Testing Day

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Little Robin, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Little Robin

Little Robin Valued Member

Ouch! Just finished my test for 3rd Dahn in Kong Shin Bup Hapkido. A long day with about 10 k of running in total, a rather tough obstacle course (finally made it up the peg board!), a very messy mud run, then all forms in 4 directions up to 3rd Dahn, sword cutting challenge, weapons forms, and then all techniques from white belt up, weapons techniques also, followed by board and brick breaking. Oh...and all starting before 6am and running until completion. Quite the challenge but we got through it! The thing is SajaNim Timmeran is not shy at failing anybody and you really have to EARN your rank! We'll find out how we did at tomorrow nights ceremony.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm sure you did yourself proud!

Mitch

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Good luck!

What do you cut with the sword? Tatami?

4. Little Robin

No not Tatami. There were 3 cuts that had to be done in succession. First was an upward drawing cut from the scabbard to a plastic bottle hung from a thread. Then without stopping, on to a spinning low cut to a 1/2 board balanced upright on the ground. And then finally continuing on with the spin with an upward slice toward another bottle hanging by a thread. One-two-three with continuous motion.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Sounds like a fun testing day!

6. Little Robin

I passed.
    And yes it was a "fun" testing day..still feeling it though. But was up early again yesterday for more training and seminars with some great Masters and Grandmasters. More today!

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Congratulations.

8. Dwi Chugi

Dwi Chugi Valued Member

Congratulations!

9. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Sounds interesting. Congrats! In Shinkendo, the kiriage (rising cut) is typically preceded by a draw and setup. Is there a reason you are required to draw and cut from the saya (or whatever the scabbard is called in your art)? Just curious, as I'm not familiar with other sword arts. Thanks! :)

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Congrats!