it was a matter of forgetfulness or interpretation. Same thing with the techniques... they've um, shifted a bit :) since I originally learned them.

Of course, when I originally learned them (about 10 years ago) a lot of things were different :D

7. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

OK here goes.

As far as interpretation goes there is none. KSN has set himself up to be the source. as long as he is around why is there room for interpretation?

the constant "revision" is supposed to be an effort to maintain "quality standards" but it never seems to end. every few years thing change and everyone is expected to "relearn" the new way to do things. I think thats a little goofy. If it's right 10 years ago, then it's right today.

I do agree that people around the world need to constantly practice correctly to maintain fundamental quality, but if "correctly " constantly changes, then what's the point? this is a recipe for technical disaster.

the recent changes in stuff over the last few years and this-----
    have all been in preparation for handing off the technical baton to Sung Jin and Alex, so they are the technical authority for the future. With the exodus of many top masters in the last 10-15 years, any resistance to this eventuality is gone.

8. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I honestly believe that once a student, any student, does not have direct contact with his instructor on a frequent basis, the stuff he practices and teaches will slowly change. I think this is human nature. So if KSN ideas slowly change and all the senior master's ideas slowly change, it only makes sense that when they get together on rare occasions that there will be differences. When this trickles down to students we see the change as a discrete difference, whereas the student had been continously slowly changing. I liken this to a baby growing up. The parents don't notice that the kid is taller, but the uncle who hasn't seen the kid in month is floored by how much bigger the kid is.

I don't think there is an evil plan to set Master Sung Jin and Alex up as the new technical sources. This is a family martial art, they will get the reigns no matter what.

Having said that, the recent "updates" I just learned included things that I used to practice when I practiced under Master Harmon's lineage. So this new set of updates is not all about doing it one master's way.