Testing tonight

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KellyOwens, Sep 15, 2006.

1. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Hi All! My last grading was in May and I was eligible to test in July but because my instructor's step-son died (he was hit in the chest with a softball) I wasn't able to. There was no test scheduled in August so I'm finally getting to test tonight :) .

I'm currently very early pg so thought for sure it wouldn't be possible but my instructor said he'd modify my grading (Obviously I won't be able to spar but I'm guessing I'll have to do some attack/counter drills with light/no contact). I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm excited because I'm testing directly under MY instructor rather than the head instructor (she's at a different school in a different town...we never train under her). This is the first time we've ever tested under our instructor; it'll be a nice switch. The gradings will be done this way from now on. It brings some changes with it...my instructor will now include self-defense as part of our testing and the grading will largely be done in Korean.

Something I personally appreciate is that my instructor is very practical and we won't be expected to do 6-8 kicks in a combo of the grading instructor's choosing. I'm not kidding, this is an example of something she might come up with: jump back roundhouse, skipping roundhouse, switch, step back kick, running side kick with the back leg. She says it extremely fast and quickly begins counting...most of the time the students just stand there because they have no idea what she said :rolleyes: .

Anyway, all that to say I'm a little nervous because I'm not sure what to expect but I'm excited because the changes will be good.

Kelly

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Good Luck on your test :)

3. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Yeah good luck and let us know how it goes!

4. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Hey all, grading went well. It was much more relaxed although I was still a little nervous :) .

I passed but I won't be getting my belt until Friday (they're not in yet). We're getting new certificates too...very nice!

My son (he's 9) tested for 2nd gup and did extremely well. He missed a couple of the questions and had to know the answers by tonight (he ended up writing a paper on it).

I did alright. I know my form inside and out but while doing it I was at the very side of the room and came within a few inches of someone while doing my kick, punch punch (sam jang) and my mind went completely blank for about 2 seconds. I recovered okay but had already said to the person: "ahhh, I can't believe I looked at you!" (he's a fellow student):eek: .

I felt a little blah during my kicks (early pregnancy stuff) and know I can do better but so does my instructor and that helps.

I'm extremely thrilled to be a green belt (6th gup)! I feel like I've been a 7th gup forever (it's only been almost 5 months but it just SEEMS like it's been a long time :D ).

Anyway, thanks for taking an interest :love: .

Kelly

5. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Way to go Kelly! Good for you! My son (9 also) and I have testing on Oct 13th (my son for Brown/Me for Green). Hope I do as well as you did. Hug your son for me! :D

6. weatherbee1982

weatherbee1982 New Member

Good job, Kelly! :) Also, same goes for your son.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The two of you kick butt and let us know how you do!

8. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

You guys are so great!! Thanks for the congrats! We finally got our belts Tuesday night at class. We're ordering from a different company now and the belts are so soft...no having to break them in! They're a little wider than our other ones tool; we were all pretty happy with them :D .

I did well...got "A's" on everything (we used to score with numbers but switched to letter grading and checks...works out well for the kids who are used to that kind of scoring in school).

My son did well for an advanced belt test (B+ to B on everything). He was disappointed but I reminded him that he didn't test for an advanced belt only but for a "senior" belt (2nd gup). Well, he's still disappointed but it just pushes him to work harder :D .

So I'm officially a green belt now (6th gup) and happy to have made it this far.

I can't imagine I'll be able to test again during pregnancy since I'm considered an advanced belt. I'd feel funny moving up in rank and not sparring anyway...just seems not right somehow. Although my instructor knows my current ability and one could argue that yes I spar well enough to advance BUT months of not sparring is going to change that.

I'm trying to keep up a good exercise routine though, so hopefully I'll still have a decent level of physical fitness after the little peanut arrives.

Kelly

9. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Congrats!! Be careful mind!! When is your due date?? Mines is 22 March

10. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Congratulations on passing the test and the new addition to the family. At least you're not doing the late pregnancy part during the hot summer months. Cheers.

11. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Hey Gem, I'm due April 30th (it was May 2nd but the u/s changed that).

Yeah, my instructor told me through the whole test to "be careful" and kept asking if I was doing okay :) . I did get up a lot during the test (which I had permission to do) because of "baby on the bladder" :rolleyes: .

Ular Sawa, I'm pretty thrilled to be avoiding summer while pregnant :D !

Kelly