Texas Tournament

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by TXKukSoolBB, Aug 4, 2005.

1. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

How many KSWer's will be attending the Texas Tournmanent in Houston (Kingwood) this year??

2. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I really wish I could, but there is no way I can afford the trip. I'm really looking forward to my first competition as a blackbelt. However, it looks like that will be in St. Louis of '06.

3. TXKukSoolBB

Sorry you can't make it. I will take some pictures and post them on our school website. It won't be as crowded this year as the World Championships are in Korea in October. That is where I would love to go...but like you, it is too expensive for me. I guess I could start saving up for 2008.

4. ember

ember Valued Member

I haven't registered yet, but I'm planning to.

5. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Same here. I joined the local dojang when KSN Tommy was detailing the trip to Korea so it was a little short notice for the World Tournament. However, I live 45 minutes from Kingwood, so I think my daughter and I are going to try the Texas tournament. It will be my first, so I'm not really sure what to expect. We're supposed to start tournament training this month, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. I've got a pretty good handle on Cho Geup Hyung, so I think I'm going to try and compete in forms. Quick question...what's the point in underbelt sparring if there is no contact? How do you score?

6. CraigKSW

CraigKSW New Member

you guys are so lucky to have all these tournaments in the US. We only have the UK and usually the European tournaments across here!!

I'm not sure if your tournaments are different to ours but in sparring there is contact. They say its light to no contact but usually ends up being quite a bit heavier. You score a point by hitting to head or the body above waist. you cannot hit the back of your opponent. Kick to the head scores 2 points, 1 point for everywhere else!!

7. TXKukSoolBB

It is the same here. At every tournament that I have participated in...there have been a few "solid" contacts. I don't think they were on purpose...but accidents happen. I would call it light to moderate contact. That is why we wear the gloves, foot pads, helmet, mouthpiece and cup! (guys only obviously) We don't don' wear the check protector. I have often walked away with bruises and have had the air knocked out of me a few times.

8. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

I wish I could go to Texas this year but my company does not give me enough vacation time to do much with, so it's unfortunately out of the question.

We had a benefit tournament not too long ago and we have the same rules for our sparring (light or no contact) and I still came out of there with a couple bruises and a headache. In fact, the last team sparring match was ended because of a cut over the eye on one of our fighters. These things do happen on occasion - you are throwing kicks and punches after all. Something is bound to land solid once in a while.

9. CraigKSW

CraigKSW New Member

Team sparring?? We don't do that across here - boo. Would be quite cool though!

What other events can you do? I just promoted to black belt this year so have not competed at BB level but we can enter:

Forms, techniques, sparring, breaking, sword form, staff form, staff sparring, self defence. Oh and knife throwing!

Are the US tournaments any different? I'm gonna try and come over next year, prob Texas area seeing as how HQ is there. My fiance is a Jkn also so it's easy convincing her!!!

10. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

I hope I didn't mislead you here: our 'team sparring' is only a team of 4 on each side and we fight one at a time tallying points. At the end of the four matches, the total points are added up and the winner takes all: a plaque that travels between 2 schools in our area with that years' winners listed on it.

Team sparring in the sense of an all out melee would be pretty fun though! :)

11. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

Wish I could go to the Texas thing, meeting you people would be fun. Too far away though :(

JSun, had my first tournament last April at St. Louis. Fun stuff. Enjoy yours :)

12. TXKukSoolBB

They are basically the same. If you go to the headquarters website, you can view the registration forms and the events offered. Maybe we will see you next year.

13. Wolf

Anyone want to contribute to the "Send Paul To Texas" fund. It's a very noble cause! :D

14. TXKukSoolBB

I'm in Paul!
    [​IMG]

15. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

Well as long as you're doing handouts, I could use some help with my tuition (hint, hint) :D

16. Wolf

How very kind. All my monetary woes are a thing of the past!

17. TXKukSoolBB

Glad to help!

18. JKN_RSM

JKN_RSM New Member

Hi CraigKSw, who's your instructor and whats your classes like? Its always good hearing about the types of classes that other schools do.

Thanks

19. CraigKSW

CraigKSW New Member

I train in Edinburgh, Scotland under SBN Don Mackenzie.

Class is very varied. We usually always do kicks though at the start after a warm up. Either as fitness exercise kicking as fast as possible from low stances (without pads) to point of killing us :D or more technical. Then sometimes we go over techniques, forms or weapons - very rarely would we do all 3 in one night. But the way he teaches forms etc is different each time as well!

We just got new mats so we've been doing lots of acrobatics and breakfalls. SBN usually just goes with how he's feeling that day - he might make the class more fitness oriented, doing circuits and pad work etc. Or more traditional spending time on stuff like ki breathing. We also do a lot of self defence work, grappling etc and occasionally tournament sparring - though we tend not to spend too much time on this as he (..and me I supose) believe that it's better to learn to defend yourself properly than to win medals!!

How does that compare with everyone elses classes??

Where are you based Jkn??

Later dudes

20. KSWDragon

KSWDragon New Member

Good Luck guys to those competing at the tournament