Testimonials needed please!

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by AuntiePink, Mar 10, 2006.

1. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

Hiya! I'm doing some stuff for the UK Martial Arts Festival for People with Disabilities A.K.A. Breaking Down Barriers. Right now I'm working on a brochure for delegates to take home after activities day to further encourage them to take up a martial art and I'd like the main theme of this to be real feedback from those already involved.

I already have a few quotes from students that I know but as usual I want more ;) If you are a disabled MA student or teacher please consider sending me a couple of lines I can use to tell people the benefits MA has brought you.

Further details of this and previous years festivals can be found here...

:love:

2. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

Well,AP,I may not be disabled per se,but I've recently fractured my right hand,so I have had the opportunity to explore the possibilities of training with one good hand.
    Pak Serak,the founder of Pentjak Silat,was said to have only one good arm and one good leg,but Silat is known as a highly effective marial art.
    I have learned that having my right hand in a cast leaves me with an opening,which I must compensate in one way or another.I have practiced techniques which do just that.

3. AuntiePink

Thank you, Zealot! I was feeling extremely lonely in here till that post ;)

And I'll do some research on silat too, that's really interesting.

Hope the hand gets better soon! :love:

4. iHeretic

iHeretic Not-for-Prophet

I'm not sure what to say, but ask me some questions and I'm sure I can bullplop you an answer ;)

/b/

5. arumseytkd

arumseytkd New Member

I teach a handicap student. I may of be of some help

I don't know what your exactly looking for, but here goes. I teach tae kwon do and ofcourse TKD is mainly a kicking art. So it gets me thinking as far as techniques to come up for her. She is a red belt in our system (two away from black). In fact I have left it up to her if she would like to introduce a new class with are organization that we teach threw - Community Activities Inc. (web site coming soon). The class would be geared for the handicapped wheel chaired bound. Hopefully we can get ahold of the Easter Seals (here in the states) get something started in conjunction for them. But honestly as far as what to say or put on handouts to pass out I am at a lost on that myself. Really the only other advice is just be your self when teaching the disable and say what comes to mind. Remember that the main goals of most if not all martial arts is to promote health, self-esteem, and self-confidence. I hope this helps and maybe we can work together on this to try and come up with some information to hand out.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

AP, if MAP can help with this event at all, PM me as we'd be more than happy to. A forum of this size could draw in some good publicity.

7. AuntiePink

Thanks everyone! I'll be sitting down for a serious hour or two later so I'll get back properly then but just wanted to send you all a big {{cuddle}} for your input!

:love: