Testosterone booster

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Vitty, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

I had a quick search but couldn't find anything,

My S&C trainer suggested to me today about looking at getting testosterone booster to beef up a bit with lean muscle and I'm just wondering people's opinions on them? Is it worth doing or is it just a waste of time, any side effects etc?

Thanks.

2. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

Testosterone is a hormone that is responsible for the growth of secondary male sexual characteristics. Although it is mainly present in men, testosterone can also be found in small quantities in women. It is necessary for bone and muscle production, and also to increase libido. Many times, the testosterone level in the body goes down because of less production of the hormone. Such a condition may arise due to altered testicular function, aging and hereditary disorders.

In case of low testosterone levels, one might experience symptoms like irritability, mood swings, weight gain, low sexual desire, depression, poor concentration, tiredness and erectile dysfunction. In such cases, testosterone boosters are prescribed. Testosterone supplements are also used by bodybuilders and athletes to increase muscle mass, performance, strength and size. They are available as oral supplements, transdermal patches as well as injections. However, the use of such supplements is not devoid of side effects. Given below are the various testosterone boosters side effects.

Physiological Side Effects

Dermal reactions that usually occur at the site of application for transdermal testosterone include irritation, mild to moderate erythema, induration, itching and burning as well as allergic contact dermatitis (pruritus, vesicles, rashes and burn-like blisters).

Females may experience dermatological side effects like hirsutism, acne, male-patterned baldness and seborrhea.

Men can suffer from premature baldness, acne and oily skin. Prolonged use may also lead to breast development. Another major side effect in men is shrinking of testicles.

Testosterone boosters cause the muscle tissues to grow abnormally. Although they increase the muscle mass at a fast rate, they do not increase the strength of tendons and ligaments. This results in myalgia, muscle tears, ligament injuries and tendon ruptures.

» The body may slow down or even stop the natural production of testosterone once you start using testosterone boosters. This is because of the permanent shrinking of testicles. Since they are responsible for the production of testosterone, restoring natural production of the hormone will be impossible.

Use of testosterone boosters has long been linked to kidney damage. It disrupts the reabsorption of sodium and leads to glomerular injury which alters the normal renal functions. The symptoms include retention of water, nitrogen, potassium, sodium and phosphorus as well as decreased excretion of calcium through urine.

Cardiovascular side effects include hypertension and heart failure. However, the occurrence of such physiological effects depends on the endogenous testosterone levels as well as the type of supplement used.

It may also cause liver damage or liver cancer. Side effects related to the liver include life-threatening peliosis hepatis and various hepatic abnormalities like hepatic neoplasms and hepatocellular carcinomas. Cholestatic hepatitis, jaundice, and abnormal liver function are other side effects of testosterone boosters.

Gastrointestinal side effects of testosterone boosters include nausea and vomiting.

Genitourinary side effects like oligospermia, priapism, excessive stimulation, decreased ejaculatory volume and a weak urinary system are common with the usage of testosterone boosters. Urine obstruction due to prostate enlargement is also seen (commonly in older males). Females experience side effects like irreversible clitomegaly, voice deepening and menstrual abnormalities.

Alteration in clotting factors and increased red cell production and anemia are other side effects of testosterone boosters.

It aggravates sleep apnea in obese individuals as well as those suffering from lung diseases.

An urge to cough, coughing fits, respiratory distress is also experienced.

Elevated levels of calcium in the blood has been reported in immobilized patients or those suffering from metastatic breast cancer.

Psychological Side Effects

Testosterone boosters can cause various mood changes in a person, similar to individuals who are suffering from psychiatric disorders. The boosters can make the individual more hostile, aggressive and irritable.

Hot flashes are common among these individuals. A person might also sink into depression due to the use of such supplements.

Other psychological side effects include increased or decreased libido, headache, depression, anxiety or generalized paresthesia.

Considering the kind of damage that excessive and prolonged use of these supplements can cause, their possession and sale is illegal in many countries.
    Therefore, it is important that you use only those boosters that are medically approved and prescribed.
    In case of athletes, the use of such steroid supplements might result in their elimination from active competition.
    Given the controversy surrounding its use, it is strictly advised that you use a testosterone booster only under the supervision of a healthcare professional.
    This will also make it easier to deal with testosterone boosters side effects or complications, if any.

Disclaimer: This is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice.

3. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

I got to admit that was a lot more information than I was expecting to get about this lol, thanks for that though, it seems to of covered just about everything.

4. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Unless you've peaked at how much muscle mass you can put on I don't really see the point.

5. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

I'm more at the other end of scale, I have an uphill battle to put on any muscle mass at all so the trainer thought it might help to kickstart some muscle building.

6. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

'Natural' test boosters give very little performance gain unless you go down the PH route.

Don’t get me wrong there’s little harm to be caused by putting down a gram of tribulus a day but i doubt you'll gain much from it.

DAA is the most effective compound IME.

The issue you'll have is that most OTC test boosters will work only on the free levels of test, which while fun to have sky high wont effect size r performance much.

If you can’t gain you don’t eat enough or don’t train hard enough, get those in order first.

Who’s your S+C coach? I’d be weary of anyone who jumps to hormone manipulation ahead of just lots of steak and potato

7. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

How long have you been lifting for?

8. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

A hormonal system is a finely tuned machine (at least with men :D) so if it is working well, don't mess with it. You might get it to make more muscle, but the rest of your body will be affected in one way or other.

Eat healthy and eat lots of protein combined with the right exercises.

9. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

He's a boxing guy, he gave me a few diet plans and I'm currently consuming about 4,000 cals a day and today he just dropped the idea of boosters.

I've been lifting on and off for about 4 years I think but apparently not long enough at any one time to see any decent gains, I've gotten to 91kg once before but it was all flab around my stomach and I lost it and went back to 85kg.

It seems that the boosters are a bad idea so I'll have to focus more on my eating and lifting plans, my fitness is improving so I'm seeing some gains, now I just have to get my mass and weight in check.

10. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

I read an article once, sorry I cant remember where or provide a link but essentially it boiled down to the fact that sure some OTC test boosters have limited studies to show they improved testosterone by approx 30% but to have any actual effect on muscle mass you would need to boost it by several thousand %

In other words, "natural testosterone boosters" are worthless for enhancing muscle building, it did say they do help some people with reduced libido though but thats all.

11. righty

righty Valued Member

The best test booster is consistent and solid resistance training backed up with appropriate diet.

On and off does not cut it.

12. Antoniopalacios

Antoniopalacios New Member

The best and safest ways to increase testosterone production are diet and exercise. Get your fill of essential vitamins such as vitamin D & B6, include healthful fats, essential fatty acids, zinc, selenium etc. in your diet. You’ll need some fat too, so have chicken and beef to improve testosterone production. Engage in mild to moderate exercises daily, and you’ll notice a gradual improvement in testosterone levels. Nutritional supplements can be of great use if you have unusually low testosterone.

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  14. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

TBH from what I remember reading in physiology journals the best natural testosterone booster is consistent and regular sex! How's that for getting to eat you cake and keep it too ;' D

LFD

15. Antoniopalacios

Antoniopalacios New Member

Testosterone boosters are definitely beneficial. You should just be careful about which one you use, because there are so many of them in the market, and not all of them are genuine. I’d recommend using a natural testosterone booster like Ageless Male. It contains Testofen, composed of fenugreek seed extract that elevates testosterone and enhances sex drive and stamina. You can use it to beef up your muscles and gain a fitter physique if you follow a strict exercise regime regularly. It has worked great for me so far, so I hope it gives you the same results!

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Watch Braveheart. That's an excellent testosterone booster right there.

[​IMG]

17. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Dude, OP, roids? I'd watch some documentaries on the topic before ever considering it if I were you. If the mountain of literature for why it's an unwise decision isn't enough to sway you, maybe video evidence of the side-effects will be.

LOL!

18. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

Yeah it sounds like test boosters aren't the way to go, I'll just stick to eating like 7 meals a day and working harder in the gym.

19. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Original Poster, your 25, don't take that crap. It leads to acne and lower sperm count (not good if you want kids) and you may end up being weaker when your done than when you first started.

20. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello

Simple boost testosterone solution:

1) Look at pictures of naked women you find attractive regularly

Surely an obviousity?

2) Consume plenty of Saturated Fat

Your body makes your hormones from your Saturated Fat intake. Including testosterone, cholesterol (important !).

Hence why folks on really low-fat diets tend to feel depressed, then suicidal (as well as looking like crinkled newspaper) after a few weeks of denying themselves an essential nutrient that human beings need for energy, rebuild etc.

3) Lift Weights, Do Resistance Work

It's not necessarily about how much work you do (volume). But often the quality and intensity (depending on your goals and reasons for training) of your work.

And consistency. Whether you train daily but really low reps and sets. Or whether you train twice a month. Just keep to what you're doing.

Limit your sessions to no more than 1.15hrs. In fact if you can get your sessions done in under 1 hour that's better still.

You should be able to gauge whether you're overtraining easily enough. The first way with regards to whether you trained for too long is - Do you feel horny within about an hour or so of finishing your training? If so great. Testosterone levels have risen.

Make sure you're not overtraining in general. Each person is different. And responds best to a certain training, sets, reps etc ratio (again depending on your purpose and desired end result).

Getting a balance between training, eating, resting is the most important thing in this regard.

Good Luck

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013